Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick up a 2,500 lb. pallet of 19-19-19 today. That is 50 50lb. bags for $387.50. Lime I got for $1.99 a 50 lb. bag. Amonium Nitrate seems higher this year too; $9 a 50 lb. bag. I just got 9 bags of 34-0-0. The wife wanted a big garden this year and wanted an early start so I am on it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aren't any of you guys prepping for Spring and fertilizing and getting the garden soil fertilizers tilled in yet? Might be a bit soon for the folks up North.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Well with temperatures up to 60F, I thought about tilling until I tapped my foot in the soil and it went squish. The grass is still brown and also makes the squishy sound when you walk on it. The one year I made an early start, I ended up brushing the snow off my plants on Easter Sunday. Getting an early start in my experience tends to guarantee an extended winter. :lmao:

Mark

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can certain understand that! :D Been there and done that a time or two also. You can still get your lime and fertilizer down while the ground is wet and run a core aerator over the turf before hand if you can get your hands on one.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
I am going to pick up a 2,500 lb. pallet of 19-19-19 today. That is 50 50lb. bags for $387.50. Lime I got for $1.99 a 50 lb. bag. Amonium Nitrate seems higher this year too; $9 a 50 lb. bag. I just got 9 bags of 34-0-0. The wife wanted a big garden this year and wanted an early start so I am on it. :thumbsup:
Well, I don't use cem's myself. But what I do is go to the feed store, and get what I can the cheapest. So many of the feeds mak AWSOME ferts. Last year I picked up alfala meal, for $5 for 50lbs. Someone orderd a few bags, and never picked them up. They just wanted to get rid of them. Will do the same this year. Alfala meal, or pellits, cotton sead meal, corn meal, all make a great fert, AND the kids can help put it down.:)

As for WHEN I can put it down? Well, I got a LOT of time yet. JUST having our first winter melt. Then when winters done, we have mud season. Best I can hope for is the begening of May to START working out side.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Ammonium nitrate is $5.00 a 50# bag in quanities less than a 40 bag pallet at the local feed mill. Triple 8 or 13 is about 6 bucks a bag in small quanities.

About the only fertilizers I use any more is a few bags of triple 8 or 13 in and around odds and ends and usually apply ammonium nitrate around my corn once its up and going, and sometimes on my field. I am not counting any special blends of fertilizer the wife may buy for her roses and other plants which would be small bags anyhow, or the fertilizer I usually use every couple of years on my centipede grass lawn.

Our temps have been in the mid to upper 70's since the past weekend, and yesterday it hit 81 deg here. The garden is all tilled up and ready to plant, with this weekend hopefully being the day I plant it.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
not to sound like too much of a a nutty cruchy granola guy.. But I use corn gluten meal for fertilizer.. mostly because i have a pond and figure id rather use something natural that wont kill or harm the fish..
given the choice id rather not use the chemicals..
although come spring, when im pulling zillions of daisys.. i wish id have used some 'weed N feed'

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Same page as you SJ. My wife says about me "He's not a tree hugger, but dam close":D :D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not to step on any toes, but prepared fertilizers are not chemical, but mineral. The different ingredients are mined from the ground. Potash for one.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what you guys are concerned about with bag fertilizer. We have used it in the past to get newly built ponds to start growing algae. Too much of any type of plant nutrient is bad for the pond. Corn gluten meal or any others included. Anhydrous ammonia is a totally different animal. As long as you have reparian filter strips around streams and bodies of water, you should be fine with reasonable application of fertilizers.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I am mostly referring to scotts weed 'n feed it says to keep it away from any ponds because it would harm the fish...

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't use weed n feed since I have zoysia grass. It does not react well to it. I spot spray with weed be gone and am obsessive compulsive with a screw driver at pulling up Dandy Lions. ;) :D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
I don't use weed n feed since I have zoysia grass. It does not react well to it. I spot spray with weed be gone and am obsessive compulsive with a screw driver at pulling up Dandy Lions. ;) :D
not to hijack this thread... but speaking of dandy lions.. i got a dandylion puller from home depot last year... it really works well.. its about 2-3 feet tall and you push it into the ground and it deroots the weed. it pulls the roots of the dandilion and you dont need to bend down.. saves the back...

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you post a link? Don't think I have seen one of those but it sure would be a welcome addition. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks SJ! Do they work well in hard rocky soil? I like the "Poop Hound" got a good chuckle out of that one. :D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
actually it worked better than i expected.. i think it cost around 17-20$ at home depot.. i was looking at hundreds of dandelions and thought id give it a try..
as for hard soil.. you probably just need to stomp it into the ground a little harder...

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
If you put weed killer on the dandelions you can't use them in a salad! Anyone on here ever eat dandelion leafs in a salad?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
not me chip but lots of folks up here do...
not sure how they would taste is doused with weed b gone.. :dazed:

probably not too good...

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Isn't roundup just a heavy concentrate saline solution just taste a little salty:furious:
Jody

1 - 20 of 24 Posts