Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a windows XP PC that boots normally and when you select a user (any user) it starts to open windows then says.. 'logging off' and goes back to the log on screen..

It does the same in safe mode... im wondering if its a virus???
i was told that it was up to date in virus updates..

im 'repairing' windows install now...

gotta love windows!!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
ive got a windows XP PC that boots normally and when you select a user (any user) it starts to open windows then says.. 'logging off' and goes back to the log on screen..

gotta love windows!!
Geez, the hoops you guys have to go through to use your PC's! :lmao:

I have 4 Macs that always wake up instantly from sleep mode. No virus updates, spyware issues, or service pack uncertainty. We (my family) just sit down and use them. Best decision I ever made switching to Apple. I still use a 5 yr old iMac everyday. Was the lowend model. Came with 2 firewire ports for video editing, etc. Can sell it for 300 or $400 on ebay. Only upgrade is hardrive and ram. It's only a 400 mhz G3, but I can keep 5-6 apps open and listen to music with out a hiccup. OSX Panther multitasks really well. (knock on wood for all of the above).

The only issues I've had in the last year or so is I can't properly access one of my financial institutions with my Safari (apple) browser. I have to use Mozilla Firefox browser for that. I had to use IE (for mac) to look at a powerpoint presentation on one of the member's posts, recently. I can live with those "problems" :D

·
john-in-ga
609 Posts
Re: Re: windows XP PC in log off loop

Originally posted by MowHoward2210
Geez, the hoops you guys have to go through to use your PC's! :lmao:

Mow,

A young Tractor Forum Member ask you a day or so ago if you remembered the post linked below. I too, ask if you remember?

Mac Crash

:cpu:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yep, and to quite honest, I havn't experienced any issues like that for quite some time. Some of those are probably exgaggerated problems from old Mac OS's. I use OSX (pronounced OS 10). I started out on OS 9 which did have some quirks, and would freeze sometimes, but still seemed more stable than WIN 3.1 95 and 98 that I had previously used. I did enjoy the quy's performance though. :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I never understood this. They say you either have a PC or a Mac.
That would be like saying do you have a Car or a Chevy. Isn't a Mac a PC ?
Rodster:question:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Rodster,

Technically a PC is a "Personal Computer", so yes, a Mac is a PC. But generally the term "PC" is used for Windows machines nowadays. A Mac uses standard PC parts like hard drives, ram, optical (CD DVD) drives, etc. But it uses a different processor (made by IBM or Motorola) and different motherboard. And it also uses different software, OSX being the most recent. Apple makes the hardware and the software, so I think everything works a little better IMO. There are lots of people who will say otherwise. I guess it depends on what you want it to do.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
I never understood this. They say you either have a PC or a Mac.
That would be like saying do you have a Car or a Chevy. Isn't a Mac a PC ?
Rodster:question:
You know how those Mac guys are. The liberal, artistic type. They just gotta be different. :winky:

Mow,
I say that but I'm really tempted to get one. Are they that much different to operate than Windows. Linux looks to be rough yet unless one is a techie. I would kind of like to get away from MS when at home.

Mark

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by memmurphy
You know how those Mac guys are. The liberal, artistic type. They just gotta be different. :winky:

Mark
Um, I don't think so, Tim! Err, Mark. :D

Originally posted by memmurphy
Mow,
I say that but I'm really tempted to get one. Are they that much different to operate than Windows. Linux looks to be rough yet unless one is a techie. I would kind of like to get away from MS when at home.

Mark
The OS's are kind of the same, and do pretty much the same things. To me, stuff (like settings) is not buried under layers of other stuff like in Windows. Some people say it's (the Mac) a more "friendly" OS, others say it's not. YMMV. Just be prepared to "explain yourself" if you ever switch. :D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i tried to do a repair install and it did the same thing.. i then did a wipe out existing O/S restore and it crashed...

fun fun fun...

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Mow,
I have been experiencing some problems with my PC, see the PC Problems thread in this forum, and now have been thinking about getting a new PC, and have consider MAC in the past. I noticed on their website, an eMAC Combo Drive can be had for $799 with free shipping today. Any thoughts on which Mac to get? Is the $799 eMac Combo Drive a good one? What do I need if I get one, internet access, firewalls, anti-virus, printer drivers (I have a HP 3320 inkjet), etc.? Or can I just plug it in and go like their website says?

SJ,
Sorry to hear of your problems. I can really feel your pain, because I'm experiencing problems also. I follow everyones advice on downloading SpyBot, Adaware and the Zone Alarm and the AVG anti-virus. SpyBot worked the first time I used it, but now it won't open. Zone Alarm also isn't working and I got a win32 error when downloading AVG. I'm so frustrated now that a MAC is looking so much better.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Treed

My oldest daughter who is in college has an eMac. She has the $999 model with the Superdrive which burns DVD's. She is thrilled with it. She previously had a HP laptop running Win2K.

Your printer should work. Most likely the drivers will already be in the OS (OSX 10.5 "Panther"). You won't need anti-virus, spyware blockers, additional firewall software. There is anti-virus software available if you want it for piece of mind.

What will you be your primary use? Do you have a lot of games or specific Windows programs that your dependent on?

I realize the Mac's are pricey compared to the cheaper PC boxes that are available. But when you look and the features and the bundled software, they're not too bad. Note that Apple is different from your Dells,Gateways, and eMachines, etc., in that they but a lot of R&D into their Hardware design and Software, whereas your Dells and Gateways just assemble off the shelf parts and can offer really low prices. Also you can build a killer PC for a minimal cost, if that is something you want or like to do. That being said, if you want a machine that you just take out of the box and go, then I would seriously consider a Mac. They have great resale value, too.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Thanks, Mow.

I primarily want a basic, no-thrills computer with maybe some games and graphics. I don't particulary use a lot of windows-based software, so the software issue, or lack of software for Mac is not a problem. And I do want a machine that I can take out of the box and go. I am leaning toward the $799 Combo Drive, it seems to have what I want. Like I said, I don't need one that will tie my shoes, just something that will do the basics.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The Macs main weakness is games. Don't expect the latest and greatest games to be available for the Mac. You usually have to wait awhile before they are available. Also, your old Windows games probably wont work, unless the disks had both Mac and PC versions on them. The only "intensive" games I have are Nascar 2003 (with Logitech Steering wheel and pedals) and Return to Casltle Wolfenstein. Both play beautifully. Other than that, a new eMac should have everything you need for photos, video, email, websurfing, etc. There are over 10,000 software programs for OSX.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Mow,
Again, a million thanks. So far I don't have an extensive library of software for the PC, so starting over again with a MAC is no big deal. I'm still researching, but an eMac sounds good. Plus, I can still use my old PC, just not for the internet.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john

gotta love windows!!
I wonder if the SAM is corrupted and there is something globally wrong with the security that you can't log in with any account.

I just took a few minutes to do some searching around and found the same problem WITH a potential solution... Good luck and may the windows angels be looking over your shoulders.

See first thread for your same problem and second thread for proposed solution and last thread that someone did it and it worked for them. http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27955-1.html

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that does sound like the problem.. too late though i already formatted the drive.. still it installs then upon initial bootup gets an 'unmountable volume ' blue screen error and crashes..

Ive pulled the DVD drive (was the master CD) and installed from the other CD drive.. tried FDISK /mbr, formatted.. done repair installation and complete format and re-installation about 10 times and the damned thing keeps getting that error.

i thought when i did the fisk /mbr id wipe out most any viruses...

im trying a different windows CD now and doing a complete reinstall after deleting and recreating partitions... if that does not work.. not sure.. maybe ill switch the Hard drive and see if it installs or swap out the RAM...

funny.. ive installed XP a bunch of times.. this is only the 2nd pc that has given me problems the rest have installed totally clean..

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i finally got the damned thing to install.. apparently the windows XP cd was no good.. i installed (formatted and removed the existing OS) then re-installed a new version with another XP disk.. it installed ok and actually opened up when windows XP started instead of the mount volume blue screen error...

this is not my pc its my old bosses and id like to get it up and running for him.. so now at least windows is installed..

im gonna download adaware and spybot and install NAV and office.. set up his 4 outlook email accts and then hope i dont ever see this pc again...

:furious: :furious:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
sounds like you are having fun like I am. My lap top is SHOT. Tryed everything, and still acts up. Oh well think it's time for a new one, been Fing with this one all summer, and I dont need anymore stress in my life.:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
The same thing happened with the PC my kids use, a relatively new PC with Windows XP. The computer had virus software on it but I was continually fighting spy software. Just before it went into the "log-off" cycle, it got very slow, to the point I couldn't even run Ad-aware.
I did a partial re-install of XP, was able to copy critiical files onto a cd-r, and then did a complete reformat and re-install. I bet I have to do this every six months. I don't even blame my kids anymore. There is so much garbage that pops up and the dialouge boxes are tricky, in that if you push the close button, it takes you to a web site and then it it starts to install stuff at will.
I recently bought Net Nanny chat monitor and I am REAL impressed with how well it works. I am going to look into other products they make, specifically a firewall.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts