Tractor Forum banner

when you bought your last Garden tractor.. what was the major reason for buying it

• Price?

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • color?

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Brand?

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • just felt right to you?

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Dealership?

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • brand loyalty?

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Motor Manufacturer?

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Other Reason?

Votes: 20 24.7%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when you bought your last garden tractor what were the driving forces or reasons for buying it?

Was it price?
color?
Brand?
model?
Dealership?
brand loyalty?
Motor Manufacturer?

Me, i was deciding betreen a Deere GT245 and a simplicity prestige.

At the time, I'd never seen a simplicity but had heard and read of their reputation.

I had always always wanted a deere...

In the end i picked the simplicity..

My reasons:
1. The Simples motor was made in US. The motor was a kohler, the 245 deeres all came with kawasaki motors - Now there is nothing wrong with a kawasaki motor.. they may even be better than a kohler.. The dealer had told me deere had been using them since 1985. But i wanted a US made motor.. kawasaki may be assembled in the US,maybe even made in the US.. But the name does not sound like the US.. for me, that was a big deciding factor as to why i went with the simple.

on a comparison: The prestige vs the 245 had the prestige a little bigger, and metal hood, and bigger gas tank and tranny K71 vs K66 (I think)

Another factor, the Deere dealer really did not want to deal with me too much.. big money for a tractor and they nickel and dimed me on a potential trade.

So my main criteria was
1. Made in US
2. quality of the machine - still sure the 245 is a great great machine

The added benefits were the locking diff and ACT...

Striping was an afterthought....

as a followup question... Are you HAPPY with your choice???

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
In 1979 I was looking for a garden tractor that I could start a lawn maintenance business with. I looked at Cub, Simplicity, Case, Deere, Massey Ferguson (Snapper), Wheelhorse and a 4 wheel Gravely. I bought the one that had the controls laid out comfortably and decent leg room with a spring mounted seat, the Deere 316. Several of the other models also had K-series Kohlers and all but the Gravely were hydrostatic, but I knew I was gonna be sitting on it for a lot of hours per week. I still have it, so it was apparently a good choice.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Purchased my Craftsman GT after owning a couple of Case 446's that I was constantly repairing (sound familiar Paul)....While it didn't have the hydraulics like the Case, I liked the simplicity of the unit....No hydraulic pumps to wear out, no differentials to break....Changing a clutch means replacing a belt...I'm happy with my decision...gives me more time to play "on" the tractor rather than work "on" the tractor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got the Scotts GT since I knew it was made by JD and had a super price and warranty on it. Plus I knew that loyal JD dealers/service depts. would be able to work on it. Like the color, style, power and reliability of the unit.

-LC
:lucky:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
Purchased my Craftsman GT after owning a couple of Case 446's that I was constantly repairing (sound familiar Paul)....While it didn't have the hydraulics like the Case, I liked the simplicity of the unit....No hydraulic pumps to wear out, no differentials to break....Changing a clutch means replacing a belt...I'm happy with my decision...gives me more time to play "on" the tractor rather than work "on" the tractor.

Ya, but there is something about REAL tough, and REAL overbuilt that I realy like about them.:D :D

I have to say that is why I got my Ingersolls. I was shopping for an old JD318 when I was shopping for my first tractor when I got my land. The prices were out of this world. Cheapest I found was $2500, and it was BEAT!! Well happand to run across a used Ingersoll 3016, and I was SO impressed by the toughness, and overbuilt nature of it. Did not buy that one, but added another brand to my shopping list. Ran across my 444 for a nice price, and the rest is history. Would realy like to get a newer one. Give ME the chance to put the 20 years of fathfull service to use, and THEN spend the time fixing it up.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I looked around the neighborhood at what the others were using. What troubles they were having and the quality of cut. My neighbor had a Deere LT 155 for a couple of trouble free years that I really liked. I was concerned about parts availability in the long run after running into trouble finding deck parts for my Jacobsen, but it was 30 years old.:D I had my eye on the Deere anyway for several years from the time I looked at it while purchasing our Toro Super Recycler. Having multiple independent local dealers for parts and service was probably the biggest deciding factor. Since I was planning on keeping it for many years, price was not really a consideration as I wanted something that was a little overbuilt for my needs.

Mark
John Deere LT150H
15 HP. Kohler Single
38" Tricycler Deck w/ Mulch Kit

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I looked long and hard. My criteria was not all that complicated.
It simply involved color ..........as long as it was green with yellow and had 4 black tires with the name John Deere on it, it was for me! Pretty simple choice in all reality.

This color selection was based on past years of experieince and association with these colors............

We have a local private school here. Its in Montgomery, and its colors are green and yellow........folks often refer to it as the John Deere Academy............which is quite ironic, as there is not a hint of 4H or any agriculture courses taught there, and 99% of its students and faculty would argue that eggs come from a supermarket.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I try the department store type, the AYP's. They were inferior in design, inferior in quality, and inferior in durability. My lawn tractor of choice now is John Deere. It is complete opposite of the beforementioned AYP. I now own three Deeres, a '66 110, a '78 214 and a '85 112L. All can outperform the AYPs and MTD's at the department stores.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I got my first tractor a new 1966 Bolens 850 the only brands I'd seen or heard of were Wheel Horse and John Deer.
I knew I didn't want one of them.
I had never heard of Bolens but was driving around the area and saw them at a dealer stopped in & made a deal on the tractor 38'' belly mower 48'' front blade and rear tiller all for $993.oo.
Wouldn't you love to be able to buy a new set up like this today for that kind of money?
Little did I know that I would still have this tractor and implements 40 years later or imagine how much work I would get out of this rig during this time.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
When My 1988 MTD was near death last year (finally) I traded it it in on a JD stx38 (yellow deck). Went from an 18hp down to a 12hp, but it was all I could afford (traded +$50). Wish it was bigger, but it's just not in the budget! It works good, but is WAY under powered for what I need!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our aging 10 year old 16/46 Sabre made me look for power-steering/hydraulic implement lift and a 54" deck. The 23/54 Prestige had all we wanted with diff lock to boot.

I looked at the JD GXs and X Series, Kubota, TORO 5xx, CC 3xxx and found the best value for the money to be the Prestige.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I know I didn't want a manual tranny and that meant buying one used (for reasons of cost). That also meant buying a make model and year that had te best reviews. I wanted a Simp because I quicky noticed NONE of the reviews of owners ever suggested they would buy anything else, but Simplicity is not a brand that is easily come by.

I actually looked at an older IH Cub and a Bolens first. They were okay, but a bit rough for the asking price, if you ask me. Albany Bob was a big help in helping me recognize a good deal in a Simp (thanks Bob). Now I've got one and I'm really happy when I get to use her. My only problem is that I've been deployed for most of the mowing season in the past two years and don't get the seat time I'd like. Perhaps next year.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Nice to see you post again, this thread is over two years old!! Please repost your exalted findings at a new thread in the Simplicity section!! I'd enjoy reading it....

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Welcome back Joker! Sorry to hear about being deployed so much. Been there and done that for 21 years myself. Thanks for your service to our nation and standing for all of us. Are you Navy?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Good to see you again Joker!

What model Simplicity did you buy? I had one several years ago and really liked it. Always a struggle to get enough seat time.

Andy

·
LT/GT Moderator
597 Posts
nothin runs like a deere till it breaks, GO SIMPLICITY

·
Registered
14 Posts
Poll

I used a Simplicity Broadmoor 1600 at work.
The following year my Cub Cadet was history and i owned a 1600 with foot controls.
Cuts a beautiful lawn.
The JD dealer dropped off a 18 horse liquid cooled and I bought the Simplicity. Nicer lawn and shorter turn.
brad

·
LT/GT Moderator
597 Posts
I agree saldana17 i bet it looks good where you live, door county is beautiful we go there every year and my aunt just bought a condo out there

·
Registered
291 Posts
Three weeks ago Today I replaced my CC GT2554 with a new Kubota BX1500.

Why Ya Ask

Cause I wanted
Diesel engine
4wd
power steering
3 point hitch
rear pto
ROPS
full hydraulics

At the same time I replaced my 2 old Bolens 850 tractors
that had a front blade on 1 and a rear tiller on the other 1.
I Replaced them with a used Kubota BX1500 with a new front blade and a new tiller on it.

Why did I do that ya say

Cause I wanted
Diesel engine = was tired of keeping both gasoline and diesel on hand. Then too it helps justify setting up a tank for delivery of off road lest costly diesel.
4wd = better traction to handle the blade and tiller.
power steering = got tired of arm wrestling manual steering.
3 point hitch
rear PTO
ROPS
full hydraulics = getting to old to fight lifting the rather heavy front blade and tiller with a manual lift set up.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts