Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hand tools: Craftsman

Power tools: Skil, Makitia, Ryobi, Porter Cable

I mostly have Craftsman tools. Good return policy. Have held up well, but I don't use them for a living like some of you guys do.

My power tools are a real hodgepodge of stuff. Would have been all Milwaukee if I had more money all these years.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Tools

Hand tools: Craftsman for the stuff I use a lot...cheap stuff from China for infrequent use.

Power tools: Ryobi, Porter Cable, Dewault and Milwaukee

Air Tools: Porter Cable. Don't have much experience here though.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well i Have Craftsman, Snap-on, and Mac tools and a few cheap-o's. My power tools are Craftsman, Black and Decker professional and Makitia. I like them all I'm not picky:winky:
Jody

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Hand tools - Cornwell, Vanadium, Mac (Man this will date me)

Power Tools - Makita, Porter Cable (I used to frame for a living and for my money, the Makita circular saw is top notch, followed by Hitachi. They are both relatively light weight and have plenty of power for day in day out use.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by jodyand
Well i Have Craftsman, Snap-on, and Mac tools and a few cheap-o's. My power tools are Craftsman, Black and Decker professional and Makitia. I like them all I'm not picky:winky:
Jody
Same here, Jody. A lot of it comes down to best price per quality ratio. And a lot of times (for me), price is the big factor. Have a couple of Husky torque wrenches. Sure would have liked to have bought Snap-ons. I'm sure the Snap-ons are more accurate, and will hold their calibration better, but I just didn't want to to spend the bucks at that time. I doubt if I'll wear out the Husky's any time soon.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
MowHoward yes the snap-on and mac tools are nice but i like my Craftsman tools better just for the fact that i don't work in a shop anymore where the snap-on and mac tool guys come around. Sears isn't that far and to return a tool thats broke is easy at sears. I have a few snap-on tools that are broke and to find a snap-on man to replace it is near impossible. The two that i have seen and stop wouldn't do it cause i didn't buy it from them so much for life time warranty's. So from now on it Craftsman tools for me cause snap-on and mac tools are just to expense not to be able to get them replaced.nodeal
Jody

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for pointing out another "cost" of the premium tools. Sears sure does make it easy for returns. Never have had a problem, and don't know of anybody that has with Sears replacement returns. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Craftsman tools are great and sears is great to do business with!! no problem with returns, no questions asked, if it's broke, they replace it!! How can you do better than that?

Here in Canada, Canadian tire is a good place also, they sell Mastercraft brand, good quality nad guarenteed like crafstman. They are easy to get along with too on warenty. I like their "pro" line, they look and feel like snap-on. Nice round handles on the ratchets, and nice slim wrenches, good for tight spaces.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Is MATCO still in business? I still have nearly all of my John Deere tools from when I was mechanicing at the John Deere dealer many moons ago. They were very good qualith and have held up very good over the more than 20 years I have had them.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I use mainly Craftsman hand tools. Seems to be about the only place around here to find the "Made in U.S.A." stamp. I have a Dewalt battery drill that I really like along with an assortment of old Black & Decker and Craftsman power tools.

Mark

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yes Chief, Matco is still around as all of my hand tools are Matco and thats all I will use. I bought alot of my tools when I was still in the Air Force appox $9,000 in 1980 dollars. My chest is over 6' long and 5 ' tall and my top box is another 4 feet on top of that. BTW The dealer I deal with honors the warranty on my tools that I bought in the Air Force when I was stationed in Maine. Today I live in Washington State and these tools are still paying me every time I use em.
For power tools C.P. and now Stilh I guess I have to have the best, I never cared for the feel of Craftsman and I do have a small kits with Craftsman that I carrry in both my cars I drive on a daily basis and then for the pickups I have a small kit of Matco tools in them. cruisin

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Most of mine are Chraftsman. Just easyer to get and return. I also have some snapon, Mac, and matco, but for the most part they are just to pricy for me. I have no problem returning any though, one good thing about working at a auto dealer.

Power tools, boy I have just about any brands. Most seem to be Chraftsman though. Just easyer to find, and OK quality.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I remember looking forward for that MATCO truck to show up once each week. Their tools are every bit as good as Snap On or MAC and at least back then their prices were better too.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yes MATCO is still around( I'm a distributor). We have been gaining more and more ground in most parts of the country. As far as quality,it's top notch. Snap-on is a more popular brand but they have been copying many of our tools lately.
As far as warranty, I'll change anything for anybody, even off the street. Unless of course they are a deadbeat giving me a hard time with collections. The reason most distributors don't like to warranty tools is it costs us money. First your giving away your inventory to those who may or may not be a customer. Then you can't send back one tool at a time so it sits around adding up. Then when you do send it in you may or may not get a credit. The tool may be determined to have been abused, so if you gave out a new one too bad. This might be ok with good customers that you can recover some money on future purchases, but with strangers who never bought it from you in the first place, it can be annoying. The second issue is that we have to maintain a certain purchase average based on a national average, when you send in warranty it comes right out of your average, so you need to spend that same money again to stay up on things.
One more thing, if you want to see your local mobile tool guy, just make sure you always owe him, he'll find you!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention. If anyone has any MATCO tools needing warranty, you can call the company direct at 1800 433-7098 x1 customer service. Just request a distributor in your area and they will put you in touch with him(some don't like to respond out of fear of being robbed). If there isn't a distributor in your area, ask to send the tool in for warranty exchange. They should give you info on how to. Another option for purchasing tools is www.matcotools.com where you can buy tools and return in 30days for a full refund if not satisfied, even electronics such as scan tools(which distributors can't even return)

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
hand tools & Air tools, sockets, table saw Craftsman

Air tools, compressor, wrench, socket ect. Cambell hausfeld (made in USA version)

power Wood tools: Sander; hand, belt, palm/joiner, jigsaw Porter Cable, drill & router; makita

Chainsaw: Husky

personally i try to get made in US whenever possible... not completly sure that they are the best quality.. but id rather see the $$$ going to us, then overseas...

I still keep a set of crappy tools out in the shed...

·
Registered
67 Posts
hand tools- craftsman, klein, snap-on, (old) huskey, chanel lock

power tools- craftsman, millwakee, porter cable, (old)skill, b-d pro

air tools- cambell hausfel, snap-on, misc.

lawn tools- craftsman, gravely, giant-vac, little wonder, husqvarna, homelite, snapper, misc.

snow tools- craftsman, gravely, ariens, k-mart shovels

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
l word of the wises try to advoid el-cheapo l bought a set of wrenches cracked my knuckle it didn't help the nuts was Rusty

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hand tools: Snap-on, Mac (old), Crescent, Klein, Vice-Grip. Have some Craftsman but I've had some trouble with some of their tools that have moving parts (their pliers stink and they replace them with more pliers that stink. jaws misaligned, etc) but their wrenches and sockets are OK.

Power tools: P-C, Bosch, Dewalt, Milwaukee.

·
Registered
518 Posts
hand tools mostly craftsman some snap mac on n blue points i was given or picked up at auction n proto an some cheapys but work good too

power tools craftsmen n blk n decker battery op

1 - 20 of 27 Posts