Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been troubleshooting my 21 year old John Deere LT 166 lawn tractor, specifically starting issues. Other info if needed—has a Briggs and Stratton Vtwin 16 horsepower engine. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

There is something wrong with the electrical system. I turn the key and it makes a “click” sound once per key turn but engine will only start randomly. I need to keep turning the key multiple times and eventually it will start. I have already done a few things so it is worthwhile mentioning the parts I have already replaced. New Spark plugs 6 months ago. New positive battery terminal 3 months ago. New battery, new solenoid, and new starter all earlier this month. The other thing the tractor does is make a loud buzzing noise even after I turn the tractor off and pull the key out. The sound will last for about a minute then eventually stop. I'm stumped.

The starter was the last thing I replaced and I was really hoping that would fix it. My only other thought was that possibly it is the starting/key mechanism. But before I replace anything else I wanted to get some insight. So, in advance, I appreciate any help/advice you can provide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of this as I am having the same issue with my LT166. I think it is the brake safety switch which may be the same with yours? let me know how/if you fixed yours.......

·
Administrator
11,065 Posts
My Brake safety switch is worn out. No action from the key as should be, but it'll fire right up if I push on the brake pedal. The switch button is flattened out from use and won't work without the extra push on the pedal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.