Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running a kerosene heater in my garage.. its nice and toasty....


I can smell the kerosene fumes.. not horrible... but i was wondering.. is there a need to keep a window cracked or anything to allow ventilatinn in the garage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,687 Posts
John I think some ventilation is needed. The flame is useing whatever oxygen it can. Besides the fumes that you can smell, there is also carbon monoxide.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
Im running a kerosene heater in my garage.. its nice and toasty....


I can smell the kerosene fumes.. not horrible... but i was wondering.. is there a need to keep a window cracked or anything to allow ventilatinn in the garage?
Yes, you do. I believe my Reddy heater instructions had a chart telling how much fresh air was needed depending on the size of heater and area being heated. Our two car garage is insulated with drywall so the door or window needs to be open several inches to be safe with it running continously.

Mark
 

·
a day ahead of y'all
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
SJ,

I suggest you invest in a carbon monoxide detector (similar to a smoke detector) and mount it in your garage near the heater. You can get them at box stores or RV centers. I have one in my RV and it works! Believe me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Memmurphy- What heater do you have? I have the Reddy Heater 40-60-80k BTU heater, and love it, but I really need something smaller. I have had it so warm in the garage before that the tools in the toolbox were sweating. Not good. LOL The only problem is that it only runs about 11 hours on the low (40k) setting. At $16 a pop, that gets quite expensive. Last winter, I saved the blue caps from the refilled tanks just to keep track of how many I used. I used 21 tanks. (ouch!)

Anyway, SJ...I would not even start that thing up without an o2 sensor. With propane, I leave all the doors shut with no ventilation and have never had a problem, but I dont think kero burns nearly as clean. I know my o2 sensor works, as the car and even my tractor will set it off If I dont pull out of the garage right after I start it. Without a sensor, by the time you realize theres a problem, it's too late...your in the obituary column.

Be warm, but be careful! :)
Greg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Carbon Monoxide poisoning

What a peaceful way to die.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Fusion1970
Memmurphy- What heater do you have?


Mine is a Reddy 35,000 BTU forced air kerosene heater. I bought it in 1989 from Quality Farm & Fleet. It has a 3 gallon tank. Roughly 11 hours continuous runtime. I bought the thermostat accessory for it. It will keep it 65-70 with single digits outside. According to the manual it requires a 1.2 square foot opening for fresh replacement air from outside.

I only run it while I'm close by. This type of oil heater can blow a pretty good ball of fire out the front if something goes wrong or it runs empty. It is great for fast heat or directed heat.

Mark
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top