Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the past week in Beijing conducting a training course for about 150+ Chinese. There was only one English speaking channel on the TV in the Beijing Conference Center where I stayed most of the time. Turned on the station my last evening there and there was a discussion on "American Imperialism in the World." Something you would expect from Godless Commies but much to my surprise we had a supporter in a professor from one of the local universities. The other panelist was a Yale Professor who I would classify as somewhat of a moderate but certainly not a liberal. The moderator was trying to get both to admit that the world is a lot less safer as a result of the US invasion of Iraq. To my amazement, the Chinese professor made a much more convincing case for our actions than his US counterpart inspite of the deliberate bias of the moderator. The Chinese were extremely interested in our election but perhaps out of courtesy to me, they did not criticize Bush or our government in general. This is a stark contrast to people I know that have gone to France recently only to experience verbal assault by them on streets concernin our foreign policy. The Chinese on the other hand, I believe will likely become one of our best non-English-speaking friends over the next 10 years because they are indeed smart enough to recognize the value we offer. Now if we could only ship a few John Deere tractors over there, they would be spoiled for life!:D Saw some Caterpiller equipment but no JD stuff. As a I said, they still have a ways to go!;)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by DeereBob
Spent the past week in Beijing conducting a training course for about 150+ Chinese. There was only one English speaking channel on the TV in the Beijing Conference Center where I stayed most of the time. Turned on the station my last evening there and there was a discussion on "American Imperialism in the World." Something you would expect from Godless Commies but much to my surprise we had a supporter in a professor from one of the local universities. The other panelist was a Yale Professor who I would classify as somewhat of a moderate but certainly not a liberal. The moderator was trying to get both to admit that the world is a lot less safer as a result of the US invasion of Iraq. To my amazement, the Chinese professor made a much more convincing case for our actions than his US counterpart inspite of the deliberate bias of the moderator. The Chinese were extremely interested in our election but perhaps out of courtesy to me, they did not criticize Bush or our government in general. This is a stark contrast to people I know that have gone to France recently only to experience verbal assault by them on streets concernin our foreign policy. The Chinese on the other hand, I believe will likely become one of our best non-English-speaking friends over the next 10 years because they are indeed smart enough to recognize the value we offer. Now if we could only ship a few John Deere tractors over there, they would be spoiled for life!:D Saw some Caterpiller equipment but no JD stuff. As a I said, they still have a ways to go!;)
You are undoubtedly correct, it does little good to cut of your nose to save face!! Truffles can only go so far and it looks like a major change happening in North Korea Today!!

Neither regime can last 4 more years now that placating nonsense is a thing of the liberal past!

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
The United States has many friends that the American media choose not to report on. The Communist government of China has it's own agenda, but the people of China are still taught of the American's that came to save them from the Japanese. One of the best and oldest teaching methods used... traditional oral story telling from the elders to the young ones. We have friends in Cuba, Africa, and even in the middle east, but Pete Jennings, Dan Rather, and CNN will never tell you about them. Gotta get your news from other sourses.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
the chinese can be great friends or implacable enemies that never quit-- I have seen both kinds-- they are a pragmatic people-- they are used to sacrifcing now in order to reach a long term goal-- a virtue that all too often is in retchedly short supply in this country -- outside of the milirtary at the the ground pounder level that is-- bigl -- if any of your kids are talking a foriegn language at school-- talk to them about learning mandarin or arabic-- one for trade and the other for interrogations--

1 - 4 of 4 Posts