Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything new for the up-coming year? I read on that abrasive, other site that Husky may be dropping the Kawasaki engine and lowering prices. Any significant changes (improvements) other than the “lets change the hood shape and call it a 2004”? You would think that Husky is perfectly positioned to be the technology leading sibling of the AYP family, instead of just the older brother in the orange jumpsuit. Add to that a beefier tranny, direct drive and a stronger chassis (read- not stamped) and now you have the beginnings of some meaningful differentiation in their lineup.

Anyone hear anything?

Cannon

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is what I think, My personal observation, nothing more. I think Husqvarna (with it's headquarters in Charlotte,N.C.) has finally decided to give customers what they want, a lower price on a tractor that deserves a lower price. They know how many mowers are sold and they know that in order to get numbers they must position themselves in the marketplace. I think finally they have gotten the price and quality together. The Husqvarna tractors have always been too high priced for what it was worth. The Kawasaki engines are still available on XP tractors for people wanting it. However, I feel the tractor deserves a lower priced engine, what good will a preminum engine be when the tractor falls apart in ten years( these numbers are different depending on the maintence and care the owner gives it) . I'm not trying to say it not a good tractor because it is a better value now than they've ever offered. Check them out if you are wanting to spend $1500.00 to $2199.00.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
142 Posts
Just saw 2 new ones at Lowes

I was at Lowes today at lunch, to buy wome salt for our ice storm thsi past few days. They had a new Husq Garden Tractor (their version of the Craftsman DGT 6000??), and a new Husq Lawn tractor (their version of the Craftsman DYT 4000). The both looked real nice, and for the price (mind has gone blank..sorry) they seemed like a good deal. They were parked next to the new Cub Cadet 1018 (??). The Husky made that new Cub seem real chaep looking.

I own the Craftsman DLT 3000, and like it. It was similar to the Husky 2142 model (???), which was the same as Sears DLT 3000, excpet a few more features (and better engine).

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Originally posted by Cannon
Anything new for the up-coming year? I read on that abrasive, other site that Husky may be dropping the Kawasaki engine and lowering prices. Any significant changes (improvements) other than the “lets change the hood shape and call it a 2004”? You would think that Husky is perfectly positioned to be the technology leading sibling of the AYP family, instead of just the older brother in the orange jumpsuit. Add to that a beefier tranny, direct drive and a stronger chassis (read- not stamped) and now you have the beginnings of some meaningful differentiation in their lineup.

Anyone hear anything?

Cannon
Welcome aboard Cannon!
Andy

·
Registered
241 Posts
HGT2548

I went to Sears to buy a GT5000, but they didn't have the auto matic. None of the local Sears had the automatic model. Then, when they told me it would take 2 weeks to get it, I was not happy. After another couple of days of research, I dicovered the Husqvarna, and noted it had a few features over the Sears GT5000 "clone". I negotiated a $2,300 in-the-crate price, and bought it. The fact that the Sears implements/attachments fit perfectly sure is a blessing. I'm really impressed with how well the 48" deck and the 3-bin bagger work. I ordered the new sleave hitch, I bought a used Hinkly plow. This is the only way to find out if it'll plow. It'll be interesting. I'm also ordering a Johnny Bucket Jr.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Welcome Willie:friends: i looked at the HGT2548 at Lowe's Sunday very nice GT . I like the amp and hour gages on it . Now i see why so many people have bought the GT5000 i believe its the same just without the hour gage. I'm sure you will like it like i said its a very stout machine. If you have any question about the board just ask and lets see some pictures of your beast.
Jody

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Re: HGT2548

Originally posted by Willie Nunez
I I'm really impressed with how well the 48" deck and the 3-bin bagger work. I ordered the new sleave hitch, I bought a used Hinkly plow. This is the only way to find out if it'll plow. It'll be interesting. I'm also ordering a Johnny Bucket Jr.

good deal and welcome Wille, let us know how you like your johnny bucket accessories and the tractor.. what are you using it for? how big is your yard ect? (Just being nosey)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Actually, besides the additional instrument and better instrument panel, HGT2548 has a couple of features over the Sears GT5000. The mower deck is power-coated, and it has a handy lever on top of it for releasing the tension on the belt. This, plus the quick pins, should make it fairly snappy to drop the mower deck. Also, the front bumper is standard, as opposed to being an option. Of course, the orange and grey/black paint job sets it apart from being just another one of them shiny RED tractors. And, my wife likes the name better than the name Crafstman.....you figure. Finally, now that Lowes has installed their own service operation, warranty issues(if any) might be handled as quickly as Sears(or quicker).
I bought the tractor for several reasons, not the least is that it was time for a new toy. I decided to do something when the City of San Antonio decided it was time to cut the tall grass on our lot(city ordinance). It wasn't cheap. The lot is/was overgrown with Johnson grass, and the grass was hiding lots of rock and ruble that was left over from the building of houses around there(our lot is the last vacant lot there, everone dumped on it). It's a large corner lot, and it's got several humps that I need to level out, and I've decided to cut 2 perimeter shallow gutters for drainage. The general grade is 3' per 200' of drop from the back corner to the diagonal front corner. The little tractor has been very helpful in picking up and bagging leaves, cutting and bagging grass, and towing the trailer while we load it with rocks and ruble. I plan to rent a motorgrader and do all the leveling and grading myself, and I'll scarify the area where the veggie garden will go. I'm also putting in a long circular driveway(from both streets), plus a pad for the motorcoach. So, the little tractor will pay for itself in helping do all this work, and also in putting in landscaping and subsequent maintenance and upkeep of the garden and yard.
One reason I came into this forum is to try and pick someone's brain regarding the adaptation of electric linear actuators. I'd like to adapt one to the sleave hitch and to the Johnny Bucket.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Willie
I see you followed the rest of us bad boys from GW!! LOL I think the new sears sleeve hitch uses an actuator like you're describing, I'm not sure what the part # is but I posted the part # for the earlier style under the electric lift post the part # 917.24245 or on the sales receipt was 71 24245. This is the lift that works with the deck lift lever so if you use an older syle(w/o seperate lift handle) sleeve hitch it will raise and lower anything on the sleeve hitch or if you mount the dozer blade on the front, it will work that also. The JBJr uses an atv winch to raise and lower on the craftsman/husqvarna application. I guess you're looking to give the bucket some "down pressure" with an actuator? Have you emailed john scheele about it? He usually has some good ideas. I would think the winch could be rigged to hold it down, maybe?

·
Registered
241 Posts
sixchows,
Yep, smartguy told me I should check things out over here.

The hitch that I ordered is the new upgraded version with the handle(#24535). It's still on sale(about $116). The electric actuator kit(#24545) is for this hitch, but none of the Sears people have any delivery dates for this actuator.....plus it's very pricey(over $330).

I know that the actuator itself is not THAT expensive, and I believe I can do the mod myself.
Yes, I communicated my idea to John Scheele. I suggested that the winch cable could possibly be rigged to lift and to pull down. But, he wasn't too receptive to the idea. I might order the Johnny Bucket without the winch(assuming he would give me the money credit for it), and that would help pay for the linear actuator. I'm speculating that the actuator can be adapted to the J-B Jr. Obviously, we already know it can work on the hitch.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I'm not opening that link no more:dazed:
Jody

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was going to see about posting a photo, but that lady(the one that let herself go) took all the WOW factor out of pictures. She looks like a whole lot of traction.

Seriously, I was born with an understanding of things mechanical. On the other hand, the procedure for posting pictures somehow reminds me of orbital physics and Laplace transformations.
One of these days, with the help of my wife, I will learn how to post a photo. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You know what I can't understand about that picture? Why cover up with the hearts? Can they be any more offensive than the rest of her? On second thought forget it, I really don't want to know!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Willie
Posting pics is real easy here. Use the "post reply" on the lower right (not the quick reply at the bottom) When you're on that page, under the message area is a "browse" link, click on it and find the picture you want in your pc, highlight it click on "open" and it's done. This will post the picture with your message. To make the avatar, you may have to downsize the picture.

·
674 Posts
Another quick way to put up a pic is to attach the file. this way you don't have to up load the file to a pic web site. you can attach it right from your computer.

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Willie
On the main page down at the bottom in tractor pictures i have a FAQ on how to post pictures very easy to do.
Jody

·
Registered
241 Posts
I haven't even taken the first step. We'll try to take some tractor photos in the next couple of days. Thanks for the instructions.
Actually, we've had requests for photos from 2 family members who are into LT/GT tractors. My brother has a Green L180(it could be LT180..??), and strangely, he's the one who urged me to look over the Sears tractors. I guess he suspected I wouldn't appreciate whatever it is about the Deere that makes it have a higher price tag. He paid about $1,000 more for his. Here's what's funny, his wife who is an ME(engineer) and also a lawyer told me she likes mine better(claimed it was a better value)...................................................THAT'S what makes me the WINNER.....hehehehhe
I hope I don't start a family feud....????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts