1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Which chemical to use to kill bushes and weeds (not grass)?

Discussion in 'Country and Rural Living' started by GFC Firefighter, May 4, 2011.

1. GFC Firefighter

GFC Firefighter Blut und Boden Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm thinking about using some chemicals (not hard because truthfully I don't really like using chemicals but I am going to try it out) around our farm. I want to kill some bushes and weeds along our fence rows, in the yards, and around the farm.

I don't want it to hurt any trees. I have one tree that sprouts out it's vines but I don't want to kill the tree itself since my grandfather's mother planted it.

I was thinking about 2,4D. Will this be good for what I want?

2. wjjones

wjjones Moderator Staff Member

May 27, 2010

Ortho® Weed-B-Gon get the concentrate so you can mix by the sprayer full instead of the little pre-mixed bottles. I have used it and it only kills broadleaf weeds not grass or trees... the only fault is it wont kill johnson grass.

3. GFC Firefighter

Jul 14, 2010
    How long will this stuff stay dead until I have to respray?

4. Foxfire

Foxfire New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Not real sure what you're up against, but being a Firefighter and all, I'd think you'd be the first to light something up. I run with the USFS, we've been using prescribed Fire on Blueberries, clearings and such in the springtime to control woody growth. there's a bit of a trick to it alright.. just burn back around the stuff you want to keep, maybe have an engine around just for insurance, and let her rip.. works pretty well.. has for quite some time now. smells and tastes a whole lot better than 2,4D, db

5. parapower

parapower Member

Nov 29, 2010
    use super brush killer it is sold at co op

6. parapower

parapower Member

Nov 29, 2010
    go to co op and buy supper brush killer. it will take care of your needs

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I imagine Weed B-Gone is a spendy version of 2-4-D. Generic 2-4-D is cheap. It is only for broad leaf plants. Round-Up and its generic versions are a broad spectrum herbicide. It only kills post emerge and breaks down quickly in the soil.

8. GFC Firefighter

Jul 14, 2010
    I do usually burn but in this situation if I set it on fire....the trees will go up too. :lmao:

We were training some guys with the USFS down here in Georgia, but they were from out West. Prescribe burning here was way different for them. lol.

9. tractor beam

tractor beam ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS Staff Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    How about goats GFC? No chemicals and much more affordable!:lmao:

10. GFC Firefighter

Jul 14, 2010
    The wolves will get them.
    Or the T-rex off of Jurrasic Park.

11. tractor beam

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    This should cover that problem.................. Goats with guns!:lmao:

Attached Files:

12. tractor beam

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    You have wolves down there huh?

13. wjjones

May 27, 2010

They will eat his trees too!...:D

14. tractor beam

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    And tractors and house and....... Yup, in fact a goat would eat everything but what you wanted them to eat!:lmao:

15. rsmith335

rsmith335 RICK THE PLUMBER Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2010
    You guys are hung up on goats, if I rember right brush killers have to be sprayed on folliage to be efective and won't hurt mature trees, unless you spray the folliage.

16. wjjones

May 27, 2010

I thought so as well until i used Gly-4 it killed a 40' cedar i accidentally sprayed on the trunk..:eek:

17. rsmith335

rsmith335 RICK THE PLUMBER Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Wow it's good to know that. I have some Cedars that are that old on my place and wouldn't want to kill them. I usualllyuse 2 4 d to spray the yard & fields.

18. NBKnight

NBKnight Member

2-4-D with Princep.

19. hackware

hackware New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    heh, after the goats clear out the briar patches and brush, they make great bbq...

william...

20. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    How about cutting the bushes/brush down and using a foam paintbrush to coat the cut surface with stump killer? Less chance of killing something you don't want dead, and less herbicide used over all.