Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd thing happening with my YM 336 Cooling System. Had a blown out lower hose and replaced it, but noticed no water flow out of my upper radiator hose into my radiator and concluded that I needed to replace the water pump. Did that and still no flow! (I am in FL and run without a thermostat so I knew that that was not the issue). Radiator is not clogged. I took off the lower radiator hose and the upper hose and back flowed water through the engine and out the lower hose. Reconnected everything and had water flow while running. Thought I had fixed, however let engine cool and started it a few hours later and again, no flow. I repeated the back flow and achieved flow again while running, but after waiting some hours and restarting, it returns to no flow!!!??? I have back flowed several time, but keep getting the same result. Any ideas on this?

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
I had an air lock in a pickup once in the dead of winter. Engine over heating and the heater blowing ice cold! Maybe that's your problem.
Have you run it with the rad cap off.... maybe idle it up a little and then back down ans see if the fluid level has changed, or air escaping. A good place to observe flow as well.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hi Mark,

There are a few Service Manuals and Parts Manuals here for the YM 3-digit machines here under the MANUAL tab. With that said, in some of the service manuals, it mentions the belt tension of the alternator to the water pump. There is a slight pressed deflection that must be had.

In the YM336 Parts Manual, page-17 has the cooling system layout.

upload_2021-1-24_15-10-40.png

Additionally, with the new water pump, did you burp out the air in the system? Did you use the drain-cock? Sometimes that will bind up after use and stop flow.

None of the hoses look pinched?

Is item 79 or item 1 locked in and allows the water pump to spin the impeller? Thus, the belt to the water pump shaft is spinning and not slipping.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I had an air lock in a pickup once in the dead of winter. Engine over heating and the heater blowing ice cold! Maybe that's your problem.
Have you run it with the rad cap off.... maybe idle it up a little and then back down ans see if the fluid level has changed, or air escaping. A good place to observe flow as well.

That could burp out the air by having the engine cold, take the rad cap off and run it till the flow dribbles out the top of the rad.

Reactions: Mark Mahoney

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks pogobill. I have been running with the radiator cap off and as the engine heats up, the water expands and begins to overflow out the top of the radiator, but still no flow out of the upper hose into the radiator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mark,

There are a few Service Manuals and Parts Manuals here for the YM 3-digit machines here under the MANUAL tab. With that said, in some of the service manuals, it mentions the belt tension of the alternator to the water pump. There is a slight pressed deflection that must be had.

In the YM336 Parts Manual, page-17 has the cooling system layout.

View attachment 67977

Additionally, with the new water pump, did you burp out the air in the system? Did you use the drain-cock? Sometimes that will bind up after use and stop flow.

None of the hoses look pinched?

Is item 79 or item 1 locked in and allows the water pump to spin the impeller? Thus, the belt to the water pump shaft is spinning and not slipping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
None of the hoses are pinched. The water pump impeller is spinning. Last week, when I back flowed the system, I got the coolant to flow and cut my lawn , took 2 hours with continuous running and had flow the entire time. I would think there would not be any air in the system after that, however, letting it cool and restarting the engine a few hours later... back to no flow. I know I can get it to flow and do the work I need to, but once I turn it off and let it cool, back to 0

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Mark, put the thermostat back in it, and see if that changes the situation.
Thank you BigT. I can try that this weekend, but I have been running it for several years without he thermostat, but maybe something changed..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure what YM does but often water is bypassed when the thermostat is closed. With some engines that bypass is closed when the thermostat is opened. If water is bypassing you may not see flow thru the upper hose. Just a thought

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fired it up today and the I actually have water flowing so not sure still at this point what might be happening here. One thing is sure. I have gone long enough with this worn out radiator and I noticed a small leak in the core. Since the core is very brittle, I think it is time I get it addressed. I know the re coring can cost a boatload of money and I do not see anywhere in my searches anyplace to get a new radiator. Do any of you have a suggestions on what I should do to get this radiator fixed or replaced?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Just wondering if you have actually removed the top hose from the top tank spout and started the engine to check flow, or are you looking down into the cap opening, some top tanks had a deflector near the return opening in the top tank to deflect the hot water across the top of the cores instead of just flowing straight into the tank and if that was the case, then it would be hard to see flow, you say you have removed the thermostat, but what you describe shows that there could be a thermostat in place, not saying there is, but the water action suggests this, -- while I am talking thermostat, if you don't want to use one, at least pull the guts out of it and place the base back into the housing for some restriction to cause the water to slow down and collect engine heat and if your engine is diesel, more so to have a thermostat.

Your post #5 shows that the heated water from the engine is travelling up the top radiator hose to the radiator header tank for the water to expand and run out of the cap opening, the heated water doesn't run back down through the bottom hose and up through the cores of the radiator.

Have you placed your hand on top of the top hose to feel how hot the hose is when the engine is running or after working ?, if you can't hold your hand on the top hose for a short while, then the system is working, and another , if the system wasn't working, then your radiator would be blowing steam from the overflow.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I fired it up today and the I actually have water flowing so not sure still at this point what might be happening here. One thing is sure. I have gone long enough with this worn out radiator and I noticed a small leak in the core. Since the core is very brittle, I think it is time I get it addressed. I know the re coring can cost a boatload of money and I do not see anywhere in my searches anyplace to get a new radiator. Do any of you have a suggestions on what I should do to get this radiator fixed or replaced?
My YM2610 came as a UTDA totally refurbished machine from Fredricks. The radiator was new, not a recore. YM336 radiator P/N 121253-44500. You may have to call them.

WEINGARTZ has your radiator as new
Yanmar Parts Radiator 121253-44500

From the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group ...

PARTS FOR OLDER USA YANMAR MODELS, GRAY MARKET AND JOHN DEERE SIBLINGS
Most listing here allow for local parts pickup. Please call first in this covid19 era.

FREDRICKS EQUIPMENT

1312 South Bethel Rd.
Decatur, AL 35603
PARTS HOTLINE - 256-751-3555
email - [email protected]
NEW On-Line SHOPPING - https://fredricksequipment.com/shop
Yanmar; YM / FX / F / Ke, John Deere / Kubota / Iseki / Mahindra / Others

HOYE TRACTOR PARTS INC.
2099 US Hwy 287 E
Iowa Park, TX 76367
PARTS HOTLINE - 940-592-0181
Contact page - Yanmar Tractor Parts:
On-Line Shopping - Yanmar Tractor Parts:
Yanmar Parts / John Deere / Yanmar Marine engine parts

SOUTHERN GLOBAL
404 First Street North
Wiggins, MS 39577
PARTS HOTLINE - 866-742-5748 Toll Free
email - s[email protected]
On-Line Shopping - https://www.southern-global.com
(New website coming Summer 2021)
New parts for Yanmar / John Deere / Others
Japan Tractor Salvage Yard
Engine overhaul/rebuild kits

STEVENS TRACTOR PARTS
3715 Highway 71
Coushatta, LA 71019
PARTS HOTLINE - 800-333-9143 Toll Free
On-Line Shopping - https://www.stevenstractor.com
Japanese and Domestic Tractor Parts for many makes and model brands
Engine overhaul/rebuild kits

WEAVER'S COMPACT TRACTOR
22 Fish Hatchery Rd
Shippensburg PA 17257
PARTS HOTLINE - 717-477-9332
On-Line Shopping - https://www.compactractorparts.com

ALL STATES AG PARTS
10 Ellefson Dr
De Soto, IA 50069
PARTS HOTLINE - 866-609-1260 Toll Free
On-Line Shopping - https://www.tractorpartsasap.com
13 Locations for tractors and parts, 10 salvage yards, and 2 repair centers all in the Mid-West

SHEAFFER'S TOWN & COUNTRY TRACTORS INC.
320 Palmyra Rd
Dixon, IL 61021
PARTS HOTLINE - 815-284-3226
On-Line Shopping - https://www.japanesetractorparts.com

TRACTOR JOE PARTS
14385 23 Ave N
Plymouth, MN 55447
PARTS HOTLINE - 888-860-9096 Toll Free
On-Line Shopping - Yanmar Parts | Up to 60% off Dealer Prices | TractorJoe.com
Strong Yanmar Gray Market parts provider
Offers a comprehensive selection of equipment and parts for US Yanmar & Yanmar Gray Market tractors

Reactions: Mark Mahoney

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wondering if you have actually removed the top hose from the top tank spout and started the engine to check flow, or are you looking down into the cap opening, some top tanks had a deflector near the return opening in the top tank to deflect the hot water across the top of the cores instead of just flowing straight into the tank and if that was the case, then it would be hard to see flow, you say you have removed the thermostat, but what you describe shows that there could be a thermostat in place, not saying there is, but the water action suggests this, -- while I am talking thermostat, if you don't want to use one, at least pull the guts out of it and place the base back into the housing for some restriction to cause the water to slow down and collect engine heat and if your engine is diesel, more so to have a thermostat.

Your post #5 shows that the heated water from the engine is travelling up the top radiator hose to the radiator header tank for the water to expand and run out of the cap opening, the heated water doesn't run back down through the bottom hose and up through the cores of the radiator.

Have you placed your hand on top of the top hose to feel how hot the hose is when the engine is running or after working ?, if you can't hold your hand on the top hose for a short while, then the system is working, and another , if the system wasn't working, then your radiator would be blowing steam from the overflow.
Yes I did remove the top hose and there was no water flowing when I was witnessing the non flow issue. However, this weekend, I was seeing water flow from the start.. (good sign), I do not think there is a deflector since you can clearly see flow when it is happening. I agree with your thought about putting in the thermostat guts to restrict flow there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts