Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am going to pull the trigger on getting my Brushcutter.:) :)

I will be heading to Tractor supply soon to pick up a King Cutter 5' brushcutter. At this time, I will be also picking up a overrunning clutch for my 8N. Anything else you think I will need?

I have never had any attackment on my tractor, so I am not sure. I have some clips, and I picked up a top link and pin, so I think I am set. Anything else you can think of? I would like to get it all at once. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Ken N Tx took the words right out of my mouth. Sway bars are a must have unless you like the sideways slop and potential to bend the lift arms.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope no sway bars. All I have is the small chains that go from the PTO area, to the arms. One arm already has a little bend in it, and I have been planing a replacement for that this spring. So I need the sway brackets also then huh?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
You should be able to straighten a bent lift arm, with most any shop press or support it over two pieces of wood and use a sledge. I have straightend a few of them over the years for myself and others....
Lift arms are pretty well one of those items that can be reworked and made like new, and unless its really bent bad and cracked or broke can be fixed.........Same thing for top links...........

Just make sure you get the sway braces on before you use the cutter. Thats a lot of leverage back there and it won't take much to bend the lift arms.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well just got back from TSC with one brandy spanking new KingKutter 5' brush cutter.:D :D :D New toy new toy!!!!!!!!

I will post some more details when I get it together.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
:D New Toy and no pasture grass to cut:furious: , The grass gets over 2 feet high this spring out comes the new toy only problem is waiting 3-4 months :confused: :confused: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lmao:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I may be a bit late on this reply Paul but I would VERY STRONGLY recommend buying a set of safety chain guards for your rotary cutter. King Kutter makes them form TSC and you can call KK directly and order a set or the TSC store can order them for you. The safety chain guards may be a bit pricey but you never know.......the life you save could be your own.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I almost forgot. A spare set of blades and pivot bolts wouldn't be a bad idea just in case you hit something and bend a blade. Also makes for an easy swap out when it comes time to sharpen blades too.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just make sure that when you get off the tractor that the brushhog is DISengaged.
I think i have mentioned on this forum before about a friend whos dad was brushhogging probably about 25 years ago or so. Anyway , something got caught in the brushhog and he got off to see what it was. He left it engaged and when he got off the tractor a fencewire that had got caught in the brushhog wrapped around his legs and pulled his legs under the hog cutting both legs completely off..

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already on the band wagon about the chain guard. I have seen them and I have all the stock, so I will be making a set myself. And I ALWAYS shut the PTO off befor I get off. Eaven with my GT's.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well got the frame all assambled, and got the cutter off the trailer. Here is a picture.....

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts