My First Tractor Project...

  • This tractor was given to me by generous friend. His father bought it new in 1974 and it\'s been used every year since then, though only on a relatively small garden, and occasional hay fields. It shows a little over 1400 hours, though the I don\'t know if the hour gauge is still working. With such a small initial investment (they even delivered it)...I have been doing my best to get it back to original shape, with the exception of the seat. Once I got it to start and run, I moved forward with the project. It runs great, non smoke, hydraulics work fine. It just looks bad. I have purchased the following; New Generator, Voltage Regulator, Front Tires and Wheels, Cushioned Seat with arm rest, Steering Wheel, Gauge Cluster, Decals, Headlight Switch, fuel valve and fuel gauge sending unit. I also relined the inside of the Gas Tank with a \"Pour Tank Process\". The Sheet metal was in pretty bad shape, but just from weather. It had pitted up pretty bad on the surface. After a good pressure washing, wire wheeling and sanding, I skimmed it with Polyester body filler, and then again in spots with glazing putty which removed most of the pitting. Sanded again down to smoother finish...and painted Ford Blue with Valspar Ford Blue Implement and Tractor Enamel. I am starting re-assembly now. I will be painting Wheels and Fenders putty gray primer. I enjoy bringing old things back to life with as much of the original look as possible. This is my second project. My first was a 77 Jeep CJ-7 which I use now as my daily driver.


To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!