1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with wiring on a Craftsman

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by Mini-Backyard-Mechanic, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Mini-Backyard-Mechanic

Mini-Backyard-Mechanic New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    We have just recently wired a push button start and kill switch on our Craftsman. It starts just fine but, the charging wire under the flyhead starts smoking. Does anyone know what is going on?

2. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy Mini-Backyard-Mechanic, welcome to the tractor forum.

If this just started after you installed push button start & kill switches, you should carefully review what you have done. Check the push buttons with an ohmmeter to be sure they don't have a circuit to ground when they should be 'open'.

3. Mini-Backyard-Mechanic

Mini-Backyard-Mechanic New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Hi thanks for the reply sixbales, okay got a few more questions for ya: I'm just learning how to do this so I don't understand how you can check the push button with the ohmmeter? I have one but what do you set it on? What do you mean about: Check the push buttons with an ohmmeter to be sure they don't have a circuit to ground when they should be 'open'.?
    I'm attempting to do this as a surprise for my Uncle who will no doubt give me a "hard time" if I have to go to him for help.