Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 50 bales brought in today and unloaded them into our large tack room for hay. Around bale #40 of these large square bales, my neck kinda pinched a little and went CRACKOPOP and then the pain and soreness settled in. I feel like a crippled fool not being able to fully turn my head etc --- Any home remedies or advice to help ease this along?

I took advil to no avail and I am about to reach for some Vicodin
to help with the pain. :D

Arrrrrrrrrrggghhhhh! ANY HELP?

Andy

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Motrin is the Air Force answer for everything. Come on Andy only 50 bales??? Try over 200, and I am just a city boy!!! Hope the neck is better, try icy hot or a good hot shower it might help!

:D

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh nice. Thanks for the sarcasm ---- wasn't I the one asking about a hay baler? It was early in the morn though!!! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

does that count? HAHAHAHA

:hide:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ice, Ice and more Ice, then after a day of that, try moist heat. Just went thru that with my back from lifting a 16.9X28 tire and rim. I feel your pain. Hope you get better real soon.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i agree w/kenny ice cant hurt.. and heat always feels good.. for some reason i was always told you follow heat up with ice at the end.. so maybe heat.. then ice...

I know at PT they always said.. yes, heat feels good but ice is what you do at the end..

so they would put heat on the sore thing.. then work it out and end it off with ice..

of course if that does not work..
whiskey and vicodin should help you get some rest...

hope you feel better...

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Originally posted by Kenny
ICE FIRST, it will reduce the swelling and then heat to get the blood flowing and to relax the muscles.
:ditto: Always ice first on pulled, sprained, torn muscles, large bruises, etc to reduce swelling AND inflammation. and you want to get that ice on soon after the injury and keep icing it down for the first 24 hours, then moist heat as needed. But then again, I'm not a doctor, I just play doctor on the internet:D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sorry I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night either!:D

I am not a big fan of the narcotics, so I guess Ice is about as good as any!

·
john-in-ga
609 Posts
SIMPLE

Putting 40th bale in tack room caused crick. You didn’t have it on 39th bale. Go back and remove 11 bales.

On a little more serious note, I used to have bad cricks in my neck. One of my uncles, when he heard of this, asked if there was a cool air vent over my bed. There was. He suggested I get something to divert the air flow. I did. My wife got a diverter at Wal-Mart. It just clipped over the vent. Haven’t had a crick since. (If I could only get rid of my lower back pain as easily.)

My experience with over the counter pain killers. Take them, the pain will be gone in 6 or so days. Don’t take them, and pain only last half dozen or so days.

Hope your pain stops soon. If not, get your exercise by grunting a lot.

:cpu:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Hell...I know how you feel...I threw my lower back out pickin up a bag of grain last week...It doesn't take much........best you can ask for is it will be gone in a few days...until then you'll have to tough it out:D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
You have lots of choices.....Budweiser, Miller, Jack Daniels, Canadian Mist, Vodka, Ever Clear a joint..........hmmmmdid I say joint, wonder how that slippe din there.......seriously Ice and then heat and a good massage by your better half may help as well. Its times like this a hot tub is nice.........Like Stewart said, Motrinis the USAF primaary prescribed medicain for anything from ingrown toenails to brain tumors.........all they ever did to me was give me stomach aches.......ONly real medicines are perscriptions and then yu need to see a doc for that. Never had any faith in bone crackers either. I would rather suffer with a stiff neck or sore back than take my chances on a bone cracker.

See.......if you got rid of the hay burner and had a ATV uyou would have only had to lug one or two 5 gal containers instead of a heap of hay to haul, stack and feed a bit at a time and then have to carry it all back out again later, and storage for a few cans of gas is so much less........:furious: :furious: :furious:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have to crack and pop my neck and back out every morning in a hot shower and throughout the day. Otherwise I get pinched nerves. I start my day off with 400 mg of Celebrex each and everyday otherwise I get flare ups of degenerative arthritis. Kenny is right about the ice immediately after the injury until any swelling goes down and then heat 24 hrs. later.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Andy, bin there, dun that!! When we used to cut 4' hardwood and load by hand, my neck would crunch loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.:dazed:

My remedy,,,, it'll hurt! :D Bite the bullet and turn your head as far to either side as your physically can while also tilting your chin toward the ceiling and your ear toward your shoulder. Go one side to the other til you get a good crunch out of it. Pain and stiffness gone!;)

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I ended up in the hospital a few years back for neck pain. Mine came out of nowere, and was the most excrutating pain I have EVER felt!!!!! You ever been in SO much pain, that you can feel the pain spike level out mecouse your body cant redger that much?? You will understand when you get there. NO FUN. A day are so on Demerall, and a week on mussle relaxers did the trick.:D

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the night after....got about 1hr of sleep and used ICYHOT
and some pain meds. Got to admit thatmy range of motion is much better already but still stiffy --- especially when sitting or TYPING such as this. Thanks for all of the warm remarks and even the sarcastic ones...it does make me feel better to know that people care!

Your fearless leader with a cricky neck
-Andy
:furious:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
sore neck is a pain i the ass.. pardon the pun.. but you can not do anything without feeling it.. whether you lie in bed, sit up lie on the couch.. work or do nothing... whatever you do.. your neck is always moving and hurting...

enjoy the vicodin...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Funny.......I get cricks in my neck from seat time, watching the mower. rake, tedder, baler or whatnot. My remedy, unload the hay!! Maybe you should do the reverse and go out and get some time in on the tractor. If your neck is mostly a sore muscle, a little Dr. Sun might help.;)

I have some percocet left over from a recent injury (another story), but with a slow dial-up connection on my end it would take forever to get it to you!:D :D

Whatever it takes, I hope it clears up soon for you.

waynl

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
How is the neck doing Andy? I just went through a bad spell with my back last week. I could hardly walk but I am not sure what I did to hurt it.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
feel great...went to the crack-o-doc (supposed friend of mine)
and then after sitting there for like 1.5 hours they bring me to the back and tell me "Hmmmm... looks like we don't aren't in your insurance coverage plan --- today's visit will be about $350 --- is that ok?"

HAHAHAHA... I laughed and left. It took a while but it started to work its way out in about 3 days and then about 100% in about 7 days or so. (maybe a little less) --- It did lead to some very interesting times. :D Chopped up a nice large limb and branches that fell this past week --- it felt great to swing the big axe around. (even it did play havoc with my creating lots of bloody blisters on my palms) --- it was great.

Now, I am back in the gym --- HOOYAH ---

-Andy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts