Votes: 6 16.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 3 8.3%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another thread started to go towards a walmart rant...

So do you like walmart? Hate it? Need it? dont Care?

Im in southern maine and without walmart, we would have no other decent stores within 30 Miles.

We have a super walmart near me.. It sells groceries too... In Maine we practically have a walmart in every other town...

I do not like their meats and I think their produce is horrible, plus they dont have fresh (made on premises) breads like other grocery stores. But as for walmart, i like it. I try to buy products made in USA there if possible.. but its sort of 'the only game in town' theres nothing else cheap like it near us.. so i like them.. actually id vote they are a 'necessary evil' or as a needed' store for me....

what about you?

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Walmarts are institutions in most rural towns. They have always had a sense of community about them. There are people who go for just coffee and to socialize. Now that's a community place.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well my wife goes there all the time me i could care less. I go once in a while in fact i just got back from there today i go there with her sometimes.
Jody

·
674 Posts
I go there now and then, always go there for oil. When I am there I walk around looking at Clearence stuff ......... Their Sporting goods dept. is OK

·
Registered
47 Posts
The local store is a super store but they don't have as much stuff as in the bigger towns. They have been open about one year I went there today looking for a coffee grinder and a set of allen wrenchs no luck! But the good news is there open all night.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Walmart is a Good news-Bad news type deal. Good news is a wide varity of items so you can take care of much of your shopping in one place, and good prices on many things. Bad news is they put many small stores that can't buy in volume out of business, and you have to watch what you are buying, because a lot of it (especially hardware items) are higher than elsewhere, but we are used to thinking of every thing being cheaper at Walmart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hate Walmart. They, along with a since-defunct K-Mart destroyed the downtown of the small town I grew up in, forcing a Ben Franklin's, an old downtown Kroger's, an Ace Hardware, and numerous clothing, shoes, and drugstores out of business. I used to love going downtown to shop, but sadly downtown is a ghostly place except for lawyers and bars these days.

To go along woth all this great "benefit", there's now a huge zone of awful stripmall development all around the big-box stores. The Walmart has been through four locations in this area since the '70s, each time leaving an ugly, abandoned strip crapball development in its wake.

Yes, I hate Walmart. I have seen them do this to so many towns. I applaud all of those places that are fighting the homogenizing trend and keeping their local flavor. Vermont, for example.

And lest you think I am speaking of some distant misty-eyed past where every town was Mayberry, I am 29 years old. I remeber vibrant downtowns. This overtaking is happening THAT FAST.

Patronize your local merchants. The ones who put their heart and soul into their work. This includes the local diner, where REAL COMMUNITY resides. Or around the heater at the local hardware store, every town has one.

I swear, if anyone ever catches me shooting the sh!t at a Walmart, I hope they put me out of my misery.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I am with coz

On the Wally World question I have to agree with the CoZ.
"THEY SUCK"
Also can not stand all the Dollar stores that have seemed to spring up over night.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I live in a VERY small rural town (one stop light and that was put up less than 6 months ago) I give my patronage to local businesses first but if they are not willing to be reasonably competitive; I am off to Walmart. They have a great selection, services, and prices.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with chief...
Ill buy my bread at ther local store, my milk & butter and eggs at the 'milk' farm, screws & bolts from the hardware store, produce at the super market..
but for basic stuff; detergent/auto stuff/general crap.. i go to walmart...

If the other places sold the stuff at similiar prices id go there.. but its tough to compete with walmart.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Who needs help buying every little single thing in there life?
Not me, i may need help selecting a lawn mower or soemthing but for the most part people dont need help buying ordianry items at wal-mart. So servcie is not really an issue.

We complain when we go somewhere where there is service;like a furniture store or Car Lot. I can see now "I hate those Salemans always harrassing me"

Wal-mart has given people what they want. TO BE LEFT ALONE.

I dont need that "Personal touch" of serivce in selecting my toothpaste or my underware.

I like Small places for big tickrt items like cars and boats,

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
So many people bash Walmart, and I can understand why, but when it comes down to it, I have three kids and it's nice to be able to get shoes and clothes for them cheap and still have quality.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
One stop

I like it because I can get so many things with one stop. Don't really care for the greeters though.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Yeah, I would love to be a Walmart greeter so I could drop customers for push-ups for walking by and leaving their shopping carts and trash out in the parking lot. You know the routine where the drill sergeant get up in your face with the brim of his hat against the top of your head and spit balls flying. I figure I might last a couple of hours on the job. :cowboy: :smiles: :lmao: Everytime I go in Walmart the parking lot is full of abandoned shopping carts. The kids and I will grad a few carts and bring them back in and the greeters appreciated it but think we are from Mars or something. :smiles:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yup chief you sound like you'd make a great customer service rep..
are you sure you dont work for my cable company? you sound like some of the folks ive gotten when i call.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Greeters

What's with all the retired greeters?? They need the girls of Walmart (Playboy) to be doing this. I would go more often.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts