Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum. Hoping to get some help with my ford 801 series backhoe, possibly an 821. Recently purchased with a sticky transmission and trying to get it out of gear, it imploded. I figured I'd find a replacement transmission for it but the engraved i.d. is impossible to read.
My understanding is that the hundred series and previous transmissions are not a recommended swap and I should look for post 1957 transmissions. Is there any truth to this? I'm finding a ton of 8n's for a fraction of what it cost to rebuild my transmission. Any advice on this topic is much appreciated from a city slicker in the sticks that doesn't know what he's doing.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Cuisine Automotive lighting Font Rectangle Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Leaf Wood Gas

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Though any transmission from 1955-1964 will bolt up there are a couple of "gotchas" you may encounter. First is the later ones used a different block plate between the engine and transmission. I think? the later transmission is 1/16" shorter than the older ones. Not sure how that affects the hydraulic manifold between the pump and transmission but since you aren't using the three point you likely don't care about that except you MUST get the correct block plate that goes with the transmission or you may have clutch adjustment troubles.
Of greater importance is they also changed the spline count in the splined coupler between the transmission output shaft and pinion shaft somewhere around 1957 or 58? So again, though a different transmission will bolt up you could have a problem with the splined coupler not mating on both ends.
I'm more familliar with the 1965 and up tractors but know that much about the older ones.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Though any transmission from 1955-1964 will bolt up there are a couple of "gotchas" you may encounter. First is the later ones used a different block plate between the engine and transmission. I think? the later transmission is 1/16" shorter than the older ones. Not sure how that affects the hydraulic manifold between the pump and transmission but since you aren't using the three point you likely don't care about that except you MUST get the correct block plate that goes with the transmission or you may have clutch adjustment troubles.
Of greater importance is they also changed the spline count in the splined coupler between the transmission output shaft and pinion shaft somewhere around 1957 or 58? So again, though a different transmission will bolt up you could have a problem with the splined coupler not mating on both ends.
I'm more familliar with the 1965 and up tractors but know that much about the older ones.
So, a 65 and newer transmission would not work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts