Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
WOW! I have to leave shortly, so I did not have time to read all the text, but I did go through every page and see the pics. Helps to have a broadband connection!

Fascinating site. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
VERY interesting and intriguing web site Durwood! Elena is not to shabby lookin' either! ;) :D I enjoyed the read and pictures VERY much! Thanks for posting that! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks ....I wish she had an e-mail or a guest book i could sign thanking her for the info and maybe begging for a ride on the Kaw. I went back and reread it and the kindergarten pictures about make me cry looking at those precious children and wondering what happened to them. I remember hearing about it when it happened but it never sunk in how bad it was.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Durwood, it looked to me like she posted her mailing address at the end of the story.

Ukraine 03187 Kiev-187 Zabolotnogo 20/A Post Box 25 Elena

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
wow.. very interesting...

what a mess... scarey.. it could happen here i guess... i know we need nuc power but the risks are sure high if there ever were an accident..

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I have friends in Kiev, and they have talked a little about that day. It was a much worse day than what we experienced here in America on Sept. 11, 2001. And their government handled everything so very badly. Thank you very much Durwood! These are the first "unofficial"photos I have seen of a place I have heard quite a bit about over the years. I have heard it described as an area roughly the size of Connecticutt that is totally unliveable. Seeing it through this woman's eyes made it a little easier to grasp.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you didn't know about the radiation it looks like a lot of the pictures in that part of the world today. They had a great propaganda machine during the cold war. I really feel sorry for the people, they are the ones that suffered after their great revolution and they continue to suffer today because of the poor economy.

Nuclear power if handled correctly with the proper engineering designs and safeguards can be a viable energy source. Not perfect and without problems but a good source of energy. The communists copied and reverse engineered a lot of our stuff. They just didn;t build them to the same specs and took a lot of shortcuts. If I remember correctly that reactor was a poor copy that sidn;t have the same safeguards ours used to. Radiation scares the he&# out of me, you cant see it, taste it, or smell it. Things start to fall out and it is all down hill from there!:dazed:

I am not sure how much radiation is "safe" for a person to absorb in a period of time but hanging around the reactor and town is more than you should get in a lifetime! All the dosimeter is doing is telling you how much you are getting. You cant just take a shower and wash it off in some cases.

I read a story about one of the Russian chopper pilots that was flying around during the accident. He new he was going to die but did everything he could to help people out and try and drop sand and graphite on the fire. I think he saved quite a few people, at least temporarly. I think that is where all those trucks and choppers in some of the pictures came from is the clean up attempts. They are contimanated and can't be used elswhere without hurting other folks.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Thats weired to see a city like that in todays time thats a ghost town. Creeps me out:hide:
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Hey Durwood, my wife and I like the link so much we emailed it to my daughter's science teacher and suggested that it might be a good classroom discussion piece. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Thanks Durwood. As many stories as I have seen and read over the years about it, I still have trouble comprehending it. I would think her motorcycle would retain some of the radiation as well as her even after leaving the area.

Mark

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
not to get off of the subject.. but I bet it would be nice to be able to open that Ninja up with no fear of other cars or getting pulled over on those straight aways...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Originally posted by wheely_boy
I'd be a little leary of an occasional wolf or two headed goat jumping out in front of me.:eek:mg:
That is funny, but maybe not too far off the truth. That whole place would be real eerie!

Kind of like dawn of the dead or something!!!:truth:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
speaking of 2 headed goats..
when i was looking to buy a place.. i looked at a nice place on 7 acres with a horse barn and corall.. it weas real nice but the owner disclosed that they had high arsenic in the water... he said the house was on a filter system but not the barn...

no big deal.. but when we looked at the barn they had a goat with only 1 horn.. so it looked more like a unicorn...

i had to suggest.. 'if you are saying you have arsenic in the water.. hide the one horned freaky looking unicorn goat...'

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
I give that lady a lot of credit for her documentary..What is she risking in her long term health to share that story?
Let's just say that I am not sure you would want her to be the future mother of your children. She was not using a respirator or exposure suit. She may have made a quick trip of it but she exposed herself to a huge amount of radiation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts