Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have been lurking these forums for about a year now looking for ideas and previous recommendations on tractors that would similarly fit my acerage/farm. However, I still have yet to come to a decision. Hoping the good folks from tractorforum can help me out.

Here is my background. Tractor needed for small hobby farm. Farm is a total of 480 acres but all reasonable tillable is rented to farmers. I just maintain the marginal ground, pasture (about 25 acres) and CRP. Tractor is needed for the following:
1. Mowing/Tilling/Seeding (maintance) of ~50 Acres of CRP, rarely need to work on all 50 at once. Usually 10-20 acres each year.
2. Tilling (have 7' tiller) and planting food plots amounting to about 7 acres each year.
3. Snow removal, have dual stage snow devil snowblower for yard and partial gravel road.
4. Random FEL work like tree cleanup, landscaping projects..etc.

Right now I have a ~2001 New Holland TC 45, ~45 hp loader tractor. I love this machine but running my 5' mower behind it for CRP is both slow and miserable without a cab. Even with 4wd, it struggles with traction in the winter. I love that it is light so I can haul on my bumper pull equipment trailer and mow really wet CRP ground (lots of marginal wetlands). To combat the size issue, I bought a 1970's (not sure exact year) IH 1086 (with cab) and run an old stalk chopper behind it. But it rides extremely rough, is so heavy that I have sunk it twice up to the axels and the chopper is constantly breaking down. Looking to sell both tractors for a better one. Anyway, I am starting to go down a rabbit hole.

I want one sole tractor to give me the best of both worlds paired with ~10ft rotary mower that will also work with my current snow blower and tiller. I have been looking at Kubota and New Holland as I have extremely close dealers for these brands. Right now, its hard to find anything in stock. I have found (really close) a new New Holland Workmaster 105 with loader and very nice cab that seems to be right up my alley. I am just concerned that this tractor is going to be too big and I will lose some of the usefulness for small yard work (adding rock to landscaping, hauling things between sheds in the bucket etc). The dealer is also asking 58k and while I am willing to spend it, I am thinking this might be overkill for my needs.

ANYWAY, please throw me your suggestions. Without some real world input, I am afraid I won't know of any mistakes I have made until after an expensive purchase.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hello all, I have been lurking these forums for about a year now looking for ideas and previous recommendations on tractors that would similarly fit my acerage/farm. However, I still have yet to come to a decision. Hoping the good folks from tractorforum can help me out.

Here is my background. Tractor needed for small hobby farm. Farm is a total of 480 acres but all reasonable tillable is rented to farmers. I just maintain the marginal ground, pasture (about 25 acres) and CRP. Tractor is needed for the following:
1. Mowing/Tilling/Seeding (maintance) of ~50 Acres of CRP, rarely need to work on all 50 at once. Usually 10-20 acres each year.
2. Tilling (have 7' tiller) and planting food plots amounting to about 7 acres each year.
3. Snow removal, have dual stage snow devil snowblower for yard and partial gravel road.
4. Random FEL work like tree cleanup, landscaping projects..etc.

Right now I have a ~2001 New Holland TC 45, ~45 hp loader tractor. I love this machine but running my 5' mower behind it for CRP is both slow and miserable without a cab. Even with 4wd, it struggles with traction in the winter. I love that it is light so I can haul on my bumper pull equipment trailer and mow really wet CRP ground (lots of marginal wetlands). To combat the size issue, I bought a 1970's (not sure exact year) IH 1086 (with cab) and run an old stalk chopper behind it. But it rides extremely rough, is so heavy that I have sunk it twice up to the axels and the chopper is constantly breaking down. Looking to sell both tractors for a better one. Anyway, I am starting to go down a rabbit hole.

I want one sole tractor to give me the best of both worlds paired with ~10ft rotary mower that will also work with my current snow blower and tiller. I have been looking at Kubota and New Holland as I have extremely close dealers for these brands. Right now, its hard to find anything in stock. I have found (really close) a new New Holland Workmaster 105 with loader and very nice cab that seems to be right up my alley. I am just concerned that this tractor is going to be too big and I will lose some of the usefulness for small yard work (adding rock to landscaping, hauling things between sheds in the bucket etc). The dealer is also asking 58k and while I am willing to spend it, I am thinking this might be overkill for my needs.

ANYWAY, please throw me your suggestions. Without some real world input, I am afraid I won't know of any mistakes I have made until after an expensive purchase.
Your location would help greatly to help determine the region of weather and the various brands in your part of the country.

I do like the ability to be small, yet plenty of power like a 40hp to 5ohp machine. Diesel in the 35Hp to the 45Hp would make up what a higher gasser Hp tractor would do.

CT2040 Compact Tractor + Cab
CT2040 Compact Tractor - Bobcat Company

RK37 with Cab and loader
Tractors | RK37 Series Tractor | RK Tractors

RK55 with Cab and loader
Tractors | RK55 Series Tractor | RK Tractors

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Why I have 2 tractors instead of one. At my age switching implements, especially the big driven ones, is a PITA so I have 2 tractors the same, a pair of 90 horsepower Kubota's. One just runs the batwing shredder and the hay rake, the other runs the discbine and the round bailer. Both have loaders, both are SSQA and both have plenty of lift capacity (2500 pounds at the pivot point) My wife wasn't too happy when I bought the second one but now she fully understands my reasoning.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am not sure that you are going to be able to get the "best of both worlds" that you are looking for in one tractor.....Any tractor that is 100 or more horse is going to be a heavy tractor that is going to sink a lot more in wet ground then a smaller lighter tractor even if it is 4 wheel drive and even with duals on it. Also, a 100 horse or larger tractor is going to be a much larger frame then your 45 horse tractor so you will loose most if not all of the usefulness for small jobs or jobs in tighter spaces.

If you currently have a 45 horse tractor and are only pulling a 5 foot bush hog behind it, it should not be slow.....The rule of thumb is 1 foot of bush hog for every 5 horse power of tractor so you have way more then enough tractor for that 5 foot cutter.....I use a 35 horse Kioti to pull my 6 foot bush hog for smaller areas and I have no problem with speed or the tractor bogging down no matter what I am mowing.......

I would take a long hard look and see if you really have the need for a tractor above 50 or so horse power....We have about 80 acres of pasture and hay fields and about the only thing that I use the 100 plus horse tractor that I have is for my round baler and pulling out one of my smaller tractors when I have a stupid attack and get them stuck very deep....

I have a Kioti CS3510 with a FEL that I use for most if not all smaller work, a Massey Ferguson 2606, and John Deere 2010 and 4020 Diesel.....

We have horses, cattle and sheep and like I said, the tractor that I use the most on the farm is the Kioti 35 horse. It is small enough to get into places but has enough power to do a lot.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your location would help greatly to help determine the region of weather and the various brands in your part of the country.

I do like the ability to be small, yet plenty of power like a 40hp to 5ohp machine. Diesel in the 35Hp to the 45Hp would make up what a higher gasser Hp tractor would do.

CT2040 Compact Tractor + Cab
CT2040 Compact Tractor - Bobcat Company

RK37 with Cab and loader
Tractors | RK37 Series Tractor | RK Tractors

RK55 with Cab and loader
Tractors | RK55 Series Tractor | RK Tractors
Sure, I am in Southwestern Minnesota. So I see a fair amount of snow in the winters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure that you are going to be able to get the "best of both worlds" that you are looking for in one tractor.....Any tractor that is 100 or more horse is going to be a heavy tractor that is going to sink a lot more in wet ground then a smaller lighter tractor even if it is 4 wheel drive and even with duals on it. Also, a 100 horse or larger tractor is going to be a much larger frame then your 45 horse tractor so you will loose most if not all of the usefulness for small jobs or jobs in tighter spaces.

If you currently have a 45 horse tractor and are only pulling a 5 foot bush hog behind it, it should not be slow.....The rule of thumb is 1 foot of bush hog for every 5 horse power of tractor so you have way more then enough tractor for that 5 foot cutter.....I use a 35 horse Kioti to pull my 6 foot bush hog for smaller areas and I have no problem with speed or the tractor bogging down no matter what I am mowing.......

I would take a long hard look and see if you really have the need for a tractor above 50 or so horse power....We have about 80 acres of pasture and hay fields and about the only thing that I use the 100 plus horse tractor that I have is for my round baler and pulling out one of my smaller tractors when I have a stupid attack and get them stuck very deep....

I have a Kioti CS3510 with a FEL that I use for most if not all smaller work, a Massey Ferguson 2606, and John Deere 2010 and 4020 Diesel.....

We have horses, cattle and sheep and like I said, the tractor that I use the most on the farm is the Kioti 35 horse. It is small enough to get into places but has enough power to do a lot.....
I am wondering that too. The workmaster 105, really is a smaller frame than I expected, but with the weight, I am going to be chewing up lawns and will be worrying about wetter conditions. It is still about 4k lighter than the 1086 (I think) but still pretty heavy.

Regarding my current setup, I can go at a fairly decent clip, but the 5ft wide with overlap just seems to take forever. When making that many rounds, I sometimes have issues with pollen or debris clogging up my radiator. Guessing all tractors will have that to some degree. Ideally a Tractor with an FEL, Cab and ability to pull a decent sized rotary mower would be the best all around. I am just not wanting to get stuck with something too small that always has me wishing for more.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am wondering that too. The workmaster 105, really is a smaller frame than I expected, but with the weight, I am going to be chewing up lawns and will be worrying about wetter conditions. It is still about 4k lighter than the 1086 (I think) but still pretty heavy.

Regarding my current setup, I can go at a fairly decent clip, but the 5ft wide with overlap just seems to take forever. When making that many rounds, I sometimes have issues with pollen or debris clogging up my radiator. Guessing all tractors will have that to some degree. Ideally a Tractor with an FEL, Cab and ability to pull a decent sized rotary mower would be the best all around. I am just not wanting to get stuck with something too small that always has me wishing for more.

That is what I was getting at, get a 7 or so foot bush hog and a 50 or so horse tractor and keep the big IH incase you need it........

You looking at new or used for the 45 horse replacement?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is what I was getting at, get a 7 or so foot bush hog and a 50 or so horse tractor and keep the big IH incase you need it........

Looking at both Used and New. Budget was much larger when replacing both 45hp and 1086. However, if I keep 1086, then it goes down a bit. Looking to up my speed and comfort essentially. The 1086 really is a nice tractor but A/C isn't working and it probably won't. Would like to avoid owning two mowers for each, but that all depends on what this next tractor is gonna cost me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Also, I really do like the Hydrostatic transmission for my general loader work. I can be so much more precise with it. Its been a nice unit that I got an absolute stellar deal on it. Just wish it had a cab.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have checked tractor house. Some units their but none that fit the bill that I can really see in a reasonable distance. Really I do have a decent selection of dealers, John Deere, Case, general implement lots but most are out of tractors in this range of compact/utility. I looked at a Kubota L6060 with loader and they wanted 56k for the unit. For that money, I would just buy the 105hp NH to be honest. Hoping to find something in the 30-40k range.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have checked tractor house. Some units their but none that fit the bill that I can really see in a reasonable distance. Really I do have a decent selection of dealers, John Deere, Case, general implement lots but most are out of tractors in this range of compact/utility. I looked at a Kubota L6060 with loader and they wanted 56k for the unit. For that money, I would just buy the 105hp NH to be honest. Hoping to find something in the 30-40k range.

So then the main reason that you are looking to get rid of your TC 45 is no cab?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So then the main reason that you are looking to get rid of your TC 45 is no cab?
No cab, and just was concerned of its abilities. Still worried that a 7ft mower is too small but maybe that is unrealistic. There is hopes in the future to put more ground into CRP (I love to hunt and manage wildlife areas) so I don't want to outgrow the unit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
For starters, I would sell the 5 foot and buy a 7 foot and see how that works out.......Very cheap and easy attempt to solve the problem.....Right now is not a good time to be buying a new or newer model tractor...........Inventory is low and prices are way up..........

·
348 Posts
I'm surprised that your 1086 seems so heavy and rough riding.
Are the tires loaded and what pressure do you have in the rears.
With no iron bolted on and air only in the tires you should be under 12000#,
you could run duals or a wider tire.
That tractor should just purr like a kitten even with 15' brushhog behind it.
The AC can be easily worked on there are many kits out there with all the parts available to completely rebuild it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My Ford 4000 was rated 52 hp by old school rules - at the PTO.
It would be rated somewhere around 63 hp if you used the modern system of rating it at the flywheel.
I'm guessing with loaded rear tires it weighs in the neighborhood of 5000+ lbs.
It handles a Heavy. (1300 lb) 6' Bush Hog brand rotary mower fine. But a comparable 7' mower would be a lot to ask of it.
To run a 10' rotary mower I would not even Think of having less than 90 or 100 flywheel hp in a tractor weighing less than 8000 lbs. Less than that and the mower starts to wag the dog.
I don't know much at all about newer tractors and can't recommend a brand. But I don't think you're going to want a CUT. You need a Real tractor.
As said, maybe you need 2 tractors. One for real work and one for putzing around.
By the way, I like your forum name. 24 days till the rifle opener here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts