Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have a 1980 vintage Troy-Bilt Horse rototiller, 6 HP Tecumseh, with less than 100 hrs. This vintage does not have the PTO dis/engage, so tines are live when in Forward or Reverse.

The tiller is in Low Speed range. I am unable to shift the speed lever from Low to High range. Any idea what my issue may be? Otherwise, the tiller runs perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
WELCOME to the forum!!!! Being a 1980 model with less than 100 hours tells me that this has spent 99.999% of its life just sitting. So my wild assed guess is that the linkage is rusted in place. Try some good penetrating oil on all the external pivot points in the linkage. Also try rocking the machine back and forth (front to back). Are you trying to shift it while on an incline? There may be too much of a load on the gears to allow them to disengage. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Reactions: deerhide

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disconnect rod that goes to arm on transmission, see if shifter moves, it has been my experience that the pivot point on the shifter handle is what is stuck or frozen if you look closely you will see a small oil hole, once you get it free keep lubed, may need a little heat to free up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts