Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping for a new tractor. Stopped at this place that only sells used stuff. Looked at a Case, Challenger, and Ford. All in the 28 hp size. Then I went to the New Holland dealer where I had been looking at new.

When I told the salesman about the used Case, he said have to be careful some Case tractors were problem children. He also said that with that dealer there would be no warrentee. He wanted to know a model number, which I couldn't give.

I went into this like back in the good old days. All farm tractors wered good, just different. Choice was a matter of what brand did you like, and how good was service etc.

So what do you look for? The Case for under $9,000 sure looked good to me.

catmando,

·
Registered
497 Posts
Welcome to the forum Catmando!

As for the Case, with out more information it's hard to say what it's worth. Depending on the model, year, options and condition there can be a big price difference.

For 28hp you can step into a new entry level Kubota or New Holland for not much more money. Just an example, here is a New Hollan TC30 for less than $12k. TC 30

If you can give us more information we can probably help more. But for one thing, I have NEVER heard anything bad about a Case.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Am I mistaken in thinking the Case and NH CUTs are the same tractor with different paint?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Welcome to Tractor Forum catmando! Great to have you aboard. With respect to buying used; I like the Kubota L series machines. They are well built and hold up. If you can find a 50, 70, or 90 series John Deere used; those are also very well built machines as well. I would also suggest a Deere 790 in 4WD if you are looking at new machines. These are pretty much bullet proof tractors but are very basic gear shift tractors. The Deere 4000 Ten series are also real nice but a good bit more price wise. Kioti also makes a VERY good and reliable built tractor as well. Good luck on your search and let us know what you decide. Please post any further follow on questions as that is what we are all here for! ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CUTs

I decided to just make up my mind and buy a New Holland TC24D. Was looking at the TZ18, but decided to go the next step and get a little more capacity.

24 hp. The first tractor we had on our farm was a F12 farmall. Then moved up to a John Deere B. Used to have a Powerking 18 hp. Joked with dad that it was more tractor than the old F12! The F12 pulled 2 12 plow, but the Powerking only pulled 1 12. But faster!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Holland

Thanks for the welcome guys. I was a little timid when I first came here. But once I figured out how the site works it is great. Always great to be welcome somewhere.

I know that I will be happy with my new purchase. Now will have to make a dump wagon for the old MTD, so I can haul the dirt that I am going to move. That will be fun!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
So what happand to the PowerKing???? Those are one AWSOME garden tractor. Dont come much stronger then that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Powerking

Through a misunderstanding my brother sold it. He had been storing it in his pole barn. He says he asked me if I was willing to sell it. I don't remember saying yes, but could have, since had no use for it in the forseeable future.

Yea, it was a neat tractor. If they were still made today I wonder what it would have to sell for. The only compition for the Cub Cadet! It was basically bullet proof. Built like a real tractor.

Just goes to show what people want. They went to the styled lawn tractors for half the price. Too bad!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Re: Powerking

Originally posted by catmando

Just goes to show what people want. They went to the styled lawn tractors for half the price. Too bad!

Not me.:D One of the reasons I went with the Ingersoll's. Looks like a tractor SHOULD look.:D :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ingersoll444

The Ingersoll and the old case garden tractor look a lot alike. Did Ingersoll make the tractor for Case? This would be back in the early 80s.

I agree with you. They should at least look like tractors. However, what can I say about my new New Holland tc24d? Haven't made up my mind if it looks like a tractor or not. But at least it can do tractor type things.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Ingersoll bought out the Case small tractor lines back in the early 80's. So they are one in the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts