Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They were throwing this Lincoln Idealarc 250 welder away so I took it. Turns out its just a bad switch. Works fine when switch is bypassed. It's 40 years old, would you think it's worth fixing? It was in the ag shop in a small school so doubt that it has very many hours on it. I'm not an experienced welder, is the DC capability a big deal?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
If all it needs is a switch, then, assuming the switch is still available) unless repair parts are outrageously priced, it should be worth repairing.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Those were, and still are pretty good old welders. I imagine it's copper wound. A DC welder is usually more desireable over an AC for lots of applications. If all that's wrong with it is the switch, that's no big deal. I'd fix it and if you need a welder, you have both AC and DC. If you don't need it, put it up fro sale. There would be plenty of buyers in this area......

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drove by a welding supply place today, thought, just for laughs, I'll lsee if the switch is available. He said, just a minute, went in back and brought one out. Had gotten it my mistake so sold it to me for cost. I don't know what kind of coil it has, but it must weight close to 300 lbs.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I'm glad you found a switch so easy. I didn't think it would be much of a problem.

That heavy old coil is likely why it's been around for so long and still works. The cheap newer ones usually aren't built as well. You probably have a higher duty cycle than the newer welders too.

I think you got a bargin.......

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Those are great old welders. I have an old Lincoln that does a great job. I was at the Fabtech show this weekend and some of the new machines are pretty awesome. These guys across from our booth were welding using a pair of deep cycle batteries. They could weld up to 3/4" steel with it.

Pretty good for a handheld wire feed unit.

Great for the homeowner I would guess.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Old_Nodaker
It's 40 years old, would you think it's worth fixing?
No its not worth fixing so put it on a pallet and ship it collect to me and i will get dispose of it in the right manner.:smiles:
Jody

1 - 7 of 7 Posts