Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well It's COLD. REAL COLD!!! 11 deg out as I type this, I guess falls truly over.:cry: :cry:

I know it will get much colder. But this is the first REAL cold morning here, so it kinda hits home.

YA I know you guys down south arre going to say"Hey I am mowing the lawn in shorts" but whos going to be wishing the shoe was on the other foot come christmas eave when we have snow, and you don't.:duel: :duel: :D :D :xmas: :globesnow

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh - Looks like Paul is up and at it early as usual --- not as early as I though --- as I have not slept all night --- outages, outages, problems, calls, arrrgghhh!

The cold? Nice ---- I really like to visit the snow and then leave --- seems to lose its charm after my in-laws start cussing at the snowblower and after taking off 10 layers of clothes ---- HAHAHA

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Were I am located at it rarely if ever gets into the uper teens even for a day. Most of the time during the winter months it may on occassion get to th upper 20's but usually hangs in the mid to upper 30's or low 40's and by the time the sun is up its already time to shed a coat. My grass is still nice and green. My water lines are burined really deep......a full 6 to 8 inches below the surface, and I have never had a frozen pipe. We do get an ice storm on occasion but once the sun is up within an hour or two its gone. Same with any snow. Gone by the time the sun is up.
I can go 100 miles north to B'ham, and you'll swear your in the upper northern states. They get snow and ice and frezing weather. I can go 200 miles east to ATlanta area and its the same thing, freeze your butt off. Head further south and its cold as well. Something about this south central area that holds back cold weather while areas around it gets cold.

I agree, snow is nice, its beautiful to see all the land covered in a nice fresh coat of it, but its nicer yet to be able to walk or drive away from the associated tasks involved with it. Tire chains, getting stuck, plowing and shoveling, frozen pipes, nasty cars and trucks from salt and other chemicals, tons of clothes to keep warm, and the hassle involved having to work outside in it even for short periods of time. Since the day I bought my Ford 1720, I can count the times on one hand I have ever needed to use the glow plugs to preheat it before starting it up.

However once the temps drop to the 50's or lower, we usually fire up the woodstove, and keep it constantly going until temps get back up in the high 60's or so. We just open the windows or doors to let the heat out. Thats winter time in my area. Now if you excuse me I have to go back outside and work on my tan ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Originally posted by Chipmaker
Were I am located at it rarely if ever gets into the uper teens even for a day. Most of the time during the winter months it may on occassion get to th upper 20's but usually hangs in the mid to upper 30's or low 40's and by the time the sun is up its already time to shed a coat. My grass is still nice and green. My water lines are burined really deep......a full 6 to 8 inches below the surface, and I have never had a frozen pipe. We do get an ice storm on occasion but once the sun is up within an hour or two its gone. Same with any snow. Gone by the time the sun is up.
I can go 100 miles north to B'ham, and you'll swear your in the upper northern states. They get snow and ice and frezing weather. I can go 200 miles east to ATlanta area and its the same thing, freeze your butt off. Head further south and its cold as well. Something about this south central area that holds back cold weather while areas around it gets cold.

I agree, snow is nice, its beautiful to see all the land covered in a nice fresh coat of it, but its nicer yet to be able to walk or drive away from the associated tasks involved with it. Tire chains, getting stuck, plowing and shoveling, frozen pipes, nasty cars and trucks from salt and other chemicals, tons of clothes to keep warm, and the hassle involved having to work outside in it even for short periods of time. Since the day I bought my Ford 1720, I can count the times on one hand I have ever needed to use the glow plugs to preheat it before starting it up.

However once the temps drop to the 50's or lower, we usually fire up the woodstove, and keep it constantly going until temps get back up in the high 60's or so. We just open the windows or doors to let the heat out. Thats winter time in my area. Now if you excuse me I have to go back outside and work on my tan ;-)
Didn't know you were so close, chippy --- You near Montgomery?
You will have to try and make the TF.COM Annual Party in 2004!

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
In D.C., it finally got cold enough to cause ponds to ice over last night. We are supposed to get rain, sleet and some snow this weekend, probably not accumalating, but enough to be annoyed.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
4 degrees at my house in maine this morning...
I am in mass where it was a balmy 13 degrees....
We must be in the same jet stream, it was 5* here this morning. Colder than a W D A!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by admin
Didn't know you were so close, chippy --- You near Montgomery?
You will have to try and make the TF.COM Annual Party in 2004!

Andy
Yep, located about 20 miles south of Montgomery off I-65. Bout 2 hours drive from the Redneck Riviera. Something about this area, its always warmer than anywhere else in Alabama or the panhandle area of the gulf for some reason or other. Spent some time in the Dallas and Wichita Falls area of Texas and liked to have froze to death. Same thing for New Orleans and Slidell area. But Montgomery its always different. (Actually in Lowndes county but still south of Montgomery.........

Well I did not get to work on my tan today ;-), but I did manage to cut and vac up about 3 acres in a pair of cut-offs and T shirt today, until it started to rain so I had to quit. Went back in the barn, and did my 25 hour oil and filter change and greased the GX 335. I kept pouring in oil, and checking the dipstick. Man this 20 hp Kaw takes a lot of oil. Opened up the 3rd quart, and said to my self. Self, this is just too much oil......peeked around on the other side and sure nuff, I forgot to close the oil drain valve........(nope I didn't say that)......luckily the drain hose was still on it, and it was in a clean container with only about an ounce or two of the old oil in it, so that "reclaimed new but used" oil is destined for the older engines on other equipment I have.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Chip

It is good to flush out the drain pipe on a new machine.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Chip

Originally posted by slipshod
It is good to flush out the drain pipe on a new machine.
Ya thats it.... A crankcase flush. You HAVE to do that on a new motor you know. I can't belive you waited till the 25hour service though. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I guess I am next to piss off you cold state dudes, In Western Washington we mainly get rain in the winter. Tonight getting off from work at 11:00 P.M. was only the 2nd time this winter I had to scrap ice off the windshield off my pickup truck. If I want to go to where it snows would only take a hour to mountains and we had a winter snow storm predicted in the passes for tonight and during the day tomorrow with high wind, down in the coast where I live just a good rainstorm perdicted. with highs in the low 50's for tomorrow.
We do get snow and the worst winter in recent memory was the winter of 1989-1990.
On the way to a reserve training weekend I was driving my old 1976 Plymouth Duster (light assed) and a real handful to drive in winter conditions when I started up a hill at about 35 MPH, when a Highway Patrol Mustang passed me at about 55 MPH, The patrolman gets about 3/4 of the way up the hill when suddenly I see 2 headlights, a moment later I see his taillights, a instant later I see 1 headlight, and the next time 1 brake light, finally no headlights or brakelights. Seems as I drive by all that was left on the Mustang undamaged was the roof. I keep going up to the top of the hill and walk down in my fatiques and see if he is ok and I get up to the car and he is outside of it looking mad. I ask if he ok and he says YOU DO NOT SEE A F&^KING THING. All I say is no sir I did not see a thing and turn around and walk back to my car laughing all the way loudly. All this happened on about 5 inches of compact ice and snow. One thing that the folks in this part of the state do not realize you GOT TO DRIVE SLOW AND EASY ON SNOW. I learned to drive in Iowa in December and it is not easy to learn but once you get the hang of it I have never been in the ditch after I learned how to drive in it.:fineprint

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Michael
I I learned to drive in Iowa in December and it is not easy to learn but once you get the hang of it I have never been in the ditch after I learned how to drive in it.:fineprint

Thats one thing. Eaven in the snowbelt people are not learning to drive in snow anymore. A lot of the people have NO IDEA. Me? I taught my self with a lot of miles in the snow with my first car, a little Vega wagon. I would go out to the side roads, and parking lots and just have some fun. Ya I spun out, and ended up in some ditches, but I did it in a safe place, and with noone else around. Now we get people learing to drive in snow during rush hour trafic.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey you meterological wusses, I was in Bismarck, ND the past 3 days and they don't salt roads so there is a snow crust or blue ice on parts of the roads. First winter conditions I have driven in since last March but it's like riding a bicycle, you never forget. However, it was balmy for them with temperatures in the high 20's and low 30's with mostly sunshine. However, on the news yesterday, the weatherman was jubilant declaring that most parts of the State would get above freezing!!! Pretty bleak when that's a cause for celebration!!:eek:

I changed over Sunday from the Power Flow Bagger after picking up the last of the leaves to the snow thrower and none too soon. 3-5 inches of snow predicted for tonight in the Chicago area so the JD may get it's first winter work out of the season!!! Wuu Hoo!:drums:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well I am a former Yankee myself, (north central Pennsylvania area and also Northeast Pennsylvania) so I do know how to drive in snow. Spent a few years in Germany and other places with snow conditions in my military career, and I still remember how to do ther snow and ice thing, however dry roads without snow and ice are still my favorite.

Oh as to that waiting for 25 hours.NOPE. this is my 3rd oil change. I went and changed it at 5 or 6 hours, then again at 15 hours, and now at the recomended original JD recomendation of 25 hours. Still kicking it around if I want to play with Mobil 1 or Valvolines synthetic, but odds are I will continue to change the oil around 25 or so hours and use Valvoline HD 30#.

Just picked up 12 filters from the Toyota dealer yesterday. They sent a flyer out advertising specials, and their oil filters were listed at $3.45 each. So I had the wife pick up a dozen since its the same filter used on her car as on my tractor as well.

While playing around yesterday wrming up the engine so I couyld change oil, I got carried away cutting and vac'ing etc. Since I run my deck almost on the ground when sucking up stuff, and I have sandy soils, and I have been using the daylights out of my vac carts, my blades (actually made for Scotts 54" mower but they fit, as I bent one original blade on a SUnday morning and took a chance on a Scott) just to use to vac with, they are some kind of dull. There is absolutely no beveled cutting edge left. Just a blunt round edge very well worn. What surprised me however, it was cutting the grass just beautiful in this condition. Whiole th scotts blades fit, they do not have as much lift and they are not as thick and shaped like the JD blades are, but they worked, so I'll reserve them for vac duty, where cutting is not really an issue.

Colder than a W.D.A. out today. Its after 9 am and only 67 deg. Darn. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Childs Play

Snow driving is a right of passage in my neck of the woods.Any Man worth his salt relishes the first day of black ice,driving wind,and white outs.
Just got to have a machine set up to run in the stuff.My favorite is my 88 Chevy 1500.She has a brand new set of sneakers,General Grabber/TR's. A fresh roller cam 350,with AC-Cel injection system 750cfm,stainless exhaust,new positive shift 4 on the fly setup,Allied Locker rear differential,5 speed tranny.This truck will flip in and out of 4 wheel instantaniuosly,hook up and go on most any road surface. It has power to spare and the ability to pass cars on glare ice.Wild haired, red eyed ,White Knuckled driver behind the wheel .My wife says it is some crazy obsession I have ,if it is one of those days not fit for man or beast I have to out driving in it.Some people pay good money to get the kind of thrills I can create for free,Just turn the roads white,and take a ride with me.If you git scared I will even spin the yellow light for ya!!

Attachments

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Just remember...4 wheel drive does nothing when you are braking. Too many idiots here in Washington/Oregon think just because they have a 4 wheeler they can drive like a maniac and still be under control. When I see a 4x4 in ditch or against a tree, I check to see if all are OK. Then I laugh!

Drive safe and sane!

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I agree with you Greg, some of the kids start out with a 4wd or front wheel drive without having the training the rear wheel drive cars provided. My dad used to have a 79 Jeep Wagoneer with the Quadratrac full time 4wd. Since the transfer case had built in slippage between the wheels, it was nearly impossible to stop on ice. It also wandered around in the deeper snow. My 98 Silverado that I have now is night and day different. It actually handles and stops better in 4wd. I think the difference is the transfer case and gearing. When in 4wd the wheels are somewhat locked together. I have mixed feelings on the 4 wheel antilock on it though, under some conditions it has some quirks and makes matters worse then if I pumped the peddle myself. Still if all four are on ice nothing other then chains or studs will help then.

Mark

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Stopping, is the most important part of winter driving. I have lived in Western Washington for the last 16 years. The drivers out here do not understand the law of phyics apply in driving whether it is 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts