• Natural Gas

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Liquid Propane

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Electric

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Coal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fuel Oil (oil burner type not portable kero)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Wood

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Kerosene Heaters

• Grains (corn etc)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I have sufficient body fat don;t need any heat!

• Other

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what y'all use for heat in the colder months.
I have total electic heat, but use wood. I even used wood when I lived up north so I am a long time avid user of wood. I run the electric heat for an hour each heating season just to burn off any accumulated lint and dust and just make sure its still working, then its off until the next heating season. Having a wood stove is one way to get my exercise, have free / cheap heat and dispose of a lot of what wood I accumulate.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I use wood primarily but also back it up with kerosene heaters to get things going on cold mornings and use the heat pump when it is not that cold outside but too warm to start a fire in the wood stove.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Gas heating unit gas fireplace and gas water heater:D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have a small air-tight wood stove that heats about 1800 sq ft. I keep the house at 80 degrees all winter and use about 5 cords of wood to do it! Not too bad in the frozen tundra, eh?!:D

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
We're an all electric house. We have an air to air heat-pump that keeps the house at 70F until it gets down into the teens. I have a Franklin wood/coal stove and an electric baseboard unit in the basement to take the chill off. I use the wood stove during the evenings when I'm home and it's in the teens or less to reduce the time the electric elements in the furnace run. I like a wood fire. Nothing like standing next to a wood stove after being wet and cold outside.

Mark

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use a very efficient ground source direct exchange heat pump for heat/A-C/hot water. My living area is a little over 3000 square feet.

Although my 1200 square foot shop is attached to the house, I don't use its' heat for the shop so the dust and dirt are kept out of the house. The shop is heated with an air tight wood stove. A cord of wood should be plenty.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I have two heat pumps one for up 3 ton and a big one 4 ton for down!! Like Chip fire on to clean it then off ... Unless I need to use the Emerg cal rod units!
Primarily use the center fireplace wit built in blowers vents both sides Living room/ kitchen, dining room plus heat rises and the bulk goes upstairs along with a ceiling /floor register to relieve the heat buildup to the upstairs TV/game room!!

The fire box is 3' wide and will last all night with 1/4" steel plate doors!

Dean

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
we have forced hot water usnig oil heat. We put gas stoves on both floors in case we lost power.. (propane) but we sont use them much.. oil is cheaper (or at least it was the last few years)

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Most of our heating is propane, but also heat with wood. Mostly just on the weekends, becouse realy dont have the time to keep the fire going all day. I do try to use no propane on the weekends though to save cash. Also have a little of the "dont need no stinking heat" becouse of a little to much body fat:D But I am working on that.[down 16lbs btw:) :) ]

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
My 840 sq. ft. house is heated with electric baseboard heat, with kerosene backup. When I moved in 12 years ago, electric was expensive, now it is cheap:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our house was built with a propane-fired boiler and hot water baseboards, so that's what we have. On a per-BTU basis oil would be a bit cheaper (at least that's been the case for the last decade or so), but the price difference has never been enough to justify replacing the boiler. We also have a wood stove, and whenever the temp goes into the single digits or below zero, we fire that up. When it's warmer than 10 degrees above zero, I occasionally build a fire in the wood stove. Like Paul, that usually happens only on the weekends. Of course, the boiler uses electric circulator pumps, so whenever the power goes out, the wood stove is our only source of heat.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Hey maybe some smart cookie can find a way to convert some of the hot rhetoric from some of the threads on this forum!

Formula BS->=BTU

:)

Dean

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have natural gas in my house and in my digestive sytem, although the latter is mostly a methane compound. I do have a fieplace in the basement. I do a lot of wood cutting for a friend. He uses wood mostly, but has oil heat that I try to keep supplied with waste jet fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts