Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finally gonna upgrade my 98 pc to win XP.

Ive got a new version of XP home, but was thinking about pro...

I know pro has a little more network stuff in it, but are there any obvious reasons why i would want to use xp pro instead of xp home?

I have the home already and unless theres a huge difference id rather save the $$$ and use the xp home..

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Trying to remember the differences... guess that's why I don't care. Actually, don't remember, but I think it didn't matter much to me when I asked.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
sj here is what Dell has to say about it i didnt need all the extra so i went with home and if you want the XP plus pm me and we will talk.
Jody

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home A home user who wants the Microsoft® operating system that has been optimized for your home and personal needs. Note: If you're planning on using your computer at college to connect to the school's network (including e-mail), or for remote access to a business' network from home or while traveling, Dell recommends you choose Microsoft® Windows® XP Pro or Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional A user in any of the following situations: Planning on using your computer for college
Bring work home from the office
Want to access data or files remotely while traveling or away from the office
Want the flexibility of using your home business computer for personal/family needs while maintaining security
Experience power failures/ electrical brownouts which can lead to accidental data loss
Want asset protection for future networking needs
Have a home business

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
" If you're planning on using your computer at college to connect to the school's network "

XP will do that, heck 95/98 will do it too.

"for remote access to a business' network from home or while traveling, Dell recommends you choose Microsoft® Windows® XP Pro "

Again, pretty basic requirements that most OS's can cover.

"Media Center Edition"
Gets you more out of the box music and video editting capabilities as well as PVR (If you have the hardware to do it). Again, nothing that standard XP wouldn't do for you.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im half way up already.. very easy install. I pulled my win 98 main hard drive prior to doing the upgrade and made it a secondary slave..
then i put a new 120 Gig drive formatted that and installed XP. now im copying back all my docs, mpgs,favs,dig pics, downloads, ect.. ect... from my windows 98 Main drive

I liked 98, it was real easy to allow access to your pc over a network.. XP wont be that easy.. but thats probably a good thing.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a winipcfg for Win XP.. i know the inconfig works but i sort of liked the graphical winipcfg...

Is there a command out there for XP?

also is powertoys, i think it was called tweak, available for XP?

Thanks Tis..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts