Tractor Forum banner

trees!!!!

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Cublover 
#1 ·
well its nearing spring. At my new farm I wanna plant about an acre of trees. What are good trees to plant that will grow fast and stand up to harsh weather and can be cut for firewood long down the road:confused:

#5 · (Edited)
red alder will suit your needs . although it is not as high density as an oak - it grows fast and is much sought after for furniture and musical instruments-- hybrid poplar is also fast growing - but bends more in the wind- also sought after for wod instruments and furinture by builders now as it mimics many finer woods and is easy and fast to grow-- you should contact your local ag agent - if you want to have firewood , don't grow any types of pines/ fir etc. too much pitch in woods to make it safe to burn inside-- any type of plum or cherry tree may also do good for you-- but if I were going to do this -- I wouild plant sycamores -- close together thay grow up real straight and with very few side growing branches -- good wood and beatiful for many uses -- burns fairly well

#7 ·
As someone already pointed out, there is no such thing as a fast growing good tree that makes good firewood or lumber. Usually fast growing trees are prone to gettinfg broken off in winds and the wood they produce is not strong for much of anything, and the wood if used for firewood burns up as quick as paper so it seems. But contrary to that, the lumber mills would like to tell you otherwise, with thewir tree plantations and the stud trees they grow almost overnight so it seems. Its a hell of anote when you get a 2 x 4 and count the growth rings and see 4 or 5 rings in addition to the center core, max. Then compare to old studs or 2 bys, which has lots of growth rings, and its still nice and straight and solid as can be, where the new stud tree wood is bowed up enough to make a wagon wheel. Guess thats why they like to leave them bundled up as long as possible with the steel banding. Ever watch when the folks at Lowes or Home Depot cuts those bands.........the bundle of the cheaper grade studs etc literally unloads themselves from the bundle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.