Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That is a very VERY sad story. One another note you see some people with the ROPS that folds. I think thats a good idea when its onlky folded for storage but you see people using it while folded. NOT smart.
Ryan

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Don't work well when your head sticks out above the top and no seat belt not to smart.
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I have to admit I also modified my ROPS on my Ford 1720, and for the same reason that farmer had his shortened. However I still have quite a bit of height above my head and the ROPS. I lacked a lousy 1" to enable me to put my tractor in the garage/shop, and it got old letting air out of tires all the time. I shortened it one inch by cutting off the mount flanges that bolt on top of the fenders and into the lower mount under the fenders. Rewelded the main portin of the ROPS back on with 7018 rod, and I do trust my life to it if it ever rolled or flipped. Be a little hard to do on my place but $hit happens.

As short as that ROPS on that skid loader was ,it was basically useless as a protective device, except perhaps unless a midget was the operator. While I may not always use seatbelt on my 1720, anytime I ever operated a skid steer loader (New Hollands and Bobcats) I always wore a seat belt, as it can get like riding a bucking horse in a heart beat, even on level ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts