Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well right now I have flux core wire in my Mig, and wile thats fine for rough stuff, it is realy not that good for sheet steel. Now my welder can also use gas, but I don't know what to get. Any tips for me? Also where do you get it from, and about how much would it cost? I have no tank, so I would need that also BTW.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I forget the name of the gas but you get it from your welding supply. I think its called argon i think.
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Originally posted by jodyand
I forget the name of the gas but you get it from your welding supply. I think its called argon i think.
Jody
may be asedalen it is spelt wrong

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by jodyand
Jody
I had heard about Argon, but someone was saying there were mixes of argon, and maybe co2. Wounder what% would be best?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is an Argon - CO2 mix. I forgot the amount of each, but the gas supply house knows. I go to a place called wounder weld for mine.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
YOu need an Argon / CO2 mix in the ratio of 75% argon and 25% co2 wehich will weld steel as pretty as can be. Once you get to playing with gas you will have a hard time going back to flux core wire. If your welding aluminum you need 100% argon. SOme folks use 100% co2 for steel but the argon /co2 mix is best.

For a tank of 75/25 in the 80 to 85 cubic foot size I pay $15 to $17 a cylinder to have them filled. Straight argon is about $21. Your areas price may differ but it should be close. Normally you will run about 20 to 30 cfh on your flowmeter. Adjust the gas flow so you have little to no brownish colored soot on the edge of the bead. Too much gas and it can lead to embrittlement and it wastes gas. Just enough to produce a nice clean weld is sufficient. The brownish soot is from the co2.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Around here for MIG I use 80/20 mix (80% argon, 20% co2) because it's readily available from any welding shop. I also use .035" L-50 wire (Lincoln), it's a good GP wire for steel, including sheetmetal.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Slip. My welder has a simmler volt/speed chart in the cover, and it has come in handy. Guess I need to call around a check on gas/bottle prices. BTW do you weldors own your own tanks? I know from the past some places will only refill yours, and some will only exchange.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Tank ownership in some areas is pretty grey. From what I have been told tanks in the 80 cf size are usually considered consumer tanks and they are not tracked as to ownership etc. They can generally be exchanaged tank for tank at varous supply houses. Now if you happen to have a larger sized tank, it can present problems. Lots of places used to sell them, and lots of these tanks wound up being stolen, never returned after leases etc, and they moved all over the country in their various owners hands. Say your grandfather had a perfectly set of legitimate tanks he owned and bought outright. You inherited these tanks after 30 years, and take them to get refilled. Some places want a proof of ownership in the form of a bill of sale. Some want an affidavit they are yours and others will take you at your word that they are yours. Around this part of the country anything larger than 80- cf is only rented or leased never sold anymore. If the tank has a raised name or embossed name etc on the collar it may bring doubt, and require a bill of sale. At one time supply houses leased the smaller 80 cf tanks, but here they have stopped doing it and they are considered consumer tanks and no questions asked even if they may have a welding companaies name on the collar. This has proven to be the standard practice with major companaies like Airgas and BOC, but then again independent stores and some franchise operations of ther larger companaies may vary in this policy. I bought a new 80 cf tank from a fellow in need of some quick cash, still full of O2. I swapped it for a mix gas cylinder......but had 2nd thoughts after I bought this tank if it indeed was really the persopns tank that sold it to me to begin with. It was bought out of his truck and he did not live in this area or state, so it could easily have been a stolen tank. My fears were put to rest when they expaianed the consumer sized tanks to me. They have a list of tanks by size, type, owner and serial numbers that are known missing, and a lot of welding companies access this list to check, especially with the larger sized tanks. So before you lay down any money n a tank larger than 80 cf, check with the welding companies in your area about their way of handling these tanks if you were to buy them. Its not uncomon to have larger tanks with a companies name on them, as lots of these companies have gone out of business, and they sold them to customers, or other welding companies. Here most all Capitol Welding Supply marked cylinders aree considered consumer owned as Capitol is defunct. With the exception of the acetylene cylinders which were all sold to another major gas supplier, still marked Capitol, but now belong to Dennis Welding, So there are exceptions.

Its nice to buy a brand new never used tank, and carry it to get refilled and return home with the same. But it then becomes your responsibility to have it recertified when due at yur expense. I am content just to swap like cylinder for like cylinder, and let the expense of recertify fall where ever it falls with whoever happens to have that tank. Just make sure a cylinder is well within its certification period, or return it prior to it going out and you'll never have to pay to have it certified. Personally I do not care what color the tanks are painted as long as they contain what I pay for inside of them. Thats where it counts. Some companies have some pretty gawdy color codes on their tanks, but it sure does not affect the contents. The companay I use right now has a lime green top section of the tank (1/3) , with a orange mid section and a blue bottom portion. Can spot their tanks a mile away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts