Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there use a Wagner power painter to paint their tractor, car, truck, etc? I've seen them used on houses and fences, where coverage was more important than a smooth glossy finish, but was wondering if decent results can be achieved on metal? At least better than rattle can results.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Joe i never had no luck using it on metal does fine on wood though. I'm sure the more high $ ones may, the one i have is a low $ home owner model. If i have metal to paint i use my Bink's spray gun.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have used one once. I bought a higher end Wagner sprayer, about $200. I found it to be junk. It seemed to be more of a splatter than a spray. The gentleman at HD stated I must have a bad one so we did an exchange, still the same results. It seemed to be quicker to hand role the sheetrock than it was spraying.

I personally think you would have better results with a can than with the Wagner sprayer. The cans atomize the paint better than the Wagner does.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Not a uniform coat of paint or atomized fine enough to suit me.....just like others already stated. I was given a high end unit still in the box unused, and after one trial run with it to paint a cattle trailer it wound up back in the box and dropped off at Goodwill donation box..........

While its not for painting a tractor etc, that Wagner Paint stick IMHO is an awesome deal and works great diferent deck of cards, but its still for applying paint, and on sheetrock especially ceilings etc its hard to beat and the price is right. Clean up is easy as well. I borowed one at the suggestion of my friend who offered it to me to use and after one room, went and bought my own..........Then again why could you not use it to paint tractors etc. I knew a fellow who used to paint his old International pickup truck every year with a brush and roller and from a distance it looked fine!:furious:

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping for better than a 50-50 paint job (looks good from 50 feet at 50 MPH). Thanks for the info, guys! I guess I'll pass on getting a Wagner for now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I thought the Wagner power painter sucked for even painting houses. A buddy of mine had one awhile back- not only does it spit the paint out in small drops, it vibrates like crazy and is very loud.

If you are in need of a tractor paint that can be applied with a brush or roller, look to your local marine place. Paints from Interlux, Pettit, etc., make a polyurethane that is "self leveling"; apply it with a sponge type roller, then feather with a decent paint brush. The paint will level out and look like it was sprayed. It is also very durable- like most things designed for a marine environment.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by aegt5000
:ditto: To all the bad reviews of the power painter.

I got the $200 one and returned it the same day.
And with that said, it sure does not take much stretch of the imagination to realize how the el cheapo models are!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Chipmaker
While its not for painting a tractor etc, that Wagner Paint stick IMHO is an awesome deal and works great diferent deck of cards, but its still for applying paint, and on sheetrock especially ceilings etc its hard to beat and the price is right. Clean up is easy as well. I borowed one at the suggestion of my friend who offered it to me to use and after one room, went and bought my own..........Then again why could you not use it to paint tractors etc. I knew a fellow who used to paint his old International pickup truck every year with a brush and roller and from a distance it looked fine!:furious:
Chip,

not sure what a paint Stick is - Wagner's website has the airless sprayers, an air system, and "electric rollers" Do you mean the electric rollers?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by balmoralboy
Chip,

not sure what a paint Stick is - Wagner's website has the airless sprayers, an air system, and "electric rollers" Do you mean the electric rollers?
A paint stick is a long handled deal much like a long handle on a regular paint roller. This handle is a hollow translucent tube of plastic with a plunger on a rod, that extends out the end opposite of where the paint roller is attached to. The frame that holds the paint roller is hollow and is attached to the larger hollow handle tube. The roller covers look like regular covers except the core is perferated. ALso directly behind th roller itself is a tube with a check valve in it. At the opposite end of the handle is a trigger asembly that pushes against the rod in the center much like a caulking gun center plunger rod does. In the kit you get a cover that has a pickup tube and fits 1 quart and 1 gal sized cans. Pop of the regular metal lid on the can, and put the plastic lid with pickup tub on can, place tube at roller end on the tube on the paint can lid, and pull back on plunger handle and it sucks up paint into the hollow handle. Pull of the roller end from the lid, put roller on wall or ceiling, and squeezxe plunger feed handle and it starts putting out paint through the roller cover. Need more paint, squeeze harder......one fill covers a large area and its easy to use once you get the hang of it. Big problem with rollers is you are always stopping to replenish paint on the roller, and this method saves a lot of stoping and bending over, and there is no open roller pans to trip over either. Cleanup is easy, and only takes a few minutes, or about what a regular paint roller cleaning would take. You can pop off the cover or place a plastic bag over it and use it a few days later, so having to stop is not a problem. The paint in the handle will stay liquid as long as paint in a can will.

I used one of those battery powered rollers to paint my ceiling tiles. Ceiling tiles are quite porous and since I heat with wood had some soot stains on mine, and it took a coat of primer sealer and lots of other coats to get them looking right. That battery powered roller had all it could do to keep up with a simple one coat cover and I was forever changing out batteries. Thats when I borrowed the paint stick........and been using it ever since. IIRC it covers about 60 or so sq feet with a single fill, no more splattering like you get with regular rollers. There are a few different companies that make them, and Wagner is just one of them..best thing is no batteries to fool with. They usually come with a overhead spatter shield which actually works and does not hinder its use. I look at it as a sort of giant magic marker type thing......no more dry overlap marks etc just a nice paint job.......should be great around a hotel / inn / motel such as you have. You can easily reach an 8 or 9 foot ceiling without a step ladder. About the only place it sucks is in a closet due to its handle length, but its still doable if you think things out....

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Chip i bought one of those about six years ago when i built my house. It works great made painting a whole lot easier and faster with less paint spatter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looks great, Chip. Thanks for the tip. I'll get one and give it a go.

I usually get to do the ceilings, so that looks like just the ticket.

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
I thought I had already replied to this thread.....I used a Wagner to paint my 1963 Ford Econoline van with Rust-olem paint. Just had to fool with the thickness using that forked tool thingy. That was 10 years ago. I washed the van using my pressure washer last month and the paint looks like the day I put it on.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by freebird
I thought I had already replied to this thread.....I used a Wagner to paint my 1963 Ford Econoline van with Rust-olem paint. Just had to fool with the thickness using that forked tool thingy. That was 10 years ago. I washed the van using my pressure washer last month and the paint looks like the day I put it on.
And how did it look the day you put it on?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by bontai Joe
And how did it look the day you put it on?
Good one joe!!! I read that three customers ago and I'm still chuckling!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts