Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a "hide shaker" all I had to do was leftover flesh of the hides before they sent them to the tannery. Once you got past the smell, the fly, the maggots, the sticky blood and heat it wasn’t a bad job.
I had a ’66 VW bug that we removed the seat covers so after work me and my chums (pun intended) would jump in the river and let the fish attacks us.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Plumbing i hated all 3 years of it. Theres noithing like having to mess with other people sh!t :sick:

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I worked in a box factory where most of the operators were missing at LEAST 2 fingers. After the boss yelled at me for letting the machine jam up too often and told me I needed to stick my hands inside the running machine to keep tension on the roll of cardboard, I quit. I was there 2 days. As an aside, the nicest fella I met there was on work release from a prison. They'd bring him in in handcuffs, pucnch his time card for him and THEN unlock the cuffs. He was finishing up a 7-10 year stretch for beating a guy half to death, but honest! He really was a decent guy.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Notification officer to Next of Kin, A job you will never want and one you will never forget!
Dean

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Litter Crew supervisor. I did it for 3 years part time in Nevada. Most do not realize what a hot dangerous job it really it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I worked in the machine shop at a foundry running a CNC machine. Very hot work!

It could have been a lot worse, I could have been working in the actual foundry with the screaming hot metal.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Picking fly $hit out of pepper with boxing gloves on........I hated that job....:furious:

I guess my worst job was my round of $hit burning in the Army while serving in Vietnam.........Usually this was assigned to screwups, or green troops who just arrived in country and were at a replacement battalion awaiting unit assignment. Every day you had to make the rounds of all the latrines, and pull out the half of a 55 gal drum that was under the honey holes, and put in an empty half drum. Then you dumped about 5 gal of diesel fuel in the half drum and set it on fire.......keep stirring the "pot" until all thatw as left was ash.......usually you had quite a few fires going at one time so it was always stir, move to the net, stir, and move again over and over...........Thing was I was not a newbie when I got put on this detail for 2 weeks, I was a Screwup and on my 2nd tour! I was a Corporal ( and in line for Sgt.) prior to this job, but was a PFC during my time as a $hit burner.........:smoking:

To be honest that was really theo ly job, short as it was that I really hated.......as I have enjoyed all my other jobs I have ever had, or I would not have taken them. and yes, I have gone hungry sometimes just from being hard headed and not taking a job even as a get by!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Working in a foundry during the summer of 1970 was my worst job. Yep, if they don't vent the molds right, they'll blow up on you! I can't think of a worse burn than molten metal, it just burns everything up.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Worst job I ever had was a food handler in an airplane food manufacturer in CT. I used to take a stainless steel shovel and shovel mac and cheese into a portioning machine all day. It would then portion the slop into a tray and within a few minutes it would be frozen solid!!

The environment was absolutely disgusting. The rodents in that place would scare cats away. You could put saddles on some of them.

I ended up getting transfered to a different parts of the facility to load boxes on pallets all day in the freezer. Not to bad a job, but it was a non-stop work area. I would go to lunch and come back and the boxes would just keep coming. It would take me at least 2 hours to catch up.

I then got a job working for a golf course and that was the end of the crap shoveling.

I stayed their through my senior year of high school, all 4 years of college, 1 year of graduate school and 1 year after I got a real job (on weekends). I still wonder if I should have stayed on the mower vs what I do now, but I do enjoy my job.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
worse? Work for an apple farm. After a day and a half in the field, weeding baby apple trees, I sad F this!! Its to much like work. Oh and it was only like $2 an hour under the table.:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Where do I begin?

I have shoveled, forked, and wheeled every variety of animal waste working on the farms as a kid. Worked on the narrow gauge railroad Lackawanna plant of Bethleham Steel, if the hot steel did not get you the fumes from the pickler did. Worked for Allied Chemical Corp. as a heavy rigger in a dye plant, you would come home any number of colors, when you took youir shower to go home you soaked your feet in bleach. Then I worked as a rigger in Donner Hanna Coke Ovens,dirtiest job I ever had.
Now I have been working in the prison system for the last 23 years, sure have met some of the worst people in the free world.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
House painting has got to be the most dreaded job that comes to my mind. :D ;)
At one time I would have had to agree with you on this..........but now I view it differently. I break it down into three (ssometimes it works out to 4 parts though) parts. Parts 1 and 3 are the bad parts, part two is not a biggie. 4 Can actually be the ultimate worst.

Part 1....sanding, scraping, scratching, whatever it takes to prep the surface is the worst......

Part 2..... Applying the paint is a piece of cake........

Part 3......Cleanup of rollers, brushes, yourself is almost as bad as prep work.

Part 4.....sometimes but not always but there is always the possiblity......The better half decides its just a shade or two too light or two dark so you have to do it over.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Notification officer to Next of Kin

So far these jobs we all have suck, but I think Archdean's job of being a notification officer would have been the worst for me. At least in the other jobs we could find little (even it it was a small bit) humor in them even though they were a pain the butt.
But being a notification officer there is no way to make that a job fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see some pretty rotten jobs on here. Cleaning the hides is about the worse IMHO

Two that i've had come to mind, when I was 15 the town I lived had a big shoe/rubber manufactureing plant. my summer job was to wear test boots. On the hottest day of july they decided we needed to wear test fire fighters boots, they made us walk through the downtown area with these oversize boots up to our butts! We thought walking around dowtown and getting paid for it was a good way to meet chics. Not!

I then went to work in an egg processing plant and had to clean up after they ran the productioin line for 10 hours, dozens of broken eggs on the floor, on the conveyors etc... lasted one week at that. Decided then that finishing highschool was a good idea.

·
Registered
977 Posts
never really had any job that i absolutely hated. one hot dusty job comes to mind however. cleaning out grain annex in mid summer at the local elevator i think i was 13 or 14 when i did that. it was worth it in the end bought myself new motorcycle that summer. then worked construction part time and for a moving company part time for a couple years and bought my first truck. started pulling wrenches after that in a few different places. coldest place i ever worked in seismic camps in the artic. now i farm and have my own shop worse part of that is the paperwork and collecting bills

·
Registered
477 Posts
The most boring and repetitive job I have had was working for an injection molding factory, making plastic bottles. Sitting in one place for 8 hours, stretching plastic labels over Westleys Bleach-White bottles, as they come at you on the conveyor belt.

The dirtiest job I have had is gelcoating in Florida for a fiberglass offshore fishing boat manufacturer. The one-piece olefin "monkey suit" with a hood and respirator, inside a 105-115 degree metal building, was rather hot. I would take my boots off at the end of the day, and literally dump sweat out of them. It was a dirty job, but I actually liked it. I gelcoated for over three years, two as an apprentice. It is definately an art, and something I took pride in as I pulled my rig and 55 gal. drum away to go to the next mold.

I also worked in a 220 acre watermelon field while in high school- flipping vines and pulling weeds. That sucked.

Greg

·
Registered
497 Posts
I dont think I ever had a job I hated but I did have the worlds worst boss.

The day my first daughter was born he called. I thought, "man, for a mean ole cuss he is calling to congradulate me". WRONG! His exact words, yes I remember them from 12 years ago, "you need to get your priorities straight, women can have children on their own. We need you at work.". Needless to say I stayed put with the wife.

The next day when he took the papers to HR for my dismissal he became the laughing stock of the office. At first everyone thought he was joking, once they realised he wasn't he was laughed at even harder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts