Tractor Forum banner

What tires do you run?

16K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  enigma-2 
#1 ·
OK, so what do you all use for tires?

Me? I am sold on AG tires. After spending a year slipping, and sliding on the hils of my land, I ran chains for a year. It was SO nice knowing I would not get stuck, but the chains were driving me crazy. So sence the tires on my 444 needed replacing anyways, I went out, and got a set of Firestone Feild, and road AG tires. They are AWSOME!!! Never slip anymore.

For now my 224 still has turfs on it, but they are getting REAL dryrotted. Looks like Bar tires will be going on that next spring.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Some people say that AG tires rip up the lawn. Well, I have had more damange done by the turfs slipping, then the ag have done. OK I would guess if you had REAL loamy soil, maybe, but in any real yard, AG's are the way to go.

Funny story. After 30 years the tires finly gave out on my Mom's JD 112. I was going to get bar tires for it, but figured "na, the turfs are cheeper, and her yard is mostly flat" HA!! BIG MASTAKE!! Spent all year slipping, on about three, or four places in her yard. Don't you hate when you don;t take your own advice???

#4 ·
I wish you guys would decide once and for all what the correct answer is so I would know what to do:confused:

So if I stop and think about it, 99% of the time, turf tires work just fine, (remember, 42.9% of statistics are made up on the spot), so for 1% is it worth the money? The only time they don't work is when they get slimed full of mud or snow. Plus, ag tires have got to bite into the soil, else they would have no more traction then turf's, but can't imagine that one would notice it normaly. Are the ag's rougher riding? Also, I've gotten big tractors stuck (very embarrassing), where the tires are just as slimed as with ag tires.

Well, that certainly clears it up, thanks for listening:sleep:

Attachments

#5 ·
If I had it to do over again, or if money was no problem, I'd go with the industrial bar tire rather than Ags. Industrials offer a cleated tread, just not as aggressive as Ags. Driving down the road with my Ags beats the hell out of my tractor and me. I think industrial tread would help in that situation. It's always a trade off. I guess it depends on what your going to use your tractor on the most as to what tire you put on it. I can live with the chains on my GT for the winter but definetly turf treads come spring. But then again I have the 1715 for other tasks.

#6 ·
I've toyed with a ag tread vs turf tread, but I keep coming up with the same answer. For the amount of times I get stuck and spin tires, they are not worth it to me. I do use weights and chains for plowing snow, but that is one once a year and off in spring.

If I do get stuck in the mud, I am strong enough to lift the rear end of both my tractors and move them to dry ground. I usually won't go where I know I would sink out of sight.

#8 ·
Last year I couldn't get my hands on AG tires quickly and saw these ATV tires at a Farm & Ranch Supply. I decided to give them a try since I immediately needed to mow some slopes and was tired of sliding off them. They have the OEM turf tires beat 100:1 and the price was pretty good. I pushed snow last winter with them and had no trouble but the snow was only about 18" deep. I suppose if the snow was deeper chains might help too. They don't tear up the ground unless you sit in one place and spin them. Of course they all do that.

Sorry it's such a crappy picture.......

Attachments

#9 ·
Just when I'd decided to never think about ag tires again you post that:cry:

So, what brand are they? Very interesting looking. What the heck kind of snow do you have that you can push 18" without any problem.

I've heard that you shouldn't use ATV tires on a tractor. Apparently they're wrong about that.

#10 ·
Yep --- please post price and supplier if at all possible. I often wondered why the GT5000 didn't come with tires more suited to that style pictured than the standard turf tires ---- I really like that style and it would have matched the engine, tranny and overall expected usage much better than standard turf tires.

;)

Andy

#12 ·
As I said I needed the tires immediately. I was mowing the hiway slope and it wouldn't climb up or if I went sideways it slide down. I went to a local Farm & Ranch Supply and happened to see these. Since it was Saturday I went ahead and bought them, mounted them and was mowing right away. Wow, what a difference. I think, but can't prove it, the knobs help keep the tractor from sliding sideways on a slope. They don't mark up the dirt much, although that's not a concern to me. If you sit in one place and spin them they will dig a hole, like any other tire. As far as what kind of snow I push, it's just plain old snow. Not packed. The turf tires that came on it would be worthless in snow without chains. I used them a total of about 45 min. for mowing.

It says on the tire the brand is Nanco. They are 25x10x12 4 ply. The turf tires were Carlisle 23x10.5x12 2 ply. It raised the rear end up an inch. I releveled the deck and everything fits just fine without problems on my GT 3000. You might want to check the clearence of the mower deck and fenders before buying. I think I paid $52 each with tax. I don't know where else they may be sold but I've seen the same tread at several online ATV tire sales. I think it's a common tread. TSC or any 4 wheeler dealer may have them. I'm not saying they're better than AG tires but they do a good job and work for me.

HTH

Old_Nodaker
I've never heard anything about not using ATV tires on a tractor. I can't see what difference it would make as long as the size is right. Enlighten me......

#13 ·
got some of each

On my cub I have turf tires and chains

On My ford 5000 I have Ag tires

On my John Deere 4600 I have R-4 industrial

Simplicity 727 has turf,also have chains for it

Farmall super C and A have ag tires

Turf tires on wet ground slip around and leave marks

Ag tires on soft ground leave ruts

The John Deere don't play fair ,it has 4 wheel drive

Add chains leave marks ,but go a lot better

pushing snow, chains are the way to go if there is ice underneath

IH 5000 crawler no tire at all ,goes anywhere

#14 ·
Hi Pete NM,
The only thing I have heard about using ATV tires on a tractor was that you need a tire that has a high enough load rating with thick enough side walls.... This is just what I heard off the internet, not personal experience. The tires to stay away from would be lite duty type used on golf carts or other lite load vehicles. Your tires look heavy duty and I would not be worried.

#17 ·
Ed
Thanks for the reply. Light duty tires is about what I figured. I never use them on anything. When I found these tires I was looking for some Duro's like yours but they didn't have any. I needed to get going so settled for these. I was worried about raising the COG also. I took a chance and am satisfied.

#18 ·
Agree

I have no idea about chains or not with a snowblower, I've never been around one. I would make sure you have room for them before you buy. I don't have any liquid in my tires or wheel weights (yet). I do have a set of chains I could use if necessary. I don't know how they compare with AG's as I haven't tried them. I'm happy, your milage may vary. Good luck...

#19 ·
I have heard the same as Edgt5000. The tires are a little more flimsy then a lot of GT tires. I would say that for normal mowing use, the would work fine though. I had thought about getting a set for my 224, but I hang a log splitter off of the back a few times a year, and she is a good few hundred lbs. So I will be getting a se of bar tread tires. Hope I can find 6ply, but 4 will do the trick.

#20 ·
Originally posted by Ingersoll444

I have heard the same as Edgt5000. The tires are a little more flimsy then a lot of GT tires. I would say that for normal mowing use, the would work fine though. I had thought about getting a set for my 224, but I hang a log splitter off of the back a few times a year, and she is a good few hundred lbs. So I will be getting a se of bar tread tires. Hope I can find 6ply, but 4 will do the trick.
He said that these were 4-ply and the OEM's he replaced were 2-ply. I'd say they were a little more durable.

#22 ·
I will likely try the bar treads at some point and 6 ply would be my preference too. These are much heavier, visual and feeling them than the OEM's. They weigh more too. I carry pretty good loads in a rear bucket and they seem to handle it OK.

#23 ·
Originally posted by Argee
He said that these were 4-ply and the OEM's he replaced were 2-ply. I'd say they were a little more durable.
Opps sorry. Missed that. They do look like the tires that come on the big 4wd utilty quads, maybe it was the smaller, lawn tractor sizes, I had herd about.

So Pete, anny down sides that you have found???

#25 ·
R-4

These are the Titen R-4 industrial tires on my 4600 JD.This tractor can go anywhere with these babies.Being 4 wheel drive ,if you have it engaged and turn on soft lawn ,you spit sod.In 2 wheel drive it is much easier on the grass.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.