Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone upload service pack 2 for windows XP.. seems to be out today...
It is supposed to have lots more security and a firewall... But ive heard its not the best firewall out there..

It does have a popup blocker too..

Ive uploaded it and am running it now.. so far no problems, just an annoying message whenever i do an FTP.. it still allows it...

anybody else using it? any problems?

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it based upon lots of professional experience and commercial rollout efforts.

TONS OF REPORTED PROBLEMS ------
IBM has forcibly instructed its IT staffers and support teams to not implement it. German techs found tons of issues with the release. I would leave well-enough alone. AT LEAST UNTIL THE DUST SETTLES! :D

Just my opinion --- I am happy with what I have so why take the risk of having Microsoft shaft me into problems. I have a hardware FW and high-end router in place with plenty of updates. I am happy with my security and my speed so....

If it ain't broke, I ain't breaking it.
Andy

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
The big problem is that the internal firewall software software shipped set ON. This thing locks down so much stuff that applicaitons can't communicate between processes or client/server.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
There is nothing that it can offer that isnt already handled by the current software firewall and spyware removal tools, not to mention antivirus..

I will resist this turkey for many months or years :)

Duc

·
Registered
272 Posts
I already intergrated it with xp and made a new iso cd rom called
xp sp2 , works great, but then again thats all I do all day is Operating system and software support. I work from home so I can play with my tractor in-between :D

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I recieved an email from my ISP SBC/Yahoo that their browser (which I do not use) would need to be upgraded as well as possibly Zonealarm and other software if it was installed. I'm still running 98SE anyway with this 6 year old box.

Mark

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
I just installed it yesterday. I hope I don't have problems because
I am a grease monkey not a tech.
Rodster
Rodster,

If everything still works, then I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, your computer is more secure, especially Internet Explorer, if that is what you use for a browser.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi
After installing service pack 2 I went to check for updates and it said this. Whats the deal??????????? Copy of message below.
Rodster

Express install allows you to quickly download and install only the critical and security updates your computer needs.

Microsoft strongly recommends that you install the following high priority updates to help keep your computer up-to-date and secure. To install these updates, click Install.

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Download size: 10.2 MB, 46 minutes
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Details...

Total updates selected: 1 items, 10.2 MB, 46 minutes Install...
High Priority Updates
Microsoft Corporation - Windows XP family

Microsoft .NET

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi
After installing service pack 2 I went to check for updates and it said this. Whats the deal??????????? Copy of message below.
Rodster

Express install allows you to quickly download and install only the critical and security updates your computer needs.

Microsoft strongly recommends that you install the following high priority updates to help keep your computer up-to-date and secure. To install these updates, click Install.

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Download size: 10.2 MB, 46 minutes
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Details...

Total updates selected: 1 items, 10.2 MB, 46 minutes Install...
High Priority Updates
Microsoft Corporation - Windows XP family

Microsoft .NET

Rodster,

You must not have downloaded the .Net framework when it came out. It allows some really sophisticated applications, like , for example, ducati's security camera setup, to be done really easily. It's the coming wave in applications and has been for a While ;)

If there's nothing your machine won't do, don't worry about downloading it!

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I installed it because I was curious...so far no problems once you get the full download <80Mb from MS....If you are running a software Firewall with POP up Blocker, I would disable those features in XP S2 otherwise performance will suffer....

AVG full version, Zonealarm pro & Norton AV2004 work fine with no hiccups from what i observed...

Duc

·
Registered
499 Posts
XP Service Pack 2

Andy's got the right idea on it. If it ain't broke, why be the one to break it?

The service pack has some nice features like the popup blocker to entice you to install it, but the guts of it are a series of fixes to the code which close doors and tighten up the security problems. Basically, they are finally fixing the stuff they used to get criticized for by the Linux and guys and by Mow Howard and his Mac buddies.

This sounds great, but there are a lot of sloppy/lazy/creative/clever/ (pick your own word) programmers who used the weaknesses as features. Their programs now will fail because the program doesn't work the way it did pre-SP2.

Some of those programmers worked on common applications like MS Word and Zonalarm.

A second problem is that the built-in firewall is very good, and jumps all over many things that could potentially be a problem, but it automatically shuts them down, not thinking that you may want them. Typical Microsoft Big Brother knows best stuff.

And since nobody has any experience getting it set up right......................

As a result, as many as one machine in three will give you major grief after XP2. Interestingly, it seems to be mainly the early XP machines, installed within the first 6 months of XP, that have the major problems. I don't know yet if it relates to better integration of the early fixes in later copies of the software, or just that earlier machines tend to have more stuff on them. More automatically starting software, more shared drives, more shared files, more settings changed in funny combinations,....................

A buddy of mine says never, ever, install a Service Pack with an even number. Wait for SP3 or SP5!!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hi
Does service pack 2 have an anti virus program or is it just recognizing the one I already have ?
Rodster
Yes and no. It it my understanding that this update plugs a lot of holes in Internet Explorer and improves the built in firewall. It also has safeguards that alert you to unsafe downloads, etc.

So I don't think it has a full blown anti-virus program in a standalone sense, but it should make your PC a lot more secure and hopefully work fine with your existing anti-virus program.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi
Thanks for the info. On my dial up it took forever to download the 75 MB file. I heard somewhere that the SP2 causes problems on the early version of XP. My desktop is new but my laptop was one of the first to come with XP. On my laptop I think I will just take it over to my neighbors and have him update it on his cable hook up. Much faster.
Rodster

1 - 18 of 18 Posts