Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Buffalo New York area I know of about five good surplus stores and I shop them all. Being a hunter and outdoorsman I like government cammo etc. The old wool socks can't be beat.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I did

Not familiar with any in Houston...though I haven't looked, but there was one in Wisconsin I used to go to. I think it was called Sherpers.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chief

you can send me any you don't want, I wear them hunting .Love em

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I shop surplus, closeout, remnant stores all the time. Gotta save a buck somehow.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
After as many times as I have been to the field and had cold feet and been miserable. I asked the some of the grunt from the Rakasans what they liked best when I was shopping at the clothing sales store. All of them gave me a resounding thumbs up to the Thorlo calve high boot sock. The Army discontinued the wool sock. They do keep your feet warm and dry, especially if you have had your dogs in the same sock and boots for a "few" days.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Leolav,
If you are finding poor quality stuff, then it most likely isn't real govt. surplus. We have stores like that too, full of the "As seen on TV" crap that didn't sell for the hoped for $19.95 plus $8.95 shipping and is now priced at $6.00 and worth $2.00. I don't shop those places too much. But there is a great store in Allentown, PA called Army-Navy that does sell those really warm wool socks, parkas and boots. They also sell last years hot sneaker styles at a decent discount plus a full service gun shop. I am planning a pilgrimage though to the new Cabela's store in Hamburg, PA. I hear it's where all good hunter's and fishermen hope to go when they die.:D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
As far as socks go you can't beat the Thorlo's. They are a little more expensive but way worth it. The old standard issue wool socks used to blow out and end up around your ankles right away. I hate those socks. The military just started getting clued in to Gore-tex and some of the better fabrics here lately. Cotton and wool are the old staples.

My $.02 is to look a round at the better sporting goods stores and internet for deals on higher end water and wind proof clothes. They are better than the Gov surplus. They may cost more but they will last longer, more bang for the buck!! Unless you just need work type clothes that you are not worried about it shedding water and keeping the weather out. Then they are cheap and will probably last a while. Happy hunting!:coffee:

You can try cabelas, rei, campmore, basspro, those are just the ones off the top of my head.
Bye

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just got a pair of Mickey Mouse boots from a surplus store in Ill. I had a pair back in the 60's, never had cold feet with them. Very pleased so far, they shipped immediately, and the boots are new for 40 bucks. Maybe you can tell me though, what are the valves for? My old ones didn't have them.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
The air valves are for releaving pressure at altitude during flight and to create an insulating air pocket to help keep your feet warm. I don't like wearing them unless it is extremely cold due to the fact that they make my feet sweat like crazy and after few hours of wearing them can make your feet a leathal weapon capable of clearing large rooms from the foot odor. ;) :D :furious: :lmao: :spinsmile

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
The air valves are for releaving pressure at altitude during flight and to create an insulating air pocket to help keep your feet warm. I don't like wearing them unless it is extremely cold due to the fact that they make my feet sweat like crazy and after few hours of wearing them can make your feet a leathal weapon capable of clearing large rooms from the foot odor. ;) :D :furious: :lmao: :spinsmile
Standing around or in a goose blind are great, move around and you are in trouble when you take them off!!! The first thing we did at cool school was change socks when we stopped moving around. :dazed:

Then you could dry out the socks around the fire.:shower:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I assume I don't air them up. I only plan on wearing them when it's below 0 and sitting in the tractor, although having that much power over a room full of people is tempting. :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The valve is for when you fly or go up in altitude, you can relieve the pressure so they don't blow up!:eek:mg: You would probably need to open it again when you come back down or they will collapse. Riding around on the tractor you shouldn't need the valve. Unless your tractor can fly!!! Sounds scary to me!cruisin

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Mickey mouse boots. Well I tell you this we Grunts hate Mickey mouse boots. You will always slip and bust you A$$ when walking it the snow. No traction in the snow!!! Buy yourself some mattahorns

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Sergeant
Mickey mouse boots. Well I tell you this we Grunts hate Mickey mouse boots. You will always slip and bust you A$$ when walking it the snow. No traction in the snow!!!

hmmm, OK for us thick people, umm What the heck is a Mickey mouse boot??

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Mickey mouse boots are the rubber boots with the air valve discussed above. They get their name from the color and the fact that they make your feet look very large compared to your body, like a cartoon character.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I used to shop the surplus stores but the ones around here carry more made in china junk than military surplus anymore. I am fortunate in that the southeasts DRMO yard is here in Montgomery area and another in Georgia abaut 4 hours away. They are central collection points for all military and federal government items that is going to be scraped or sold off. They cover FBI, BATF, Navy, Army etc etc, so there is quite a bit of selection. Only thing is you usually have to buy it in lots, but what you pay for a lot is usually not much more than the price gouges charge for one or two of them in a store. You can check out a DRMO yard stock of items online, and you can also be put on the mailing list for your area DRMO's so you know when an auction is coming up. Lots of them have a small item or small quanity outlet now, so you can actually go and buy some tiems without having to bid on them. I bought 6 mummy bags rated for extreme cold weather for $5.00 each. Brand new shelter halfs for $2.00 and nylon poncho liners for 6.00 each. The older style ponchos are going for $1.50 but the newer nylon ponchos are $5 a piece. Brand new BDU type field jackets are selling for about $15.00 each.

The USAF got away from 100% wool socks about 1980 or so. Now they are 70% wool and the rest nylon. We were only issued Gortex socks etc when going to certain areas.

The of course you always have all those neat unidentifiable items that cost Uncle Sam a fortune but you can buy for pennies.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I go through the DRMO yard on Ft. Campbell and find interesting stuff every now and then. They keep changing the rules on buying the stuff though, which makes it difficult to follow the sales.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts