Troy-Bilt Pony Issues

Discussion in 'Troy-Bilt' started by dwitten13, May 25, 2010.

1. dwitten13

dwitten13 New Member

May 25, 2010
    Greetings all.

I am a new user and having some issues with my riding lawn mower. I am pretty tech savy, but not an expert, so I am looking for some help.

As of late my tractor stopped starting.

It is a 2006 Troy-Bilt Pony with a B&S engine. It very much seems like an electrical issue to or from a safety switch. It used to start every once in awhile, but now nothing.

I have removed the Brake Safety switch, had it tested at a local parts store, and they say it is good. To start the engine, the only thing I can find that says has to be engaged is the seat switch, the PTO off and the brake engaged. I have not yet been able to find the PTO switch, and the seat switch seems to be engaged while I am doing all this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

2. Windlake

Windlake New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Does it turn over and just not fire? Have you checked, are you getting spark?

3. dwitten13

dwitten13 New Member

May 25, 2010
    No, when I turn the key it does not turn over or even try to turn. No sound is made at all.

I have taken jumpers from the Tractor battey direct to the starter and gotten the starter to turn over, but that was it. Also put the multi-meter on the battery (which I replaced last season) and got a good 12 v.

so no, i have not checked the spark plug, but didn't think I was at that point.

4. Windlake

Windlake New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    No, if it's not even turning over you're not at that point yet. To me it sounds like it has to be a safety switch or grounding/contact issue. Could be a fuse or broken wire too. If it turns with direct contact from a jumper battery, something somewhere between your battery and the starter is breaking the circuit. Tough to track down. Wish I could help.

5. kirkridge

kirkridge Registered User

Jun 30, 2010
    switch

JD offers an improved starter relay to help with this problem. IT IS NOT THE SOLENOID but a starter relay. Might want to research that