Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running XP Home Edition with McAfee protection. I had 19 versions of Downloader, and 2 versions of Backdoor viruses. They didn't come through e-mail. They came through a web site, or a program from a website that I may have clicked on. The sad part, I bought McAfee for just that reason, to catch viruses, but it didn't catch any of them and when I ran McAfee scan it kept telling me I didn't have a virus. I know I ran it a half dozen times. Trend Micro said I didn't have any. AVG cleaned most of them but by that time, the damage had been done. They are not true viruses so I don't understand how they done that much damage. I had to run my recovery disk through and start again. It took 5 tries to get them to run. The first one kept stopping at 42% telling me it couldn't read some file. On the 5th try it went on through. Oh well, such is life.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Sorry

to hear that Merlin glad you got it back up. Do you run live updates to keep it updated. I use Norton and i run live update everyday to try to stay on top of anything new.
Jody

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I had McAfee too when I got my first virus. Changed to Norton with live updates and haven't had a problem since. It has caught a few viruses but never let them in.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Merlin, glad you're back up and running! I run Norton too, and it's caught a couple of viruses. As soon as I opened one web page, Norton told me there was 2 viruses in my internet temp files, quarentined and deleted them before they got any where.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Actually AVG a lot is better than Norton and McCaffe....make sure at least Norton is 2004...earlier versions miss some trojans

Dont forget a software firewall as well ( Zone Alarm Pro 4.5 being one)

Ducati996

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Just make sure whatever virus protection program that you may have, that you keep it updated weekly. Viruses are coming out at an alarming pace.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I have a small handle full of machines running at the same time...
Some have Norton 2004 others have AVG....AVG blocks better overall....Norton lets too much slip by....but still protects....AVG just does it better...

Ducati

1 - 7 of 7 Posts