Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how everyone feels about tractor restoration.do you repaint them or get them running and leave their work clothes on to tell their life story. i have mixed feelings on this topic

·
Registered
849 Posts
I used to be in the antique farm engine hobby. Some guys would just get them running and show them as found. Others
would go wild giving them clear coat paint and filling in the rough castings with filler to give them a mirror finnish. I liked them both ways.
The trouble is that if you have to rework sheet metal of rebuild
the engine with new parts and paint the repaired and new parts
mixed with old original does not look good. You have to go
one way or another.
Just my opinion
Rodster

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
MY vote is to always repaint and clear them. Keeping them dirty and rusty always drove me nuts. Why restore the engine and not the paint. Its all part of the process in my opinion.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I like them with a new fresh coat of paint make them look new again.
Jody

·
Registered
849 Posts
There are 3 ways to do it
!. As found
2. Restored correctly as new
3. Over restored ( too much dazzle ) Chrome parts clear coat paint
Rodster

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I prefer the 1 year old look. Original paint colors with a bit of dirt to show it actually runs. Tractors and engines seem incomplete without a drip of oil or gas someplace, a sign it's still alive.

Mark

·
91 Posts
I'm with mark on this one and if you look up the word restore you find many different angles but they all point back to this statment
RESTORE implies a return to an original condition
But to each their own, the shiney smooth paint jobs are nice to look at

Archie

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
See I feel it depends on what you want to do with it. OK a TRUE restore would be using all parts and suplys from the idems time. SO leolav that would mean no nice clear coat paint on those nice old cars. :D :D

Now a tractor? If I went the to use route, I would go with the nice paint only becouse it is tougher then the old stuff. But just for show? I would not use it, becouse it is just TO shiny. Also I am a firm beliver in making it better then new under the skin. If you can get the spec's spot on, and add some better matireals, I say go for it. I know with car motors anyway there is a LOT you can do, and keep a stock look under the hood.

Now my REAL resto project? My 70 Mustang. Will it be stock? Nope, Will it look like something that came off the line? Yup. Here is my plans for my 70 coupe. factury 302/c4, ac, ps, standerd inside except for centerconsol.

When New new, it will be a 351w/c4, ac ps pb[from a machI],stock 14"steel wheels with dog dish caps, dule exoust with valance cutouts[also from machI] Will the motor be stock? Hell no, but it will LOOK that way. Should be a REAL sleeper with the stock kinda ugly light ivy yellow paint.:D

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Work Them

If I own it it has to earn it's keep.Tractors look good with mud on them.To me it means the damn thing made me some money.When I win the lottery all my machines will get the treatment ,but until then,Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to work we go.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
It's just good maintenance to keep the worn spots from rusting by using a little paint, even if it's on a machine your using daily.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I do

PM i do.just not much time for wax jobs. In the winter I do a project every year ,just to get past the cabin fever.Redoing my 1960 cub this year.Will do a nice job,so she looks pretty. Now that does not mean it gets to retire. If it gets scratched up next year,them theres the brakes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
M restoration of my 56 lo boy began a few months back when my neighbor insisted I take off the tank and re-paint it as is was getting pretty pink in color and rusting. We took it all apart and repainted the hood, grille and doglegs. The chrome came real clean too. The we made a new screen out of 1/4" galv. screening too. when asked about the ears sticking out of the hood, well that was for headlights. I found some new locally. THat got the bug going. I became a member of this board and the Farmall cub board and with help got lotsa goot tips. Then I got a new wiring harness and installed it. Before it got cold I have removed the dash, fenders and seat and have re-painted them. In the spring I will continue with the rear wheels and new brakes. It sure feels good walking by it and seeing the progress!

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by freebird
M restoration of my 56 lo boy began a few months back when my neighbor insisted I take off the tank and re-paint it as is was getting pretty pink in color and rusting. We took it all apart and repainted the hood, grille and doglegs. The chrome came real clean too. The we made a new screen out of 1/4" galv. screening too. when asked about the ears sticking out of the hood, well that was for headlights. I found some new locally. THat got the bug going. I became a member of this board and the Farmall cub board and with help got lotsa goot tips. Then I got a new wiring harness and installed it. Before it got cold I have removed the dash, fenders and seat and have re-painted them. In the spring I will continue with the rear wheels and new brakes. It sure feels good walking by it and seeing the progress!
Sounds nice. How about some pictures as it progresses.:smiles:

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Do I keep it Yellow

This is the clothes it came in.But it sure would look nice as a lady in red.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
This one was free

I have gone over this A and figured out what it needs.Starter is missing,Exhaust lift needs quite a few pieces,tires are dry rotted,ignition system has been canibalized,the grille is rotted off on the bottom,plus all the little things along the way.The engine is free,all the driveline seems to function properly,the radiator looks like at one time it was replaced.
My question is do I fix it or sell it?I have a buyer for it,he wants it because it is a very early A. I don't have the serial number in front of me.I like the size and look of this machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
take a few hours 1 afternoon see if you can make it run. thos emagnetos are fairly simple use your torch run acetylene in the carb throat. this eliminates all the problems with the fuel system. you at least know how the engine runs now if it runs good clean up the fuel system and put some gas in. it's now worth twice as much

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I think that you should do what ever you do to the inside to the outside which would translate into a paint job.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
For a working girl......I say pressure wash her real good........touch her up and put her to work! My old Cub 154 Lo Boy was in the equipment building in pieces for almost 10 years and didn't need anything. Just puttin' back together. Lasted me 10 years and was runnin' like a champ when I traded her in.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Re: This one was free

Originally posted by slipshod
I have gone over this A and figured out what it needs.Starter is missing,Exhaust lift needs quite a few pieces,tires are dry rotted,ignition system has been canibalized,the grille is rotted off on the bottom,plus all the little things along the way.The engine is free,all the driveline seems to function properly,the radiator looks like at one time it was replaced.
My question is do I fix it or sell it?I have a buyer for it,he wants it because it is a very early A. I don't have the serial number in front of me.I like the size and look of this machine.
Slips, unless it's had some pieces changed that's not a REAL early A. Judging from the short filter housing, rubber gearshift knob (missing) and place for a starter, I'd say 45-46?
Am I close?

To me restored means to bring it back to the shape and condition it was in when it left the dealer ship in the first place, no extra chrome ect, but definetly a new paint job, no grease/oil leaks ect.

There's nothing wrong with leaving them original paint etc, but that's not restored, that's a running original.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts