Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ivan is long gone, and most p[hysical signs of him being on my place is gone, but now some of his evil handiwork has started to rear their ugly heads........Some of my fish in my pond started to get pretty darn bad looking, looking like they made it about half way thorugh a meat grinder....calling the country extension agent was about like selling seashells by the seashore. Any way I finally got i contact with the fisheries biology dept. at Auburn University as well as the same dept at Univ of Florida........Had to catch a few of my prized Koi and offer them up as a sacrifice but cultures run revealed a bad fungal infection that seemed to crop oout of the massive amounts of water that Ivan brought with him. Both universities have told me that I am far from being alone and that they have been kept constantly busy with problems such as this since Ivan came ashore.........Anyway I am now doseing my fish with a medicated feed made with antibiotics, kinda pricey, but what are you gonna do.....I have lost quite a few as well, and not counting the bass, bream and catfish, the amount I lost is pretty substantial.......Part of the perscription to clean up the pond of any and all pathogens and other bad critters involved doseing it with potassium permanganate.......a big time powerfull oxidizer......So off to buy this stuff..........wow, a 2 ounce bottle of this stuff costs $19.95 and I am gonna need 19.5# x 2 for initial and follow up dose......so my way of thinking is it would be cheaper to hire a bulldozer and fill the pond in...........Lots more hunting for cheaper price and larger quantity lead me to a chemical supply ouse in Birmingham.........their reply was yep we have it, packed in 55# pound containers.......and it costs .39 cents a pound, but minimum is a full container......great, thats cheap enough.
So off to Bham I go to get it....only to get redlined on purchase of the stuff as its a highly controlled EPA / DEA chemical, and you need to have proper papers in place to buy and use any quanity over 1 pound...........I asked who else they sell it to hopeing I could by some from them, and was told they are not allowed to release names of companies that purchase and store / use such products..........wow, there it sets cheap as dirt but no way to buy it. So to make this rant shorter, I had to submit paper work, through the DEA to get certified to purchase this stuff, and while I was at it went for the entire ball of string, as you never know what you may need down the road. Fine paper work in hand, off I go to buy my PP, only to be told they only sell to business, no personal use sales..........so off I go to apply for a business license, get a tax number, and all the other related odds ad ends needed to be a legit business in Alabama and meet the requrements. So now I am a legit authorized business, but not ever gonna sell anything, but I can now buy all those neat nifty chemicals I have always liked to play with:D

I think I filled out more paperwork and signed my name to more forms and papers than I did in my entire life in the military...........talk about red tape.........and I can't possibly see how any organization could ever keep track of it all... So now I have my potassium Permanganate, made a resivoir to mix and transport the stuff when mixed and setup a pump to spray the pond with, which I hope to do first thing tomorrow morning. This chemical will oxidize everything in the water, but as long as your PPM is dead on, will not harm fish or plants, but will vaporize all one celled critters, fungus, bacteria, make pine straw, twigs, leaves and other organics just up and dissapear in a matter of 4 to 6 hours time. It makes the water a purple color to start, and gradually changes to a bright pink color after about 4 or so hours, which then changes to a brown, and with lots of aeration the brown will change to crystal clear water all within 6 hours of dosing the chemical into the pond....Totally amazing....I just about am blue in ther face from figuring my ponds gallonage, as I must have done it a 1000 different times over and over, using different measurements as it has to be exactly between 2.7 and 2.9 PPM overall or else the fish and plants will be toast if too high, and if too low will not do a darn thing other than change color for a bit anbd not properly oxidize the organics and parasites, so to say the least I am pretty darn paranoid and feel kind of uneasy about doing this.............but its got to be done........After and if I gt my initial PPM future doses will be a cake walk its just that and finding out if you were right on your figures...........so by this time tomorrow either I will have a fungus free pond or a mess of dead fish, or spent a lot of money and time and have to do it again...........Sometimes I wished I still had a 10 gal aquarium with 10 cent goldfish in it! Figuring a capacity for a typical pond that you usually find koi etc i is one thing, but this pond ios many many years old, lots of things have changed and no real measurements were ever taken initially. so I have had to take numerous measurements at various points to try and get an average depth, then work in the irregular shaped shoreline, and since Tuesday all my figures went out the window as we got over 3 1/2 inches of rain which puts the pond up and in different areas yet again around the shoreline.....

Oh well thats life I guess!

Any other pond owners out there.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Pro Pot Perm 55lb Drum
Note: This item CANNOT be shipped UPS Ground. This item is shipped via FREIGHT ONLY and is on a pallet. SHIPPING CHARGES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS PRICE! Call for shipping cost estimate to your location.
Our Price: $349.00 On Sale: $199.00

Qty:
found this in 2 minutes from google search -- they ship al over usa --

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Chip,

You may already be aware of this quality resource but if not I heartily recommend it to all Pond Owners novice and expert alike!!!

Pond Boss

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by bigl22
Pro Pot Perm 55lb Drum
Note: This item CANNOT be shipped UPS Ground. This item is shipped via FREIGHT ONLY and is on a pallet. SHIPPING CHARGES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS PRICE! Call for shipping cost estimate to your location.
Our Price: $349.00 On Sale: $199.00

Qty:
found this in 2 minutes from google search -- they ship al over usa --
ou shuld see what the shipping and special handling fees are on that stuff though. That price is still higher if my computations is right.......than what I paid for it within driving distance. I had located some in Florida about 3 hours away, was all prepared to go get it after I ran into this DEA EPA fiasco stuff, gave the place another call and inquired, and was then informed after the fact I would need proper DEA paper work for purchase........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts