Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first 12 years of my life I grew up in Dallas Texas, but in the area where I lived a Cattle Ranch and several small farms still dotted the community. On some weekend in my youth, my father on Saturday mornings very early would take me to my Grand Father Graham’s Farm just outside of Greenville Texas. We would load up an old 2-ton Studebaker flat bed truck up with just picked green beans, radishes, okra, and what was else was ready to sell. My grandfather’s primary crop was cotton, he would grow the veggies to have a reason to go to Dallas and sell at the Farmer’s Market. This was the only places outside of church to see and talk to other area farmers.

The Dallas Farmer Market was on 3 acres in downtown, hundreds of farmers would be there selling and thousands were down there buying. It was a very festive atmosphere and the smells of fresh produce lingered in the air on those hot summer days. To this day when I smell fresh peaches in the summer it’s always take my memory back to my youth at the Farmer’s Market.

Went my family moved down to the Central Texas area I was disappointed that there was not a Farmer’s Market like there was in Dallas.

Is there Farmer’s Market in you area?

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
In these parts

The last few years Farmer's markets have made a nice comeback. I go to several with stuff we grow and manage to make a few bucks in the process. We also have a place called the "Springeville Auction" that has been run by the "Gentner family for about 100 years or so. The auction is every wednesday rain or shine, hell or high water. The stuff outside on the hill sells first, then they go inside for animals, eggs, produce, feed and such. It is an absolute auction and highest bidder wins. I have been going to it since I was a kid and the place proves to me that people will buy anything. Anyone that has anything to sell can bring it to the auction and I do take advantage. The great thing is from week to week you never know what you will find for sale.
They also have vendors and a huge flea maket at the same time. The snack shack was a great cheeseburger and curly fries priced right!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Farmer's Markets

We have a large and growing number of small producers who sell their products primarily through the local Farmer's Markets. We have a weekly one in Tatamagouche on Saturdays, a weekly one in Amherst on Fridays, and one Wednesdays and saturdays in Halifax. Some of the meat producers go to all three.

Lamb, pork, and beef guys all go, as well as meat smokers, sausage producers, etc. We have found salad and meat producers for the restaurant through the markets.

The other thing is we are finding that tourists want to see this stuff going on. Markets are popular, as are places they can see sausage being made.................

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
We have a "permanent" market at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. They have many vendors that sign long term leases and others that sign shorter booth rents.

There are a lot of local farmer's markets around the area during the Spring/Fall time. Fruits, vegetables, crafts of all kinds. We also have several organic farms around us that you can also buy directly from.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:smoking:

I used to go to the Pikes-Place market a lot in the late 50s & early 60s. Brings back memories of seeing fish tossed around and then wrapped in newspapers. The town I live in now has a farmers market in the summertime every wednesday night by blocking off 1 street for a block & also another farmers market in theriver park every saturday morning from 7am-to-1pm. "YUMMY" Fresh vegies & fruit.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by Greg
We have a "permanent" market at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. They have many vendors that sign long term leases and others that sign shorter booth rents.

There are a lot of local farmer's markets around the area during the Spring/Fall time. Fruits, vegetables, crafts of all kinds. We also have several organic farms around us that you can also buy directly from.
I liked the place when I lived there! What do you market and when did you start it, please??
You demand answers form me, I simply am asking one from you, if you choose not to answer my polite question I will give you the benefit of the the doubt!! Will you be so gracious to do the same with me and stop the juvenile rhetoric ???

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
I'd be glad to answer your question, but you need to be more specific. I think you are mistaken that I sell something in the PP Market...??? Sorry, I just go there sometimes.

As far as the rest....bad day at the shop?

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
During the summer months they have a farmers market downtown here in a parking lot on Saturday. There are Amish in the area that also bring homade pie and bread. I would guess they average 30 to 40 venders that draw a good crowd of buyers.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
My town has one during the summer, about once a month or so. Never been there, and its pretty small. I have meen thinking of stopping in, but have not had the chance yet. Maybe next year

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
We have farmers markets in all the coummunities within a 25 mile radius of the house....they seem to be thriving enterprises.. We set up at the one in Gaylord a few years back but pulled out when the market whores kept consistently dropping their prices.

Overall in the state farmers markets are increasing in number and size.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
We have a couple here they do pretty good.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
There's a weekly farmers market in town, and one in many comunities through out New Brunswick. As was mentioned, they're making a comeback, the farmer can get a decent price for his product by cutting out the middle-men, and the customer knows he or she is supporting their commmunity. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Allentown PA has a big farmers' market downtown in Ag Hall. It is a large building and they sell all kinds of produce, eggs, chickens, sausage, baked goods too, I think. They also have a big agricultural fair the week before labor day. There is a livestock auction in Hackettstown NJ each week on I believe Wednesday where they sell cattle, dairy cows, chickens, hogs, piglets, rabbits, goats, sheep, horses, etc. I have personally never been to either, because the money I might save, I'd be spending on gas to get there.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
We have a farmers market on our little town square every Friday,
In the summer of course . Most of what happens here in Harrison Arkansas is (well known ) to be 20 years behind time . Thats why I live here.
also several farmers and family set up small canvas leanto`s at the sale barn.
I know of atleast a half dozen Fruit stands also, Freash local fruit.
Some time it`s like the old days are still here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Farmers Market

We have a pretty good sized one near Mt. Clemens, and a large one in Detroit.

Where I grew up some of the farmers would sell poultry, eggs, and vegetables in season. Used it as a way to supplement income, and I suspect for the social atmosphere.

I think that super markets have pushed many of the open air markets out. People go to super markets, and get what they need cleaned and packaged.

In our markets a lot of the suppliers use it for their main income now. They have truck gardens and sell the stuff in season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts