Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading somewhere about this and now I can't relocate it. Anyway, my local hyd' tech' had told me it really didn't matter if it was hyd' oil or motor oil, but the weight of the oil is what mattered...of course not mixing the two. However, an article I was reading said in fact there was a big difference...and there were some certain brands that were the best for the system.

That got me to thinking as I like to give my equipment as good of care as I can. I know that both have 10-40 motor oil in hyd' system now, as was the case when I bought them. It seems to be working fine.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I use the John Deere HyGard regualar viscosity as that is what the owner's manual calls for as per the temperature condition use chart. In my opinion, it is usually best to use what your owner's manual calls for.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
In my manual it says to use 5W50 synthetic motor oil for the Hydro.
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
In the case Ingersoll tractors do NOT use normal hydro oil. They spec 20w40 motor oil for the stystem. Now that is REAL hard to find, and the next best thing is 15w40. I have had the best luck with Shell Rotella 15w40.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Oh BTW. Some will say to use a thinner oil in the winter. Well, I have had real good luck sticking with the thick oil, just after I start it, put the trans, in nutrul, and move the travel lever, and let it freewheel a bit. Warms it right up.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
This still belongs over in the Petroleum, Oils, Lubricants, Additives, and Chemicals section. :fineprint ;) :D :tractorsm :spinsmile

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
This still belongs over in the Petroleum, Oils, Lubricants, Additives, and Chemicals section. :fineprint ;) :D :tractorsm :spinsmile
I don;t know if that would be the best. The Case//Ingersoll's are kind of a diferent anamal when it comes to the hydro system. With out seeing the heading of "Ingersoll", or not know that Ropari has bolth Cases, and Ingersoll's, people wold not know what tractors we are talking about. I would HATE to see people listen to me and take my advice and put motor oil in the hydro sistem of there JD, or Simp, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts