Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What winterizing do I need to do in NC. Fuel stabilizer / etc? Here you still mow etc once a month in Dec / Jan /Feb. If you still operate for an hour or two a month do I need to do all the winterizing stuff?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Probably not much. They say that if you don't plan on using a chainsaw for 30 days that you should empty the gas. I guess if you are firing it up monthly... should be fine. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Winterizing or yearly maintenance....

Most put away their mowers and other lawn/garden equipment in the winter but the winterization procedures could also be thought of as "yearly maintenance" procedures.

Changing oil, filters, clean/wax, sharpen blades, grease fittings etc. are things that need to be done on at least a yearly basis but most of us don't do all of them during the "cutting season".

markfnc,

I would do the majority of the steps on a good winterization list as just good yearly maintenance.

Greg

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well me

I run Fuel stabilizer in all my stuff all summer long and change the oil when it suppose to. Like you i well be cutting grass in DEC and again in Feb more then likely. All the leaves haven't fallen yet and it may be the end of Dec before they all fall. So i may be cutting them up in Jan. So i don't worry about winterizing procedures . But if you are going to let it sit up over 30 day i would use Fuel stabilizer .:fineprint
Jody

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Mark, Up the road from you, we recommend using a fuel stabilizer because the gas starts going bad after a couple of weeks. As for other maintence, we start serviceing mowers in Feb to get them ready for spring. We offer free pickup and delivery during Feb to get everyone ready ahead of the season. Here's what we suggest to do in the spring.
Clean or replace air filter
Change oil and oil filter if equiped
Check air pressure in the tires
Sharpen or replace blades
Check all belts for wear or cracks and replace if needed
Grease all grease fittings
Put a charge on the battery
Check lights if equiped
Check transmission if serviceable
Install new Spark Plug
Install new fuel filter, and check fuel and drain if needed
Clean grass from under deck and coat with Mo-Deck if customer requests
Check engine RPM's
Clean complete mower
Last but not least, run blades and check all functions for any adjustments and preform if needed

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by markfnc
What winterizing do I need to do in NC. Fuel stabilizer / etc? Here you still mow etc once a month in Dec / Jan /Feb. If you still operate for an hour or two a month do I need to do all the winterizing stuff?

:confused:
If you are mowing once a month anyway, think just some stablzer in the gas would be fine. I would do a full service in early spring though. Get you ready for the real growing season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts