Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
A neighbor has a 1975 Moped he just bought. On the tank it says not to use unleaded gas. he has been adding a led additive and he has been fouling the plug. I thought that the valves on a 4 stroke is the reason for using lead. Can anybody tell me why a two stroke can't burn unleaded. Even my old 4 stroke engines get unleaded and have not had any problems.
Rodster:question:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I think they just said to not use unleaded becouse of the ouctane of the old first gen unleaded was pretty poor. I use unleaded in my old 77 RD400, and have no problems, and that is a heck of a lot motor then the moped. He will be fine, lose the addative.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would have to agree with Ingersoll. I see no reason to have to use leaded gas in a 2-stroke. In a 4-stroke that wasn't built for unleaded, it will burn the valves. The solution for this is hardened valve seats on the exhaust. A lot of the older small engines already have these so unleaded won't hurt them. I just can't come up with any reason to worry about it on a 2-stroke.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
My 1980 model 49cc Motobecane moped was kind of finicky about the spark plug. Bosch was recommended and seemed to be the only one to work very long. It would be running fine than backfire a few times and just stop dead. After pushing it for several miles home a couple of times, I got smart and carried a replacement plug and wrench with me at all times. Always used unleaded gas.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts