Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had been fishing a bit early this morning, until one of our little bottle baby goats kept scooting under the hot wire and kept trying to nurse off my knees, so I put the rod in the corner of the gazeebo and went about some other odds and ends. had to shoo the little doe goat back a few times, and last I knew she went back in with the herd. She is one of the triplets, and we started to bottle feed her as she was not getting enough milk with competing with her two brothers, so once she spots a person she assumes she is gonna get a bottle and hell or high water is not gonna stop her.

Well I was up in the yard a bit later and heard a god awfull racket and this little baby goat bouncing up and down squalling...... She was all tangle dup in the hot wire to the field, and worst part was she had a fish hook along with the line and the fishing rod attached. Evidently she went into the gazeebo and being a goat was playing and jumping around on the benchs in there and stood up in the corner to get at some vines that were hanging dowon on the one wall, and in the process ghot snagged on my hook, which was hooked up under a guide eye, and the line reeled taught. It was secured to the rod, as one typically does, and not just laying free or dangling. I had one heck of a mess trying to get the little goat unhooked from the fence, my rod tip guide and rod got busted in the process, (never broke the line though 12# test) and the hook a #6 was firmly embedded in her upper front leg. Hard as I tried I could not push the hook through to cut the barb off, all the time that little girl just a squalling away. Sounds just like a real human baby with its screaming, and one would think it was being tortured. I had to cut the hook out to remove it. Gave her a tetnus shot as goats are very susceptible to tetnus, washed the wound up with surgical scrub and hydrogen peroxide, and applied some blue lotion to it. Its kind of swollen but she is putting weight on it so hopefully she will be ok. I was alone here at the time and really had my hands full as a goat sure does not like being tunred upside down and cut on one bit. When the wife came home and I told her what happened she liked to have a hissy fit. Baby goats are just like little children, they can get into a heap of trouble in a spit second........I asked the wife so now that I am retired and we have baby goats around am I supposed to set there all day long and babysit them?:furious:
The rods have always been left as they were today in that same area for a long time, and in my opinion it was just one of those things. You just could not help but feel sorry for that little goat and could just imagine what it probably felt like. So life goes on.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
wow.... Well im glad the little bugger is alright.. could have been much worse but it sounds like you had quite a mess going there for a while.. glad it worked out ok..

sj

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I never caught a goat before but it sounds like they put up a heck of a fight. Hope everything turns out OK and it heals up fine.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ouch, I would imagine she tried to kick the snot out of you while you were working on the hook. I have had to almost sit on our english springer a couple of times. If they don't want you messing with them they will do everything they can to get away. Hope she is OK and the leg heals quickly! :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts