Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I want to get XP for my desktop. I am running 98 now. I have seen some friends upgrade to XP and their computer slowed to a crawl. Can someone tell me what the requirements are to run
XP? Here is what my computer has. I am not going to ad ram to mine and buy the upgrade. I will get a new computer if this one is not powerfull enough.
Rodster
PS..Below is what my system has.

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
Clean install using OEM Preinstall Kit /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /P J /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:01:49:36
Normal mode
On "COMPUTER" as "Default"
Compaq
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
96MB RAM
46% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (7464MB free)
Available space on drive C: 7464MB of 8762MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 572MB of 3463MB (FAT32)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You didnt say how fast your Pentium II is. You definitely need more ram if you want to run XP. Computers are pretty cheap nowadays. Might be time to update.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I cant tell you i know simple john did that so i think he should be able to tell you.
Jody

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
It runs 98 great. It runs faster than my laptop that came with XP and has more processer and ram that my desktop. My laptop
( Sony Vio) is a slug compared to my desktop.
Rodster

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a friend that ( years ago ) had an earley pre penium Windows machine that had 8 megs of ram after upgrading from 4.
He installed the new Windows 95 when it first came out. If he turned turned on the computer he had time to make lunch and eat it before it would even boot up. He finally gave up and bought a new one.
Rodster:blacksuit

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am finding out that lots of the new programs and plug in things
require Windows SE and above to run. I bought a neat thumb drive. 520 Megs that you just plug in to a USB port. It is great for storage and transfering files. It is smaller than a butane lighter.
You can carry it on a keychain. I got it home and found out that it must have 98 SE or above to work. Down the road most things will not be made for 98.
Rodster

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hmm, history may repeat itself then. But you never know. I remember upgrading a Pentium 75 from 8 to 16mb of ram and adding a video card with 4mb of video ram so I could play Nascar Racing 2. That wasnt cheap!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first computer was a penium 60. It came with 8 megs of ram.
I went to 16 and it seemed like a rocket. Then I added another 8
I think but that did not do much. I guess you only gain so much with a certain size processor.
Rodster

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That penium 60 was given to my youngest daughter years ago when I got this one. She gave it to my oldest Grandaughter
and the old HP is still running strong today. I went from Windows
3.1 to Windows 95 and it ran that good. It still is running Win 95 but nobody had added any new software to it just runs the old stuff.
Rodster

·
Registered
44 Posts
XP will run on a Pentium II, you need at least 64 MB of ram, you will get better performance with 128 MB or more. Do yourself a favor and don't try to run it with less than 128 MB. With 64 MB it just sits and writes to the disk cache all the time, and it just gets worse as you add programs that eat up memory in the system tray.

However, you need to look at how long you want to keep that Pentium II, and how much you are going to pay for XP. You also may have to go through driver update hell. Some of your devices might not have XP drivers available for them, I've seen people try to use non-XP drivers and mess their systems up. Dell offers Pentium 4's with XP preloaded in the $400 range.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think that computers tend to run the operating system they were shipped with the best. If you start messing with things, it may slow to a crawl. I question the size of your hard drive(s). XP will take 1GB alone and it doesn't take long to fill up the rest of your space with "stuff". I agree with MowHoward2210. The low end Dells are well suited for home use. By the time you buy the operating system and needed hardware to upgrade your machine, you will be halfway to the cost of a new low end machine.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you guys are right. When I make the switch just get a new one. Good excuse HA HA.
Have a great Easter.
Rodster:cheers:

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
173 Posts
Don't put XP on that Pentium II (Typically run 266 or 333 MHz). As a comparison, today's entry level Durons run at 1200 MHz...cost about $35. 96 meg of 60 or 70 nanosecond RAM is not enough either. Best option for this puter is to upgrade to Win98se or WinMe (basically win98 3rd edition)...look on ebay...should be cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Leave it alone, taking the config in considerations... your fine on 98.

If you really want XP, drop $400 and buy a new Celeron... HP or Compaq from CircuitCity/BestBuy/etc.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i upgraded mine from Win 98 to XP but i had a AMD 1.7 Gig and 512 of RAM and plenty of disk space.. so my pc was 'beefy enough' Tis is right.. nowadays you can get a pc at Dell or wherever for some short money... i just went through a setup with someone at dell, it was 714 not inlcuding a 100$ rebate.. so 614 and if you have a monitor... its a few bucks cheaper...

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Smart move Rod.. next time you go to the keys.. bring your Old PC.. if nothing else.. they make a great anchor...

:furious:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts