1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

What is "Case-O-Matic

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by synway, Jun 1, 2008.

1. synway

synway New Member

May 27, 2008
    Wow... I am new to tractor power ownership, and my first tractor this guy got is a 410B case tractor...
    Know I had powerwashed the dirty thing down and installed a loader frame with a blade on the front to move snow in the winter. ( have heart issues and can't bare to watch my wife snow float our drive so she can work on her clients, nuff said)
    Idealy a 4x4 tractor with a loader is in our future ( I'm an opperator more than a mechanic)
    Know I'm running this case and snow plow hopefully successfully for winter 2008/09.
    New to tractors of any year this old girl seems like a real beauty .
    Now I changed the oil and I think I need to remove the oil pan to clean out sludge hopefully before winter.
    The loader frame was originally yellow then painted green and the cylinders are single action and old, I replaced the seales and stoped the leaks from the cylinders.
    I noticed the oil kinda black (Hydralic oil). so I guess I should change the Hydralic oil.
    Is this the oil that is in the case-o matic part of things? Yes I'm that green.:alien:
    Do I change the torque tube oil? is that where the hydralic oil is.
    Is there any links that could help me learn what I have? :truth:

2. synway

synway New Member

May 27, 2008
    would I use a TDH fluid? or a straight hydraulic fluid?

3. caseman-d

caseman-d Lifetime Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Hydraulics, transmission, and torque convertor shouls have seperate reserviors. You should use type A or Dextron automatic oil in case-matic. You can use TDH if you wish, it should be a good grade of hydraulic oil. If you wish and want to just keep one oil I would go with either Hytran or dextron automatic oil.

Case o matic is suppose to work just like a automatic trany in a car. Oil should be very clean, filter cleaned, and at correct level. Very good trany if taken good care of.
    caseman-d

4. synway

synway New Member

May 27, 2008
    Thanks caseman-d.
    So the Torque tube is a reservoir of oil and it also houses the torque converter and range housing and each of those components have each their own oils?
    To lift the blade on the front I am using one of the levers on the right side of the seat, when the cylinder on the loader arms was leaking I filled the reservoir at the range lever through the breather vent.There is a dip stick there and should be checked warm and at low Idle.... Then there is the motor oil and dip stick for that.
    Is there another place for oil ? Am I clear as mud in what I am asking?
    Where does the oil that lifts the loader with the hydraulic cylinder come from when you don't have an external hydralic pump? go slow turtle

5. caseman-d

caseman-d Lifetime Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Thought I had answered your questions last time I was visiting the site. Thinking about it I was having problems with internet service. You have already figured thing s out. Just in case, the hydraulic has own reservior, rear end and trany one, and the the torque convertor has it's own.
    caseman-d

6. Remick

Remick New Member

May 22, 2015
    Hello i am new at forum , have a case 530 CK and trying to figure out why case o matic drive is not working properly.

7. HarveyW

HarveyW Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Hello Remick,

Welcome aboard the tractor forum.

You need to get a service/repair manual for your tractor. There is an I&T shop manual (about 100 pages) on ebay for a Case 530....$42.

There is also a service manual for a Case 530C on CD for $12. This covers a lot more detail, but you have to print out what you want to have a hard copy.

Manuals will give you troubleshooting sections for each major category. Hopefully leading you to a solution to your problem.