Tractor Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you have a tractor or any vehicle for that matter that has a smaller turning radius in 4wd vs 2wd I would love to see it.......I have always found the exact opposite to be true....
Look at the spec sheets.
I remember clearly that the spec on the kubota L2550dt showed tighter turning in 4wd, and I certainly felt it in the seat. Might be more of a thing with AG tires than industrials or turfs.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
On hard dirt or grass, it definitely turns tighter in 4x4. The chevron bars give virtually no lateral grip, so giving them drive, helps pull the front end around. The rear diff also seams to be "more open" than others, if that makes sense. It really brake turns well, but would also go double speed on the icy driveway easily too.

·
982 Posts
If it is turning tighter in 4wd because the front tires are pulling you around you have a large amount of lead in your front to rear tire ratio's.
Unless you have one of the few tractors that actually had a two speed front axle for extra maneuverability.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
On hard dirt or grass, it definitely turns tighter in 4x4. The chevron bars give virtually no lateral grip, so giving them drive, helps pull the front end around. The rear diff also seams to be "more open" than others, if that makes sense. It really brake turns well, but would also go double speed on the icy driveway easily too.
I have industrial type tires on the CK3510 Kioti and Ag tires on the 2655 Massey.....Both are 4wd and neither turn tighter in 4wd then in 2wd drive......Maybe Kubota has done something different that I don't know about but it has been my experience with all of the 4wd tractors that I have ever owned or operated that, unless they are articulated, they turn better in 2wd then 4wd.....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
the Kubota does turn tighter than other 4x4 tractors I've messed with (not that I have crazy amounts of seat time on different machines). It has the same style axle as the Kioti, but drag link steering instead of rack and pinion. I think that gives it a tighter cut angle.
because the cut angle is so extreme, that might be the difference with why have the front pull helps.
There might also be some weird over-riding clutching and gearing games going on too. I really don't know.
then again, maybe I am miss-remembering the spec sheet and just convinced myself that it turns tighter in 4wd.

I don't drive the Kubota much these days. It is primarily a garden tractor now.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts