Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very good link to an article on the various types of tires and tire filling options with respect to use in puncture prone conditions. It may also provide some good alternate ideas for rear tire ballast requirements as well under some circumstances. Thought I would pass this along and share the wealth.

"What can I do about chronic flat tires?"

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a firewall that blocks pop up adds? Of a pop up blocker. The link works for me but I have all of my pop up stuff turned down to minimum.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Worked for me, and we have a pretty big firewall here at work.......Shhhhhh the man is listening!

Thanks for the link Chief!:D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Interesting article in that it mentions used aircraft tires......for years I used nose gear tires from the old F-4 Phantoms, on a few of my utility trailers around the place. Used to haul some pretty decent loads as well, and since I always backed those trailers into the woods where I cut trees at, and having a heap of mock orange trees as well as locust trees, flats used to be a big problem, until I went to those aircraft tires. Best part was even if they were flat you never knew it as they had a heap of plies, and on one trailer the tires were never inflated to begin with. Due to the amount of plies in sidewall and tread mounting them on a one piece wheel may prove to be a impossible job, so split or two piece wheels are almost a must.

Of course you can always do what I did as a kid when I was given an old old car, a Star........had wood spoked wheels and 4 or 5 " x 38" tires IIRC. could not afford new tires for it, so I filled the tires with sand.......worked fine as a bush car. Outran many a police car when swimming at the local resivoir where no tresspassing was a biggie. They had a pipe across the breast of this dam, and big boulders on each side, so the average vehicle could not negotiate around. I could manuver on these boulders and drive on the breast to the other side where there was a series of stone steps leading down to the resivoir and a water fall for a spillway. The cops would come, open up the lock on the gate and come speeding across the breast, and we would pile in the car and drive down the dams breast over rocks etc without a problem, hit the lower road and be gone before they could backtrack and catch us........of course everyone knew who had this old car, and nothing ever came of it, and was more a show of authority than looking to throw us in parole school (what we used to call juvenile detention back then)

The local sanitation department in MOntgomery uses nothing but the foam filled tires in all their vehicles that utilize the landfill, including those that pickup garbage in town. So does a lot of the other municipal vehicles that are usually operated at lower speeds on city streets. City cut its tire shop by over 60% of employees by switching to foam filled tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts