Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tisenberg, I have installed winfax about 6 weeks ago, and it was working fine. About 2 weeks ago isent a fax and it sent a blank page between each printed page, possibly because it was an attatchment? Then last week it won't dial the phone number, it tries to conect through LAN. I don't have a LAN, just my computer with HP56 micromodem.
I expect it's something with the settings, but I looked around and couldn't find anything, and I hadn't messed with that. The kids might have stumbled onto it and changed something, who knows.:rolleyes:

Any suggestions, keeping in mind that I'll need pretty much a complete road map to find any thing.:cpu:

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I would start by going to Start-ControlPanel-Modems. I would make sure that you

1) have a definition for a modem
2) check that it passes the modem tests
3) Next, I would dial out to something to make sure it really works.

There are cases where people have installed Symantec or even re-installed Outlook and Winfax just stops working. I would try and install it again to ensure that the registry settings are still properly in place.

Let's start with this and see where we get. Also, very important, if you are getting ANY error messages, I need to know what they are.

:cpu:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks T, the modem and dialer work because that's how I get here. I'm on dialup.
The only thing I've installed since winfax is IMESH. :rolleyes: I'll look for the file name, last time I installed winfax, microsoft office did it for me. :cpu: I think it's somewhere on disk 1.:argh:

Thank you for the help!! It's GOOD to have friends with skills!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, this is what I get when I try to send a fax.

A timeout occured while communicating with the server (Acount ' Symantec Fax Starter Edition SMTP server : 172.0.0.1' Error Number: 0x800ccc19)

:cpu: HELP!!

I checked Office disk 1 and found the winfax folder, it shows the following:

Olfaxdrv.fad
Olfdnt40.dll
Olfpnt40.dll
Olfunt40.dll

:nerd: So, how do I reinstall Winfax??? :nerd:

:duel: This thing is kickin my a.. !!

I appreciate the help!!:friends:

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
It appears that the fax software is trying to fax, but is unable to talk to whatever your "mail" server is. It is attempting to communicate with a mail server at 172.0.0.1.

What form of email does your ISP provide... and does it work?

Re-installing may not solve the problem at this point.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Hey Toba

:wow:
It's really great to have guys like you around. Especially for people like me, technologically challenged.

:dazed:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T, you're right, reinstalling didn't help.:( The number I gave was a miss-print. it should read 127.0.0.1, oops!:eek:

My incoming mail server is a POP3 "pop1.nbnet....etc"
My outgoing mail server is SMTP " smtp1. etc"

For fax incoming is POP3 "127.0.0.1"

outgoing SMTP "127.0.0.1"

My email works fine, it goes throught the same connection I use for internet access( I think).

When it did work I didn't have to connect to the internet to send a fax.

Is this getting you the info you need? Maybe I should load up my PC and drive over.:smiles:

I really appreciate the help!!!

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
For winfax SE (Starter Edition), you should see the following services (if I remember correctly) running in the process list.

OLFaxMOD
Wfxmsrvr.exe

I think they are probably running since it appears that the system is *trying* to fax.

I also assume that you are addressing the fax as [email protected]

===

I just did a quick search on the internet and found this. The item of interest is around the modem and settings. Please read through it and see if there is anything that might help. The "links" do not copy/paste, so here is the link I got it from: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/winfaxse.htm

=======
If the automatic reception setting does not "stick," reconfigure the modem. See OL98 - (IMO) Automatic Receive Fax Option Doesn't Stay Selected.
When WinFax does not send or receive faxes, the problem is usually related to configuring certain modems correctly or loading and initializing the modem. The following solutions have worked for many. Try them in this order (easy ones first):

Ensure your fax numbers are in the proper format (canonical or [email protected]) so that the TAPI dialer will dial the number correctly.
Sometimes WinFax SE is delayed in loading or initializing the modem. It may take 2-3 minutes to load. Before trying any fax operation, you can force it to load and initialize the modem by simply choosing Tools | Options. You may need to do this each time you relaunch Outlook. You can check whether WinFax SE has loaded.
Reconfigure the modem.
If WinFax SE still doesn't work, choose Tools | Options | Fax | Modem. Look at the Properties for your modem. If it is not set to Class 1, Hardware flow control enabled, Initialize modem at 19,200, try to force it to those settings.
If it still doesn't work, obtain new drivers for the modem from the manufacturer, install them, then repeat steps 3 and 4.
If you get the error, "Unable to connect to the server: (Account: 'Symantec WinFax Starter Edition', SMTP Server: '127.0.0.1', Error Number: 0x800ccc0e')," WinFax SE is either not completely loaded or not properly configured. See OL98: (IMO) WinFax Starter Edition Gives SMTP-POP Error On Send.

In Outlook 98, WinFax SE may interfere with dial-up connections to the Internet when automatic fax reception is enabled. WinFax SE initializes the modem shortly after Outlook is launched. If a dial-up connection to the Internet is active at that time, it may be terminated abruptly. (The problem seems to be corrected in Outlook 2000.) There are three possible workarounds:

If you do not need Outlook to monitor the line for incoming faxes, turn off fax reception.
Update your modem’s drivers to the latest version available from the manufacturer.
Allow WinFax SE to load and initialize the modem before making any dial-up connection. It may be delayed, so after launching Outlook, you should wait 2 to 3 minutes before establishing a dial-up connection. Check whether WinFax SE has loaded. As soon as you see "OLFax MOD ‘Your modem’" in the list of running applications, WinFax SE has loaded and initialized your modem. You can then safely establish a dial-up connection until the next time you exit and re-launch Outlook. You can force SE to load more quickly simply by choosing Tools | Options.
If you get an error message that the fax cannot be viewed because Quikview.exe can't be found, then you need the Windows component called Quick View. Reinstall it through Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Windows Setup.

Also see:

XCLN: IMO with Symantec Fax Starter Edition Outlook Ignores Some Telephony Settings (MSKB - Outlook 2000)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:confused: WOW!! Alot of that looked like greek to me.:cpu: :lmao: OK, I'll save this page so I can follow the instructions, Thanks T.

Also, when I go into Outlook /options/mail delivery/internet accounts/mail/ Symantec fax starter edition/properties/connection;

I think it should be connectind via "Explorers or third party dialer". But when I click on this and apply,close the window and reopen it, it has changed back to " connect using my local area network LAN". I don't have a LAN. Instead of those numbers in the server box should it be the "HSP56 MicroModem"?

It's got to be something simple because ti did work. Also it used to double check the number to dial, it doesn't do that any longer, could that have something to do with it too?

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
That does seem of interest. I need to find some time to grab a copy of winfax and install it so I can help you better. Maybe later today.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I think you are on the right track, I started my Outlook Express (which I don't use) in order to look around at the settings.

Start Outlook Express (I guess thats what you are using)
Choose Tools
Choose Options
Press on the "Connection" tab
Press the "Change" button
What do you have in there.

I am thinking that you have two "connectors" for you email configured, one for Internet email and one for the fax connector. I would think that the internet mail is set to dial or use the existing connection... that should be fine. We need to look at the fax part of the profile and see what is going on there.

Not sure why your's is not saving. I wonder if we should go into Control Panel/Mail and remove the profiles and recreate them from scratch. If you do go that route. Make sure to note what they are before hand, also make a backup of your mail data files (file that holds all your already received email). That data file should be pointed out in the email profile. You might also find this information under Tools/Accounts from Outlook. From there look at connections. Again, in one case you want email to dial your ISP, but fax to dial a fax machine... it is different.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
T, on the link you sent me it said that Winfax should appear to be trying to connect through LAN, so I guess that's OK.
Where would I find new modem drivers?

There are 2 connections, one for email, one for Fax.

Thank you so much for spending so much time on this!!! I really appreciate the help!!:friends:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
You should be able to get modem drivers from the manufacturer of your modem. I would go to the link based on the manufacturer name.

Secondly, doubt you need new drivers since you said they worked once.

I would delete the two profiles (mail/fax) and re-create them and see what happens. (refered to the bolded section on my previous post). Make sure to take screen shots of each tab of settings. (CTRL-INS will grab the current window, then paste them into write or word)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
T, my modem is a PCTel, they don't deal with the drivers any more, I downloaded new ones last night from "drivers.com":duh: :D

I haven't installed them yet cause I wanted to do my forum tour before I totally screwed up my connection.:lmao:

So I guess I'll pass on installing that for now. How would I delete the fax/mail profiles? :cpu:

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I sure am learing a lot. Thank you tisenberg!!!!:worthy: :worthy:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
In Outlook express, Tools, Accounts
Also go into Start, Control Panel, Mail/Fax

I would get rid of the settings and reset it all up again. Remember to save any data files or setting information. Also, if you don't know what your POP3 account AND password is... don't do it until you know.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tisenberg, I re-read through that link you sent me, it described my problem exactly, and said I should uninstall/re-install Winfax.
I have to go into registry to do it!!:eek:mg: That's kind of scary for a techno-putz like me!:barf:

Any way, i'm going to sit down and study the pages from the link and bite the bullet in a day or two, when I've got a few hours to kill.:rolleyes:

If I don't totally crash my system I'll let you know how I made out.:crazy:

If I go MIA you can guess that I tried to uninstall.:lmao:

Thank you so very much for your patience and help. It means a lot to me and lets me know that I've come upon a great site with terrific people!!!!:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Thanks T, wish me luck!!!:friends:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Great... good luck. Wish I could drive down the street and fix it... for this kind of problem, seeing and clicking around is much easier to diagnose the problem.

As for going off line... I guess the worst you could do is end up without working Fax software... oh wait, you already have that problem. Leave your modem definition alone and you should be able to connect to the internet regardless.

Again, this is a hard one to diagnose over the internet. The best I can do in this case is give you guideance on where to look and re-setup... sorry and good luck.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Toba, good news!!!!! I manually uninstalled the winfax acording to the instructions on the link you gave me, and Outlook still works!!!!!:party: The next step is to re-install winfax, probably tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

There is certainly no need for you to be sorry, the way I see it, you have been a HUGE help!:friends: You have been very patient and gave me the info I need to proceed, without you I would still be lost! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Man, I gotta buy you a :beer: :thumbsup: :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts