Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local dealer last week to buy a few parts for a tractor, and during our discussion I said..... the tractor wasn't old, it was around an 83 or 84 model. He replyed. That is OLD.

What year or age does anyone here think a tractor is old?
When the warranty runs out?

:fineprint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
:dazed:

Well My guess is that any tractor with Rusty_Nuts would be considered old.

"Gulp", Sorry Rusty, I just could not resist.

NANA
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Old?

I consider my tractors as vintage not old.Like fine wine they get better and better with age.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,124 Posts
I guess it depends a lot on your frame of reference. If you are in your 60s, a 25 year old machine is not old. If you are in your 20s, a 25 year old machine is probably ancient. I remember President Johnson, Nixon, Ford, etc. To my daughter, they are just people in her history book. I'm 47 years old so to me, any tractor older than me is old. I think it also depends on the persons knowlege and familiarity with various tractors. If a fella never drove one as a kid and has no personal history with tractors until he bought his first "Box Store Special" 5 years ago, he probably thinks that his is old. After all, he probably trades his car in every 3 years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
American Way

I live in a 200 year old house,have a 50 year old wife,have tractors 3-60 years old, drive a 20 year old truck,and take a bath in a 70 year old tub.I should do my part as a good American and throw it all out and get new stuff .It is people like me that slow the economy down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,124 Posts
slipshod,
You have one of those old claw foot bathtubs that can hold more than 2" of water? I love those! We had one in our house when I was a kid, you could fill it up with hot water and soak the aches right out of those tired muscles. Hard to do that in today's plastic mini tubs.:shower:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
For What it Cost to Redo

I could have bought two fiberglass tubs. The diverter valve,faucets, and shower asembly along was $700.00 To get the porcellin refurbished I spent $900.00.Exposed overflow and drain assembly was $100.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by johnbron
:dazed:

Well My guess is that any tractor with Rusty_Nuts would be considered old.

"Gulp", Sorry Rusty, I just could not resist.

NANA
HA HA, yep I like it. HA HA :thumbsup: Of corse sometimes these things happen when you get up there in age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by bontai Joe
I guess it depends a lot on your frame of reference. If you are in your 60s, a 25 year old machine is not old. If you are in your 20s, a 25 year old machine is probably ancient. I remember President Johnson, Nixon, Ford, etc. To my daughter, they are just people in her history book. I'm 47 years old so to me, any tractor older than me is old. I think it also depends on the persons knowlege and familiarity with various tractors. If a fella never drove one as a kid and has no personal history with tractors until he bought his first "Box Store Special" 5 years ago, he probably thinks that his is old. After all, he probably trades his car in every 3 years.
HUM very good point. Too my kids my 80's tractors are old, but to me it needs to be in the 60's at least.

Am I giving away my age here???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,173 Posts
not to sound like my parents.. but "they just dont make them like they used to"

stuff made way back when was made to last.. nowadays we live in a throw away society.. VCR breaks.. pitch it.. pc dies, get a new one... cars getting old.. get a new one... maybe that logic is being translated to tractors?

You hear the L bashers saying they are 5 year tractors.. that is not acceptable.. so how old is old? no idea, but if it runs, and does a good job.. its not too old..

I'd still have my toro 266H but i had problems with the recycler deck.. It left a strip behind it... i had the thing serviced about 5 times and finally said the hell with it.. . Now besides for the cutting, my toro was great... I was sort of looking for an excuse to get bigger ride, plus my yard grew and i wanted to snowblow.. so i got the prestige.

i hope to have this tractor for a while... hopefully in 4 years i wont get that '5 year new tractor itch'

damn.. in 4 years i may still be paying for it...


sj
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,693 Posts
I would say anything before the mid 80's is getting pretty old. Not that old is a bad thing. My newest tractor is a 87, and my oldest is a '44, so I am not saying anything bad about them.
 

·
EX Super Mod
Joined
·
5,317 Posts
Well my Snapper is 32 years old and i think it old it still cuts and look good for it age. It dont look nothing like the new ones so it stands out in the crowed but thats what i like it to do stand out.
Jody
 

·
Tractor Lover
Joined
·
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by jodyand
Well my Snapper is 32 years old and i think it old it still cuts and look good for it age. It dont look nothing like the new ones so it stands out in the crowed but thats what i like it to do stand out.
Jody
:smiles: And Jody bought it new when he was a middle aged man.:smiles: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 

·
Tractor Lover
Joined
·
4,461 Posts
Re: American Way

Originally posted by slipshod
I live in a 200 year old house,have a 50 year old wife,have tractors 3-60 years old, drive a 20 year old truck,and take a bath in a 70 year old tub.I should do my part as a good American and throw it all out and get new stuff .It is people like me that slow the economy down.
True words slip, doze it and build new.:smiles:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by jodyand
Well my Snapper is 32 years old and i think it old it still cuts and look good for it age. It dont look nothing like the new ones so it stands out in the crowed but thats what i like it to do stand out.
Jody

Maybe it is the "LOOK" of the tractor as Jody says, that people would consider it old.
My '67 looks old not because of rust but because it has that half moon steering wheel, long skinny hood, PTO shaft sticking out of the front grill, and best of all NO PLACE TO REST YOUR FEET !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
ingersoll mid 80's that makes my entire farm old the newest tractor is a 83. could i call it a working museum and charge admission?
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top