Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while about some help on an issue we were having. I have just learned it is the drive motor. We have used this very little so it obviously was sold to us in this condition this past spring and I can't in good conscious pass this problem on to someone else.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to get a used drive motor (I believe the part number to be 5023091SM)? We are in a small rural town in Iowa and lawn more graveyards are not much of a choice here. Does it have to be OEM?

We purchased it on the high side and have since sunk money into all belts, blades and etc. A new one is out of the question.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I posted a while about some help on an issue we were having. I have just learned it is the drive motor. We have used this very little so it obviously was sold to us in this condition this past spring and I can't in good conscious pass this problem on to someone else.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to get a used drive motor (I believe the part number to be 5023091SM)? We are in a small rural town in Iowa and lawn more graveyards are not much of a choice here. Does it have to be OEM?

We purchased it on the high side and have since sunk money into all belts, blades and etc. A new one is out of the question.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
That part # is from Ferris.... If you use that part # number in your search, all you'll see are high $$$ drive motors because of the Ferris name. It's a Hydro-Gear drive motor...... The actual Hydro-Gear Part # is HGM-12P-7172. Here's the best deal I could find for a new one. Before you die of shock over $400, that's about 1/2 the price you'll normally see on line
Ferris Drive Motor

You didn't say your level of mechanical talent, but they are relatively easy to rebuild and the kits are cheap compared to others

Seal Kit:
Hydro Gear 70626-1
ON OR BEFORE SERIAL # 5146N10001 $135

Seal Kit:
Hydro Gear 70626-2
AFTER SERIAL # 5146N10001 $100

Bearing Kit:
Hydro Gear: 71501 $112

Service Manual:
Hydro Gear: BLN-52197 $18

Here's where you can buy those parts at those prices. It's the 3rd listing from the top
HGHGM-12P-7172 rebuild parts

If you do find that motor used, it's probably going to run $300-$400 because it's off a Ferris, and it's a roll of the dice if it's any better than the one you got.

Here's a blow-up of the actual internal parts in that motor....
HGM-12P-7172 rebuild parts diagram

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That part # is from Ferris.... If you use that part # number in your search, all you'll see are high $$$ drive motors because of the Ferris name. It's a Hydro-Gear drive motor...... The actual Hydro-Gear Part # is HGM-12P-7172. Here's the best deal I could find for a new one. Before you die of shock over $400, that's about 1/2 the price you'll normally see on line
Ferris Drive Motor

You didn't say your level of mechanical talent, but they are relatively easy to rebuild and the kits are cheap compared to others

Seal Kit:
Hydro Gear 70626-1
ON OR BEFORE SERIAL # 5146N10001 $135

Seal Kit:
Hydro Gear 70626-2
AFTER SERIAL # 5146N10001 $100

Bearing Kit:
Hydro Gear: 71501 $112

Service Manual:
Hydro Gear: BLN-52197 $18

Here's where you can buy those parts at those prices. It's the 3rd listing from the top
HGHGM-12P-7172 rebuild parts

If you do find that motor used, it's probably going to run $300-$400 because it's off a Ferris, and it's a roll of the dice if it's any better than the one you got.

Here's a blow-up of the actual internal parts in that motor....
HGM-12P-7172 rebuild parts diagram
Oh my gosh - you are my new hero for all of that information!!! When you say they are not hard to rebuild - for someone that can only change oil and blades?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Oh my gosh - you are my new hero for all of that information!!! When you say they are not hard to rebuild - for someone that can only change oil and blades?

Thanks.
Judge for yourself..... Here's the Factory Service Manual from Hydro-gear with the detailed instructions. The only real internal wear item is the gear rotor set. You have to tear it down and measure the clearance with a feeler gauge to know if it needs replaced. More than .004 clearance on most gear rotor sets is replacement time. That gear rotor set might run as high as $200, plus $135 for the seal kit, puts you at $335.

Here's a link to Amazon showing one for $390.... But scroll down and look for the USED one from the Amazon warehouse for $230. It's probably an Amazon return with damaged packaging. I'd be all over that one, if I were in your situation.

Amazon warehouse Used Motor $230

Hydro-Gear Service Manual

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Really, the hardest [art is getting the drive out of the mower frame. Simple hand tools and some Torx sockets take it apart and a little common sense puts it back together again (and some fresh oil too)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Really, the hardest [art is getting the drive out of the mower frame. Simple hand tools and some Torx sockets take it apart and a little common sense puts it back together again (and some fresh oil too)
With a weak full blown hydraulic drive systems (pump & drive motor), you really need to test it with a flow meter. Most guys don't have them, but it's the only way to know if it's a weak pump or drive motor. Degree of difficulty to rebuild either one is about the same. Once you determine which component is weak (low flow - excessive return flow), it's the internal wear parts that can run into some serious $$$ and the only way to determine that is disassemble and measure to compare to wear specs. Gerotor sets and pump housings aren't cheap....

Flow meters aren't cheap either and unless you work on a lot of hydraulic drive units, they're not really practical for the toolbox of the average DIY mechanic. A Hydro Gear 70661 BDP Flow meter runs about $750 retail. I bought mine several years ago for $200 from a guy that was closing his mower shop and retiring. It's made me a bunch of $$$ over the years and saves the drama of guessing which component is weak. I've torn down many a unit to find out that by the time you buy the replacement wear parts and added the total labor, it's a better option to just buy new and get the factory warranty.

70661 Flowmeter
Body jewelry Font Cable Jewellery Circle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts