Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you northerners turn on your heat sources yet?

with the price of oil and propane im still holding out... its gonna drop down into the high 20's low 30s tonight..

its been cool in the house in the mornings...(to say the least) but im trying to hold off till i have no choice...

we have oil heat and 2 gas fireplaces.. nothings turned on yet though...

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Heat were still running the AC:lmao:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I turned on the heat pumps to test run them and make sure they work OK. I am seriously debating turning on the A/C tonight. It is humid as can be and I am sweating like whore in church. :D ;) :lmao: It is almost 8 pm and it is still 71 degrees outside.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yeah, what Jody said!

Maybe sometime in December... Maybe January... Whenever the wife gets cold is more like it.:wow:

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
i test fired the downstairs propane stove/fireplace two days ago and once today-- it is 72 today and down into the upper 30's again tonight-- I hope to hold out until thanksgiving

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
With 4 girls in the house, it's been on for some time now. :mad:
Anything under 80 Deg's and all I hear is "I'm Freezing"

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john

with the price of oil and propane im still holding out... its gonna drop down into the high 20's low 30s tonight..

its been cool in the house in the mornings...(to say the least) but im trying to hold off till i have no choice...

I suppose up in maine they dont offer price protection?
They offer it down here and the funny thing is the largest
provider on the island is declaring bankruptcy because of offering price protection. In reality they are a mismanaged, too much customer defection (myself & others), and over expansion. But they are still offering it !!

With a different company, I had my oil tanks abandoned last Dec. They offered me a discount off of the tank price if I priced protected for 2 years at $1.24. I said sure no problem.....I think I should trade in the futures market :)

Anyway good luck up there....30 degrees will get you house cold quick. YOU WILL BE FORCED TO PUT THE HEAT ON !!! :) :)

Ducati

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by aegt5000
I feel for you aegt5000. My wife is German and she always tries to out last me to see who will be the first one to give in and whine about the house being cold. Usually doesn't get turned on until the temp. get hovering below 65 in our house. We like it cool in the house anyway. We usually let the temp go down to 55 or 60 at night. I can't sleep if it is much warmer than that.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we could prebuy oil.. which ive done the past few years.. no 'price protection'

with the pre-buy.. you buy 500 gallons or whatever.. but pay for it up front.. its saved me anywhere from 30-75$ the past few years.. i did not prebuy this season... to much money up front..

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Last week I was at my Shell Petroleum distributor looking for the MTX and Donax. The off road diesel pump read $1.54 a gallon. Might be cheaper to buy off road diesel and dump in the heating fuel tank. Just be sure to add a anti-gel additive. If you qualify to buy off road/Ag diesel, you get the road tax and sales tax off.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have the same problem as aegt5000 with 3 girls in the house my son and I held out as long as our ears could stand it and then we gave in and started a fire in the fireplace and a few days later I noticed the furnace running:eek:mg:

Andy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john

;)

HI John . You bet I had Jeannie get that heat set for the small dog and me. Last week we had a few day's of between 27>>>>>30 and then had our first snow fall along with a rain storm today and more snow tomorrow. Keeps this up I will get to try out thr DOSER BLADE.

·
Registered
142 Posts
HEAT ON AND GOT SNOW

:dazed: :D
ALL of ya'll come on out to LAKEVIEW OR. It's been between 27>>>>30 this last week and we got our first snow storm. Then rain .Then more snow, if it keeps this up I will get to try my new DOZER
BLADE. Any extra oil just send it this away.:devil: :devil:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by aegt5000
I have 3 girls age 6 thru 12......for including the kitchen Sergent Major. :D ;) When the wome start whining about how cold it is and "I'm Freezing"; you gotta drop them for push ups to get that blood flowing and no need to turn the heat on. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I wish! :duh: :whistle: :hide: I would be sleeping in the truck.

I heat with wood and it is free except of the sweat and labor.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well we like it cool in the house,[and bolth a little cheep:D ] so we normaly have a rule of no heat till nov 1st. Well with a little two year old in the house, we realy kinda have to have it a little warmer. SOOOOO ya it has been on. But realy we normaly only have it at 64 when we are in the house, and 60 at night, so has not been running much. HAVE been using the Fplace though, that has doon good so far.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ive got those honeywell 7 day programmable thermostats.. great investement...
i heat it up to 66 in the AM for my lady.. then at 6:00 am it drops down to 60 for me..

then at 4:00 pm it heats back up to 66 for my lady..
if it were me.. it would stay at 60-62 all the time.. i hate using it as its just a waste... gonna cost some money this winter though..

im kicking myself for putting in gas stoves instead of wood stoves... up here.. heating w/propane costs at least as much as using oil and does not heat the whole house as well as oil does..

·
Registered
499 Posts
This year I kept turning the heat off in the motel rooms every time the nights got warm, and then turned it back on if guests complained of being cold.

The longest stretch I had the furnaces off was 6 days, from the 1st to 7th of August. Usually it goes off the end of May and comes back on in late September.

The funniest thing was we had a couple from Louisiana check in one day. It was about 55F at about 4 PM. There are windows on both sides, so it wasn't going to be a problem getting cool. They came back to the desk and demanded their money back because it didn't have air conditioning. After I took the charge back off of their card I asked them if they were expecting a Hot Flash overnight. Gotta learn to bite my tongue!

DW fell off her chair laughing!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts