Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after many years of REALY letting my self go, I figured now, at almost 40, and with a 2yo daughter that would probably like to keep me around, it was time to get my act in gear. Being faced with the thought of trying to loose over 60lbs is pretty daunting, but with the help, and enceragment , [and a few pound head start from a stumic bug:D ] I took the plunge into a life as a thinner person. Well now I sit, 28lbs lighter, and feeling, and looking SOOOOO much better, it is time to take it to the next level. I have been doing some light working out. Nothing much, just some pushups, stumic crunches, and all the walking I can get in, but I realy need some more. Now the cost of time, and money make going to a gym not an option. Anything I do, has to be here at home. Does anyone know of any work out web sites, or other tips to get me moving in the right direction? I know just the eating right,[and less] is imporantant, but I assume soon I will be hitting "the wall" and slow down on weight loss. Plus I want to have a more healthy lifestyle so it STAYS off.

So at half way to my goal, whats next?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Well after many years of REALY letting my self go, I figured now, at almost 40, and with a 2yo daughter that would probably like to keep me around, it was time to get my act in gear. Being faced with the thought of trying to loose over 60lbs is pretty daunting, but with the help, and enceragment of a close frend, [and a few pound head start from a stumic bug:D ] I took the plunge into a life as a thinner person. Well now I sit, 28lbs lighter, and feeling, and looking SOOOOO much better, it is time to take it to the next level. I have been doing some light working out. Nothing much, just some pushups, stumic crunches, and all the walking I can get in, but I realy need some more. Now the cost of time, and money make going to a gym not an option. Anything I do, has to be here at home. Does anyone know of any work out web sites, or other tips to get me moving in the right direction? I know just the eating right,[and less] is imporantant, but I assume soon I will be hitting "the wall" and slow down on weight loss. Plus I want to have a more healthy lifestyle so it STAYS off.

So at half way to my goal, whats next?
I was hoping you would tell me, Paul! :D

I think I generally eat the right stuff, and try to stay away from fried foods and processed sugar. You would be surprised how much processed sugar is in our foods. My problem is I have a huge appetite!

I think the key is exercise, stay away from sugar, the processed carbs, and high fat content, and watch the size of your portions. Boy that takes the fun out of it doesn't it? :eat:

There are lots of diets out there, and a lot of them work if you stick with them. But I think ultimately falls back to to "calories in, calories out". In other words eat healthy and excersise. :mad: :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Carbs the breakfast of Champions

I have lost 40lbs since July, beside working outdoors in the hot Texas sun. I try get rid of carbs out of my diet all together, but I lost the energy for working around house and what not. I changed my routine so I have no carb intake after 10:00 am. For breakfast I don't watch my carbs. Carbs give you extra energy then use that energy to burn more calories thoughout the day. Also cut down on cola and drink more water!

I did have a friend who lost 165lbs in one year on the roofer diet! There are no clubs to join and no gyms to go to; instead they pay you! Become part of the few, the proud, the middle age roofer of a roofer crew and you get a little above minimum wage for it! Rip out the old shingles and install the new ones and feel fat and calories melt away!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I know just the eating right,[and less] is imporantant, but I assume soon I will be hitting "the wall" and slow down on weight loss. Plus I want to have a more healthy lifestyle so it STAYS off.

So at half way to my goal, whats next? [/B][/QUOTE]

Ingersoll, remember to stay off the dieting idea and stay in line of healthy eating in controlled quanity, meaning leave the table still on the hungry side and the workouts could be increased on the intensity level such as inclined crunches and pushups .. more reps cut which is burning fat in the muscle... Also note that it took almost 40 yrs to get where realized that the change was needed for longivity and love of family...

Since 1999 I have lost and kept off 38lbs just from a change in the what and portion I now eat. I still enjoy oreo's and milk just not past 6 pm or as often. ice cream also is good for the soul...

Good luck and I am sure you little one will keep the drive going to take control...
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
977 Posts
paul congrats on the weight loss. now for the execise program you could always get rid of the riding mower and go back to the old push type reel mower.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Ingersoll,

The hardest thing is to maintain discipline, and to keep the routine
different without it getting boring. I would also get a complete checkup (Stress test as well?) including all blood work that includes Cholesterol levels. Walking around the block for good distances does wonders. Bring the dog if you have, or the daughter, or other family member or friend. Outside work around the house is ideal, but now that winter is closing you might have to look at communities that have free indoor activities like tennis, volleyball, swimming. Winter is the hardest time to keep in shape.
I can through in personal experiences for myself and since we are
about the same age, I all to familiar with routines for fitness. I have been lifting weights for over 30 years, been involved in full all types of contact sports on and off that entire period, including contact fighting (extreme example I know)...enough about me

Diet and discipline are extremely important. Sudden weight loss usually is followed up with rapid weight gain. For strictly at home
exercise, the risk of getting bored is too great. If you have the means and room, some equipment maybe needed. You can usually find them used and at a fraction of what they went for new. Weight training will help you the quickest, to lose the weight and keep it off. You will be turning fat into muscle...
Treadmill's and machines called Precore's (low impact machines)
are fantastic for building up cardio. There are other machines as well equally effective. Mix that in with some weight resistance, and your half way home !! Local gyms maybe very cost effective as well. You will have to develop a routine that you have to stick to, and prioritize it. Go right after work before home life interferes with it. Or have you family support your time that you choose to exercise, and they must respect that. Difficult I know.
i wouldn't get caught up with this carb counting craze, because
its truly exaggerated and hype. Stick with a healthy diet with moderation, followed with physical exertion and you will have results.

We can always talk diet later.....good luck, and remember your life does depend on it

Ducati

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Question for Duc:

I used ride my mountain bike avidly. A back injury and other commitments have curtailed my activity. But thats another story.

My riding consisted of probably 5% trails and 95% of a "rail trail" which is a converted railroad trail that runs across a good part of my state. At my peak I averaged about 70 miles/week during the warm months riding 3-4 times a week. My best ride was a 15 mph average on a 45 mile ride with 2 acquaintances who were triathletes. It was a leisure ride for them, but a pretty good for me as this was on a gravel roadway with a mountain bike, and I did not embarrass myself. There is a slight grade on the way down, and a slight grade up on the way back which is a killer when there is a headwind. I slept good that night!

Any way my point is, even when I thought I was in good shape, I still would get a winded climbing 4-5 flights of office stairs and my legs felt heavy and starved on the way up . On the trails, I rarely had anybody pass me, as I always tried to come home with a high MPH average.

Was I just fooling myself that I was in shape? I would have to ride a couple of miles of hills to and from the rail trail.

Hope I didn't hijack your thread, Paul, but I thought this would be a good time to ask.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I think its a very good question....Your stamina can change very quickly in a very short period of time (within a few days or a few weeks) Its something that has to be maintained. Unfortunately
as you get older this process as you know, gets harder to maintain...I get winded myself doing stairs, it happens. I focus harder to watch my diet, and exercise a little more, and it comes back, for the most part :( some is lost because of age :(

If you are injured, use low impact machines along with weights to build up you weak areas. The stronger the muscle group for that area is, the less prone to injuries. Basic stuff and information I know..

Ducati

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I never realy bought into that "Hi carb, low carb, hi proten, low proten" diets. I am using the "common sence" diet. I am eatting better. Cut the red meat WAY down. No mickey D's or the like. But mostly has been portion control. I ate WAY TO MUCH!!! And you know after a week or two, I dont miss the food. OK once in a wile I get the munchys, but it has realy been pretty easy. Simple stuff like I bring a sandwitch to work. Turky no chese or dressing, and some frout. No chips, no candy bar, no frys. I will allow myself to eat ALL the F and V's I want. so when ever I get hungry, thats what I eat. Doing good, and I feel SOOOOOO much better. NOW to get in better shape.:)

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Paul,

Sounds like you've got the right attitude and things are working out well.

Uhhhh, I would, however, stay away from the "frout"....nasty stuff! :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by bear
paul congrats on the weight loss. now for the execise program you could always get rid of the riding mower and go back to the old push type reel mower.
The last two mowings have been done with the push mower.:D :D [not reel, but still 3 acres of walking] Only problem?? Mowing season is over:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Greg
Paul,

Sounds like you've got the right attitude and things are working out well.

Uhhhh, I would, however, stay away from the "frout"....nasty stuff! :D :D
I call it my "Bad spelling diet":D :D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Duc,

Thanks!! Lots of good info, and things I have been thinking myself, so nice to hear I am on the right track.

Mow,

Hijack away:D I am sure in 6 months I will be asking the same thing.

Well guy there IS one REAL big thing to over come. It is real hard to be the only one in the house watching what they eat. I have been good, but one someone makes a cake, or brownies, it IS hard!!!!!! But I am fighting it, and I guess it is making me stronger to resist.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I myself have lost a little over 100 pounds in just under 2 years. The reason I had gained so much was the steriods the doctor put me on to control a inner ear problem, The tube from sinus to inner ear had been badly scarred from chronic inner ear and sinus infections He also pulled me off the steriods and put me on a strict 1500 carorie diet and portion controls, carrotts and celery for snacks when I started my goodness the portions were small I LOVE MY FOOD, WAH

I am extemely tall and so my weight did not appear as bad, but it was. (6'6" and almost 400 pounds when I started). Today I weigh 287 and I feel great and I am only 10 pounds from my goal weight. :D

I would do one thing is set a weight room in home some place and hit the Thrift stores for a weight setup. I got mine at Goodwill and paid about $55.00 for it, It included the bench the barbell and the 300 pounds of weights. I have since added more weights and I am now bench pressing 350 pounds. I am not Arnold but I have a lot more of a healthy looking body.

This the hardest d#$*& thing I ever did but it well worth to see the looks my 27 year old son gave when he saw his old man bench pressing 300-350 pounds or the fact the belly doesn't hit the steering wheel (just the dang knees on my wifes Plymouth). I guess it is all work no matter what anybody says and the hardest dang thing I have ever done. I also got really active this past summer in outdoor projects which really helped keep my mind off food and the table.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of my problems was a lot like yours Michael. At 6'3", and a pretty big frame, I hid the weight well. No one could belive I weighed as much as I did. When I started losing I was at 256. I HAD topped out at 268, but was not there long. Now I am at 226 and feeling MUCH better. I want to get to just under 200, an then see how I fell/look. I think 200 would be good for me, but willing to go a little father down, if I think I need to.

BTW dug the old bike out this afternoon.:D :D Went for a short,about 3 mile ride, and it felt GREAT!!!!!!! I was always into bikes, and used to do a TON of riding,but have not been on one in YEARS. Now time to figure out where I put that weight bench when I moved:truth: :truth:

·
Registered
126 Posts
What works for me is watching my total fat intake each day. Coming from a history of high colesterol & my Dad had heart problems, I limit myself to 28 grams of total fat each day. NO fried food, no salt. That is REALLY hard to do, especially when you have to travel when working. The weight came off.
You learn to read labels. You ask questions about menus. Exercise is paramount. Get your heart rate up for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. My heart thanks me for it. My LDL colesterol is 96 & my total is 116. Three years ago, when my doctor told me I needed to get my LDL below 100, I told him that wasn't possible,,,,but I did it & you can too!
My wife is a "farm gal" & she's a BBW. I told her if it helps me it will help her too. I decided if i had to, i'd learn to cook the way i needed to. She doesn't have a colesterol problem but has high BP (??). We both benefit from a low fat diet.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
It sounds like a lot of you guys are doing great by yourselves!!
Sure as heck sounds like you dont need advice. It sounds like you
found out what works for you. There is no one size fits all in the health aspect. You have to find out what works for you and stick with it. Keep the goals realistic and within your reach, and set new ones when the old ones are obtained....Actually i dont see where i can help you guys, it seems like you are doing fine all by yourselves :)

Ducati

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Duc,

The goals are a big thing to me. It was kinda tough to look at the WHOLE 60lbs in one chunk, so I had broken it down to 10 lb blocks. As of now, I am about 2 months ahead of what I had planed:) , and the best? I am not starving. I feel good. Some times I get a "hungry" day, but they are few and far between. I see the big thing will be KEEPING it off, and mantaning a set weight, but I am working toward a lifestyle change that will help that. You know? You just get SICK of being fat, and feeling like [email protected]*t!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts